PDA

View Full Version : TITAN OIL PUMP

Banditone
11-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Friend wants to use this In conjuction with a MOROSSO Baffled oil pan on his project clone 70 1/2 JERRY TITUS T/A with a 455SD MOTOR--Is this a good choice http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Banditone
11-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Friend wants to use this In conjuction with a MOROSSO Baffled oil pan on his project clone 70 1/2 JERRY TITUS T/A with a 455SD MOTOR--Is this a good choice http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

WDCreech
11-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Banditone, I have had Moroso pans and I am now running a Titan pump with a kickout pan built by Armando's. It took some major tweaking (w/a BFH) to get the pan to fit over the Titan pump. It would be the same with a Moroso. I understand that Canton makes a pan for a Pontiac that will work with the Titan, though.

Tom Vaught
11-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Once you actually get a pan to fit the Titan
pump you will have a great oil pump system.

Rodney Butler speaks very highly of the Titan
pump as does Joe Zajac and others.

Tom V.

WDCreech
11-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Tom is right about about the Titan making it a good system. My 474 4.25" stroke cast crank (3.25 main) has .0038 clearance on the mains, .0027 on the rods. I run Royal Puple 5-30 racing oil and was going through the traps at 7300, but since a convertor change, now 7100 with over 95# of oil pressure and drive down the return at about 2000rpm w/30# pressure. I don't think this could be done with a stock type pump, and live. Since the Titan pump is a "true" high volume pump, I would recommend upgrading the oil filtering to either dual filters or, as I did, a Systems 1.

Tom McQueen
11-06-2004, 08:09 PM
I have a Titan/billet fab pan for the new motor. It was recommended to me that I use #12 hose/fittings and an HP-6 type oil filter. This is a very large oil filter (~2 quart capacity) with a 1.5"X12 thread on it, and there is very little pressure drop thru the filter. These large filters are available from Moroso, Wix, Fram, K&N, etc.

slowbird
11-06-2004, 09:35 PM
I think BOP was working on making a pump like the Titan but cheaper and would fit in the oil pan without any mods. You could email them and see about it.

Banditone
11-07-2004, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the info guys--so will that TITAN PUMP never run the engine out of oil with a good pan like the CANTON -he checked on a DRY SUMP SYSTEM from BOP but TO EXPENSIVE--my friend says he would run Low on oil with his SD 80 LB Oil pump In his 455SD powered 71 RACER T/A- Not good when your going 100 mph + IE. At HOCKENHIEM race course in GERMANY http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Banditone
11-07-2004, 04:36 AM
Here's a good pic of his 71 RACER 455SD powered T/A AND his 73 SD455 T/A together--for a little fun race http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

bmpmdf
11-07-2004, 04:42 AM
Nice 'Birds in the picture! I haven't used a Titan pump in a Pontiac, but they sure make a great pump for the high end wet sump bbc and bbf's that I've worked on. And they acted just as Bill described in those engines too. A stock style just doesn't compare, even a blueprinted one with all coated gears (I don't run out of the box oil pumps anymore).

Banditone
11-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Will the TITAN OIL PUMP fit with the MILODON ROAD RACE BAFFLED OIL PAN -He can get one --or will it fit just with the CANTON PAN with no mods http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Brian Baker
11-07-2004, 03:06 PM
I know of no pan, from Canton or otherwise, that will fit this pump without modifications. The pump body is too large, requiring modifications to the rear (and possibly side) of the pan. I watched Charlie Baesch modify a portion of his pan to make it fit, and the whole back of it was cut out.

Brian Baker
11-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Additionally, I know of no street/strip engine, and very few full drag race engines, that would require this pump. Just my two cents.

Banditone
11-07-2004, 03:31 PM
TOM V--Brian-- thanks for the info-- www.jbp-pontiac.com (http://www.jbp-pontiac.com) has the TITAN OIL PUMP but they require a special pan --can't see one there -PROBABLY have to email them for info http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Brian Baker
11-07-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm sure that, for a fee of course, Butler or one of the other Pontiac vendors can provide a pan that fits.

WDCreech
11-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Call Titan! They recommended a pan to me. I thougt it was Canton, but it could have ben Steff,s or any one. I chose to modify the one that I got from Armando.

Tom McQueen
11-07-2004, 05:41 PM
When I bought my Titan, they recommended Billet Fabrication pans. Thats why I went with that pan. At one time you could order the Titan and pan together and get a price cut. Dont know if that deal is still going.

WDCreech
11-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Also, now that I have the Titan pump to get measurements for, I'm sure that Armando could build me a pan that fits! The pan that he built for me has trap doors and a built in windage screen and I think it was well worth the $325 that I paid several years ago. My pan is flat bottomed for a tube chassis, but he charged me the same as a stock chassis pan. I imagine that his prices are up a bit now, but he builds an excellent piece!

WDCreech
11-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Billit Fabrications! I knew it was one of the more popular manufacturers. Since I've been plugging Armando's pans, if your interested, do a search for "armando's racing", and it should be the first website that comes up. If you call them, Armando's wife is a little hard to understand, and Armando is almost impossible understand, but they are very nice people. I sent a check for the pan plus freight, made out to Armando's Racing Oil Pans, and they hadn't established the bussiness yet. So I get the pan, with my check, asking that it be made out to Armando Rodriges. Now, this is the first time that I had ever dealt with them. Is that trusting, or what?

FantomPoncho
11-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Titan pump, one word...Awesome! This is what's used in Steve Barcak's blown nitro dragster. Of course, it caused major issues in oil pan fabrication. Since the oil pan on the dragster is designed to come off between rounds for servicing of the bearings, clearance around the pump was tricky.

Also keep in mind, that for high horsepower applications, a diaper is recommended which also plays into the design of the oil pan.

Mr. P-Body
11-08-2004, 07:15 AM
The Titan is the best wet-sump pump out there today. There may be some others coming, based on the same "rotary" principle.
Stef's has a Pontiac pan made for use with the Titan pump.

White Warrior
11-08-2004, 11:23 AM
I had very good results with the Titan pump in my engines. There is less aeration with the gerotor type than a spur gear pump. One looks at his oil pressure guage and assumes everything is OK because it shows 80 lbs during a run. How much of what is coming out of the pump is a froth of air and oil? Air doesn't lube very well.
Running 80-100 lbs of oil pressure is a waste of horsepower. With a well designed system 60 lbs is enough,even above 8000 rpm.
I ran a kicked out pan with a unidirectional screen with the Titan pump,a 2 qt oil accumulator and drains on the back of both heads going to the lower part of the oil pan. The drains were a big help,keeping a large amount of oil from being stuck in the heads and then be poured over the cam and crank to cause windage and froth.
I had to put a small kickout in the rear of the pan to accomodate the Titan but it was well worth it.
Some of my competators ran external pumps but I saw two of them lose engines when their belts or drive pulleys failed. That won't happen with a Titan.

N2OGTO
11-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Any issues with sucking the pan dry at the end of the track with a Titan pump in a Pontiac? Any drainback mods that will help? I saw this on a Blown Injected Alcohol Olds motor.

White Warrior
11-10-2004, 09:06 AM
Sucking the pan dry? Only if you have a massive leak and then you will be in the guardrail. The only place that would retain oil in any quantity are the heads and external drains prevent that. A Titan pump has a pressure adjustment that lets you set it for whatever you need.

Banditone
11-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the info-White Warrior-whats the proper way of installing those external drain back hoses -fitting sizes etc.--heres a pic of one of his SD455 engines http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif.

N2OGTO
11-11-2004, 09:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by White Warrior:
Sucking the pan dry? Only if you have a massive leak and then you will be in the guardrail. The only place that would retain oil in any quantity are the heads and external drains prevent that. A Titan pump has a pressure adjustment that lets you set it for whatever you need. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe his valley screens slowed drainback? I'm talking about an Olds...can't remember what the drainback 'sitch is with their 455. By external, do you mean plumbed lines outside the block or drain holes in the head?

White Warrior
11-12-2004, 09:41 AM
The lines I used were -8s from the back of the heds to the sides of the pan. You should have the engine on a stand with the headers on when you do the planning.See my picture

White Warrior
11-12-2004, 09:51 AM
Picture-I hope.