PDA

View Full Version : Twin turbo mock up pics

firechicken
11-20-2004, 10:47 AM
I finally got another TB0305 and think I have them positioned as best I can. Here's a couple shots to give you an idea of my set up. The turbine outlets seem to work well with the stock wastegates for exhaust orientation.

firechicken
11-20-2004, 10:47 AM
I finally got another TB0305 and think I have them positioned as best I can. Here's a couple shots to give you an idea of my set up. The turbine outlets seem to work well with the stock wastegates for exhaust orientation.

firechicken
11-20-2004, 10:48 AM
From the side

455Turbo
11-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Looks great!

RoyalPurpleOil
11-20-2004, 12:49 PM
Gonna be too much fun!

Doug Christie
11-20-2004, 03:11 PM
The foliage is a nice touch too. http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

burch
11-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Lookin' good! Care to give us a rundown on the amount of work left to do/when you think it'll be hitting the track?

455wagon
11-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Those q-jets look close to the line of the hood. What are you planning for the air cleaner/hat assembly? Looks like just about the right amount of overkill. I'm jealous.

firechicken
11-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Yes, carbs are close to the hood. I think I may have to find a regular Firebird hood and add a couple scoops to clear the air cleaners. I was hoping for all under the hood, but looks like it won't happen unless anyone on the board has an idea.
My local track doesn't re-open until June so it won't see any track time before then. Definatly some street tuning though when it's finished. Work left to do? Starting on the 3" downpipes tomorrow and after that it's oil feeds and returns, intake plumbing, fuel lines, throttle cables and I still have to convert to manual brakes. Water injection and O2 sensors. Boost control, A/F ratio meter and boost retard ignition. Wow, when you have it all in front of you, there's a lot to do still.

455wagon
11-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Sorry I just have to say it after seeing that last pic.

Looks like a "bird of prey"

02Hawk
11-21-2004, 10:56 AM
Major "WOW" factor
Good Luck

78 GHOST
11-21-2004, 01:16 PM
I applaud your tenacity and craftsmanship. The visual impact is really something else.

One thing that came to mind was your decision to go with a draw through setup rather than a blow-through setup.

There are two potential issues I can see:

-Orientation of Q-Jets on baseplates. Taking corners with any enthusiasm might cause fuel to slosh out the vent.

-You're gonna have a lot of high-temperature, pressurized, fuel-laden air plumbed through piping that must be exactly 100% leak proof under pressurization.. or you have a substantial fire/explosion hazard. A blow-thru design eliminates this possibility.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, merely hope you've considered the potential downside of your design. -Matt

Half-Inch Stud
11-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Seems good for the fuel/Air, but I'm curious about the throttle response (off-idle, etc) and curious about the throtle cable.
HIS

firechicken
11-21-2004, 05:08 PM
I've had a vision of this twin drw through set up for years before fuel injection was commonplace. Although I'm sure a blow thru system would probably work better, for various reasons, I decided to stick to my guns and be different. I'm curious about the throttle response as well but am expecting it to be- not so good. I've been giving some thought to some type of an accelerator pump mounted at the top of the plenum for a quick shot of fuel when the throttles are opened but haven't quite figured out how to make that work.

Taff
11-21-2004, 05:10 PM
I built a twin turbo system a couple of years ago for my 400 motor, originally a blow through. I later converted it to a draw through system,and to be honest I didn't see any change in throttle response.
I used ordinary Gates hoses for the tubes from turbo to plenum and never had a problem with them at 15psi of boost. I was also using an old Holley 800 double pumper with pretty loose throttle shafts and didn't get any leakage from it,in either blow or draw through mode.
I too had the problem of the airfilter sticking up through the hood,as you can see in the (poor) pic.

Taff
11-21-2004, 05:14 PM
Another (poor)pic.

Junkyard Dog
11-22-2004, 08:21 AM
Taff, what kind of car is that?

russ467
11-22-2004, 08:23 AM
looks like an Opel, but it cant be a GT by the looks of the fender line.

Taff
11-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Junkyard dog, it's an '84 Opel Manta GTE. Russ, you were half right. It's been a good car,I've ran 10.50's at 126mph in it with a mild 406 motor, but when it was turbo'd it used to overpower the chassis (in street trim),could only get a 13.1 at 121mph out of it. Sideways most of the way http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif