PDA

View Full Version : KRE D's

rwf6684jr
11-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Keeping in mind that the KRE d-ports may have been designed for a better than stock replacement street/strip head, is it too soon to know the maximum horsepower potential for them, or does anyone have a good guess? Sorry guy's, just trying to get some idea's for this winter's engine build.

rwf6684jr
11-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Keeping in mind that the KRE d-ports may have been designed for a better than stock replacement street/strip head, is it too soon to know the maximum horsepower potential for them, or does anyone have a good guess? Sorry guy's, just trying to get some idea's for this winter's engine build.

disc0monkey
11-04-2004, 07:25 PM
what do you mean by maximum hp potential? i think they can be ported to 320 cfm which should support at least 735 hp. just run the numbers on the calculator at wallaceracing.com. Perhaps CliffR can give you a better answer.

Bill Bolin
11-04-2004, 07:31 PM
I know of a set flowing 335 and they are still being worked on....

bmpmdf
11-05-2004, 01:02 AM
My 400 +.040" got 653HP. There is plenty that can still be done to them too.

BVR421
11-05-2004, 01:37 AM
bmpmdf. about 320 cfm?
was that your handiwork on the heads? that turned out to be a pretty nice 400 didnt it? You are a hell of an engine builder, next time you break down on the way to the dyno call me!!! LOL I wanted to see you compete, I know you would have been right in there.

I wonder what is the relative labor to get say 320 on a kre intake VS labor to get 320 on an Ehead?
That expensive specialized labor has to be figured into the total cost involved

discomonkey, try the SuperFlow equation

.25714 X 8 X cfm

Cliff R
11-05-2004, 04:44 AM
KRE already has a CNC program for around 315-320cfm. The heads will go to at least 350cfm as they are cast solid on the intake side and there is plenty of material for serious porting. They were proactive enough during their developement to see the possibilities for serious HP versions, even though the concentration now is to offer them as "D" port replacment heads in as cast and CNC'd versions.

One must keep in mind that the number of cars actually using them that record dyno and track numbers are relatively few....so currently feedback is somewhat limited. This is what sparked our testing back in August. KRE gave us direct dyno numbers, then followed them up with track numbers on a true "daily driven" car using mostly stock parts.

There is still a LOT of testing to be done, so it may be quite some time before we see the "maximum horsepower potential" from the heads...but I don't think that we will be disappointed!......Cliff

bmpmdf
11-05-2004, 04:48 AM
Thanks BVR421. If I would have called at about 11:30m, would I have been in hock? That is about what time the truck let me down. Seems that it may have been a mechanics fault as the o ring was replaced but not correctly for the fuel injector rail. I wa very disappointed as I felt I had a very good combo. On the heads, I started with KRE's cnc ported d-ports. I opened up the exhuast more, and did some work in the intake ports along the walls. One area I didn't have time to address that I wanted to was in the floor of the exhaust. There is a slight dip that needs filled. But time and not being able to fill with weld it is still there. I am considering selling this engine and building the roller cam bearing combination I would have had if the bearings had been installed right. The different firing order and less fiction would have freed up more power everywhere. Add in going to the belt drive if money would have allowed for me, And I am sure that things would have been very good in the contest. I am interested in flowing these heads now, but I have no idea when or if it will happen.

67gtocpe
11-05-2004, 06:31 AM
I have KRE heads on my 67 GTO on a stroked 400 and this motor is very mild and you most likely wouldnt know it from a stock 400 if you did nt open the hood. But the power over the stock motor is completely different.My question to Cliff is Since you say your Ventura is a quoate "True daily driver car". Just curious how many miles a year do you put on the Ventura and have you had it on the highway for any type of say 1 hour or more trips with the KRE heads? Im just curious how the KRE heads are doing and performed on a daily driver that I would assume sees some highway time, especially considering where your shop is.I have only had my car going on short little trips with less than 100 miles on the car so far. But you should have several hundred on yours by now with it being a daily driven car. So was curious how it is doing , as a driver and not just strip.

Cliff R
11-05-2004, 10:48 AM
We swapped on the KRE heads in late July, then went to the track the first week of August. Over 40 runs were logged with the new heads, then about 1000 street miles over the past couple of months. To date the longest continuous cruising has been about 45 minutes. No issues anywhere except that the engine warms up to temp much quicker than the iron heads did. No indications of running hot/overheating/detonation on 92/93 octane fuel.

I've only raced the car once since the Nat's at Norwalk, went 7.40's at just under 93mph (1/8th mile). Done racing for this season and woln't log to many more street miles until next spring.....Cliff

ventura7211
11-05-2004, 11:14 AM
How is the divider between the center ports holding up?

bmpmdf
11-05-2004, 05:40 PM
I can let you know on the divider tomorrow as I am pulling the engine out of my Vega. The Vega is going to get some updating and there is no reason to leave the engine in it, plus I am going to use it for mock up to make my mid plate for my 69 Pro Street Firebird. The Firebird is where it will end up as a perminate home if I don't sell it.