PDA

View Full Version : Proper Clearance between distributor gear and housing

Tim Corcoran
11-01-2004, 01:50 PM
What is the proper clearance between the distributor gear and the housing for a MSD Pro Billet distributor? Is there a problem associated with a larger than recommended clearance.

Tim

Tim Corcoran
11-01-2004, 01:50 PM
What is the proper clearance between the distributor gear and the housing for a MSD Pro Billet distributor? Is there a problem associated with a larger than recommended clearance.

Tim

WARPed
11-01-2004, 04:16 PM
The greater the amount of play between the gear and housing the more timing variance you are likely to have. On GM factory distributors I set them to .010” or less.

BVR421
11-01-2004, 09:05 PM
As you notice when dropping in a dist, as the gear meshs with the cam gear the rotor rotates quite a bit as the dist is on the way down into the block. Picture the shaft being allowed to have much vertical motion and you can picture the timing varying as this happens. There has always been some debate about whether it actually changes timing but I think it can so I like the shaft fairly well posisioned.
mr gasket, etc has shim kits with thick and thins to adjust clearance. they are generic chev GM kits but the diameter is the same
dont use ordinary washers or they will end up in the oil pump you need the hardened washers
I try to get about 010 to 016, close to no vertical movement but enough to allow for heat expansion so the washers dont actually have to wash (8- )