PDA

View Full Version : Early Pontiac 4 cylinder timing chain

GP-K
02-20-2000, 11:42 PM
Does anyone know if the old big 4 cylinder timing chain is still available from some source? I am again helping a friend of mine with his autocross car, and I know from experience that this is the best option for a stock appearing timing chain and gear set.

Double roller chainss, gear drives, etc are not allowed by the rules, and are acutally a frequent protest item in street prepared. So the are not an option.

Thanks,

K.

GP-K
02-20-2000, 11:42 PM
Does anyone know if the old big 4 cylinder timing chain is still available from some source? I am again helping a friend of mine with his autocross car, and I know from experience that this is the best option for a stock appearing timing chain and gear set.

Double roller chainss, gear drives, etc are not allowed by the rules, and are acutally a frequent protest item in street prepared. So the are not an option.

Thanks,

K.

Scott Misus
02-21-2000, 02:12 AM
Those chains with the funky little "X" shaped tensioners are impossible to find. As a last (or first) resort, I'd try Ron's Pontiac Parts, if they still exist. Hopefully, somebody will happen along with more info than this.

Todd
02-21-2000, 10:27 PM
[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 07-18-2000).]

GP-K
02-22-2000, 12:04 AM
Todd,
The chains are interchangeable from the 4 cylinder to the V8. What we want to do is use the 4 cylinder version in a Poncho V8.
The old 4 cyl. chains were made significantly stronger than the similar standard V8 chain, because of the extreme harmonics in the old Pontiac 4 cylinder. These chains were desirable before when they were a less expensive alternative to a double roller. (much less stretch than the standard chain) We want to use the 4 cyl. chain because it is indistinguishable to most from the standard V8 chain, but much stronger, and the SCCA rules do not allow use of a double roller, etc.

Thanks for the reply,

K

PONTIAC DUDE
02-22-2000, 08:55 AM
No, the difference is the 4 cylinder assembly is wider. the gears & chain are noticably wider thus taking more load. Melling used to make this assembly but quit about 4 yrs ago. I have 1 left. & a used one with about 25 passes on it. Later.