PDA

View Full Version : 326 cylinder wall thickness and transaxle

Wade Congdon
01-10-2000, 05:56 PM
I was talking with Arnie this morning and he wanted me to post these questions? Has anyone sonic checked a 326 block and if so what wall thicknesses can one expect? Also does anyone have experince with the 326 (non super duty) transaxle unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wade Congdon - BOP Engineering

Wade Congdon
01-10-2000, 05:56 PM
I was talking with Arnie this morning and he wanted me to post these questions? Has anyone sonic checked a 326 block and if so what wall thicknesses can one expect? Also does anyone have experince with the 326 (non super duty) transaxle unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wade Congdon - BOP Engineering

Doug
01-12-2000, 12:18 AM
Wade,
Something to keep in mind. The 1963 326 engine is actually 336 cubes. Beginning in 1964 the 326 was a 326. Presumably the 63 had a bigger bore than the later ones. The later years may have thicker sidewalls. Supposedly, the 1963 engine at 336 cubes was already in production when the GM ban on racing rules took affect. Upper management said to just call it 326 cubes and went ahead and put it in the 63's.

About the transaxles. I've talked to a guy who had a mildly souped up(336-oops 326)automatic car that he ran hard on the street. He said he had a problem of " the axles kept pushing out the side of the case".

I've read that some beefier Corvair parts
fit these transaxles. These parts may be from the Corvair wagons and trucks.

Do you recall the "John Fitch" Corvairs that he built as an aftermarket high performance version. I've always wondered what kind of goodies he used that might fit a Tempest.

Happy hunting!