PDA

View Full Version : Roll Bar

Vascar
01-08-2000, 12:24 AM
I have little cracks at the back corner of my roof where the roof meets the door windows. I was wondering if a roll bar will help stop this?
One would think with the weight of these cars they wouldn't twist.

Vascar
01-08-2000, 12:24 AM
I have little cracks at the back corner of my roof where the roof meets the door windows. I was wondering if a roll bar will help stop this?
One would think with the weight of these cars they wouldn't twist.

Guy Mazza
01-08-2000, 02:04 AM
Many things can cause these cracks. What car are we talking about? F-Body (firebird,t/a "unibody", or A-Body (GTO,LeMans,Tempest "full-frame")?Of course a rollbar will stiffen the car & make it more consistent, but the cracks may not be from "twisting". Almost all 70's era f-bodys have cracks at the roof where the rear upper window corner is.Sometimes its just that old factory bodywork is starting to go.Hope this helps. Good Luck,Guy - O.P.R.A.

Vascar
01-08-2000, 10:15 AM
I'ts a 77 Trans Am

Guy Mazza
01-08-2000, 10:26 AM
Vascar,I'd have to say the cracks on your t/a are normal.This is where the factory joined the qtr panel to roof,and yes they did use plastic filler at the seam.However a rollbar will help esp. w/ T-TOPS! Good Luck.
Guy - O.P.R.A.

PONTIAC DUDE
01-08-2000, 10:31 AM
This is a normal occurance with the unibody F cars. Caused by cournering,hard wear & tear flexing(firebirds & the other cheby one). Having had a bizzion Firebirds & Camaro's, frame connectors (welded in only). solid bushings & a roll cage help. My current Firebird had this done from day one & is void of any cracks & is hammered hard so It does help in a variety of ways others can post. Later

Paul Spotts
01-10-2000, 08:31 PM
The dude hit it on the head. If your not racing (not faster then 11's) you will elimate the stress cracks with the weld in (or bolt in and welded) frame connectors. The body bushings and leaf spring bushings(front and rear) also should be replaced or checked - solid for racing. If you are racing and and plan on 11's the bar is a must and will help in rigity. Frame connectors are the first thing I would suggest.