PDA

View Full Version : Crower cam

slobrd
03-18-2000, 06:07 PM
I just recieved a Crower cam from PAW and the lobes are considerably thinner in width than other Pontiac cams I've used. I plan to use it in a 455 with edelbrock assembled heads. Does anybody have some reasuring advice that I haven't gotten a the wrong cam shipped to me or that the cam lobe width varies among cam makers?
It stands to reason that if the lobe width is different then the base circle geometry could be off as well. I might have gotten a cam that requires different springs than those edelbrock has installed on these heads.

slobrd
03-18-2000, 06:07 PM
I just recieved a Crower cam from PAW and the lobes are considerably thinner in width than other Pontiac cams I've used. I plan to use it in a 455 with edelbrock assembled heads. Does anybody have some reasuring advice that I haven't gotten a the wrong cam shipped to me or that the cam lobe width varies among cam makers?
It stands to reason that if the lobe width is different then the base circle geometry could be off as well. I might have gotten a cam that requires different springs than those edelbrock has installed on these heads.

Skip Fix
03-19-2000, 07:03 PM
Most cam blanks are made by only 1or 2 manufactruers for all the companies. Spring needs are a function of the type of cam hydraulic/ solid pretty close roller totally different. The spring keeps the lifter following the lobe so its tension is dependent on fast the lobe lifts the valve.

The width of the lobe could be a wear factor but the whole lifter isn't being touched anyway. If it fits in the motor and the lobes look correct for firing order its probably the correct blank.

Base circle relates to the whole lobe from the no lift portion to the lift. It is generally talked about as a way to get a hight lift lobe to pass through the bearings. It could drop the lifter and uncover the oil feed hole at the bottom of the circle(no lift) but probably would only happen if the oil holes were enlarged(I have a roller in one block because even a normal base circle cam did this). Most Pontiac cams don't have that much lift to really need this done.

A reground cam could possible have a smaller base circle but then you start getting out of the heat treat portion of the blank too.

Call Crower with the serial number on the back of the cam and ask what they say, too.