PDA

View Full Version : Roller Cams...

KevinDush
02-29-2000, 07:09 PM
Could somebody please either explain to me about roller cams (how they work, what's different vs. a hydraulic cam, what other components are necessary to use one, etc) or tell me of a good article somewhere either online or in a recent magazine?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin Dush
kevin@fizziwigs.com

KevinDush
02-29-2000, 07:09 PM
Could somebody please either explain to me about roller cams (how they work, what's different vs. a hydraulic cam, what other components are necessary to use one, etc) or tell me of a good article somewhere either online or in a recent magazine?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin Dush
kevin@fizziwigs.com

SCOTT HILLIARD
02-29-2000, 08:17 PM
Kevin, Try the NEW Muscle Car review -- May 2000. Page 51-59

Scott '69 GTO CONV.

PONTIAC DUDE
03-01-2000, 04:10 PM
Don't let Gach see this one or I'll be reading his post(answer)for a month. Long winded LOU. Signed, Pinkie. Hahahaha

[This message has been edited by PONTIAC DUDE (edited 03-01-2000).]

Paul Spotts
03-02-2000, 11:47 PM
Kevin - a quick description is - a roller cam is steel - hydr. is cast iron. The ramp on a roller cam has a flatter point allowing the valve to open and close quicker and stay open longer. The lifter has a roller bottom instead of a flat bottom (please no comments) like the hydraulic unit. The difference from the seat of your pants(again no comment - you know who you are) is awesome - a roller cam engine revs quicker and produces much more power. everything in the valve train must be strong because most rollers are high lift - they need stiff springs,HD retainers,roller rockers, chrome moly push rods, lash caps etc etc (read expensive)

[This message has been edited by Paul Spotts (edited 03-02-2000).]