PDA

View Full Version : First hand sonic tests on IA block

KRE
01-03-2000, 10:39 PM
This has been a question in debate for some time. All I can give is the information that we have on the blocks that we have gotten in. This is what we have found on sonic testing the new blocks. Their were two spots that we found that were the thinnest. Both these spots were the size of a dime. With a 4.375 bore the thinnest one would have a wall thickness of .1775. All other areas of the block did have a thickness of .215+ on that bore size. I can't say that every block is ok but I can say that the ones that we have checked are good. This is a new product so give everyone that has one sometime to test them.

KRE
01-03-2000, 10:39 PM
This has been a question in debate for some time. All I can give is the information that we have on the blocks that we have gotten in. This is what we have found on sonic testing the new blocks. Their were two spots that we found that were the thinnest. Both these spots were the size of a dime. With a 4.375 bore the thinnest one would have a wall thickness of .1775. All other areas of the block did have a thickness of .215+ on that bore size. I can't say that every block is ok but I can say that the ones that we have checked are good. This is a new product so give everyone that has one sometime to test them.

Vascar
01-03-2000, 11:19 PM
Sounds like a very good block. I don't think there's anything to complain about there.

Frank
01-03-2000, 11:53 PM
Thanks KRE for some first hand information. The bad publicity was passed along by someone who never even saw one. Your measurements concur with mine.

Gach
01-04-2000, 12:45 AM
KRE, those are good results, allot better then the two I have let me tell you. I'll give you the test per cylinder. I have two, Cynlinder #3 .121 .157 .164, those are all on the same side, being the trush side, taking the reading from 1.5" from the top and 3.125", NOT GOOD so that means it's allot bigger then a dime" trust me. Cylinder # 2 .158 .169 .151 again all on the same side. same spot, # 6 .135 .167 same wall and in the same spot. Now # 8 .157 the only cylinder that only has one thin spot. Your opening a can of wrams. I've been kind.

Gach
01-04-2000, 12:55 AM
Frank, send me a copy of your sonic test, from the block you bought from Nunzi

Frank
01-04-2000, 02:35 AM
Don't worry about me. Do not use my name in your posts. You have been warned.

Bob Dillon
01-04-2000, 11:30 AM
Uh, Mr. Davis? Where did you obtain your block? Mr. Dculow advised me by e-mail
that he hasn't shipped a block to you.
Secondly, Nunzi has yet to buy a block,
and you advised Gach by e-mail that is where
you got yours. So, it would seem that, like
most of us, you have no first-hand experience
with the new block.
While I have no interest in one, as I am
not a Pontiac racer, and further, agree with
many others that the proof will come with the
opening of racing season this spring, I am
curious as to the source of your knowledge.
Lastly, when you make a post in a public
forum, I don't think you have either the right or the means to decide who may comment
on it. "Warned?" Sounds ominous. Pray tell,
what if the toothless "warning" is ignored?
Let's stick to facts here, and try to
impart some manners at the same time.
Will you now "warn" me?

KO
01-04-2000, 12:54 PM
Who cares? Why do you have to waste space? Frank doesn't have a block, Gach doesn't have a block and you don't have a block so why are you posting about first hand experience? Seems like you have a lot time on your hands, why don't you try to use it productively?

PONTIAC DUDE
01-04-2000, 03:44 PM
Wake me when it's over, Ok. Later dude

Gach
01-04-2000, 09:19 PM
I think we have to clarify what we consider first hand information, A Uni Boring test that's provided with each and ever block produce, and has the same number as the block, to me is consider first hand information. Now are other sonic test that were done on that same block valid, if the back up the original Uni Boring test. provided with the block, will I guess they could be questionable even though the back up what was sold with the block. I do, how ever" think if you make a public statement as some have saying they own a block, that person has to provide some kind of proof,
when it's found out that, that person doesn't even own a block, they lose creditability.

So can we say test results provided by KRE who have apparently done there own test, has no creditability, or should we say we can't trust the Uni Boring test, which is it. The test results I posted was from Uni-Boring test sold with that same block. The other independent test just back up what
the Uni-Boring test says.

Maybe we should start another topic, by another vender maybe that will give it even more creditability. After all", who are we to question when a vender post results, but" do we need yet another topic. I surpose this makes it official, and it's not to be question. One of the purposes of this
board is to make people aware, just what if ? this block in particular was bought by a vender then resold.

Do these test results I posted mean that the block is no good, NO! it simply means if it's to be used in a high hp application that it has to be HARD BLOCK, perhaps this is the reason it was resold. I'm I saying all blocks are like this NO! I'm NOT !. All I'm saying is make sure you know what your getting before you lay out 4000.00 for a block! Do some feel I'm attacking the new block, OOh I'm sure they due, but the simple truth is, I'm just bring this to everyone attention. Because at least I can back up what I say, and not just making comments because I don't like some one. I think if you don't
have any test results you shouldn't be making comments, but if you have proof that some one as made felse statements, then you have the right to call that person out for proof. Just making a statement because your trying to help out your buddy, and stop him from making a fool of himself has no place in this topic, that's my own opinion. I also think when you continuely bring up a topic, but in
a diferent furom it's only to try and discredit what has already be stated.

Wade Congdon
01-04-2000, 11:44 PM
We have had two of the tall deck IA blocks in our shop. Both have been very close to the dimensions that KRE described.

Wade Congdon - BOP Engineering

Frank
01-05-2000, 01:02 AM
After all that BS, the question is do you have a block? No, therefore whatever you say is second hand (like everything else you post). Get it?

Bob Dillon
01-05-2000, 01:27 AM
Yes, Frank, we get it. You don't have a
block either. Neither of the sources you used
have ever heard of you. Get it now?

llucas
01-09-2000, 01:07 PM
I thought the new boards were supposed to stop all this CRAP!!!! Looks like the same lame posts from the same lame posters! What a waste!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank
01-09-2000, 01:13 PM
Post frivolous comments elsewhere. This message string is about first hand experience with IA blocks.