PDA

View Full Version : cam journal align boring

77TA
03-12-2000, 10:26 PM
I have the worst luck ! We started to do the assembly of my 455 and first off we checked the cam fit and it appears that the number 3 journal is out of line. the cam turns free with that bearing removed from the engine. the journals on the cam are ok We even polished about .001-.002 off them to try and get it to go. I was wondering what to expect to pay and how common is this sort of thing !!

77TA
03-12-2000, 10:26 PM
I have the worst luck ! We started to do the assembly of my 455 and first off we checked the cam fit and it appears that the number 3 journal is out of line. the cam turns free with that bearing removed from the engine. the journals on the cam are ok We even polished about .001-.002 off them to try and get it to go. I was wondering what to expect to pay and how common is this sort of thing !!

PROBRD
03-13-2000, 12:09 AM
I had that problem when we changed the cam bearings recently. My machine shop said it's a fairly common thing with big block chevys. He said that sometimes the cam holes are too small and when you install the bearing it makes the bearing clearance too small. He said it was an easy fix by machining the outside of the bearing and then installing it. Measure the diameter of the #3 hole and one of the others and take the difference off of the outside of the bearing. It seems to me that it was the #3 opening in my engine also. Good luck

------------------
PROBRD
(probrd1@aol.com)

[This message has been edited by PROBRD (edited 03-12-2000).]