PDA

View Full Version : Loud Knock heard when brake pedal is depressed...what can cause this?

Amtcoastie76
03-27-2003, 01:32 PM
I noticed when I drive my 65 catalina around the brakes work fine until I come to a complete stop and release the pedal and brakes i hear a loud knock coming from the left front wheel well, it could aslo be coming from the right front but i think its just the lh side. what can cause this? is it just a brake pad adjustment to the drum? I rebuilt all the brakes about 6 months ago and everything seems to be fine. My concern is that its so loud it sounds like something is hitting.any help is appreciated.

Amtcoastie76
03-27-2003, 01:32 PM
I noticed when I drive my 65 catalina around the brakes work fine until I come to a complete stop and release the pedal and brakes i hear a loud knock coming from the left front wheel well, it could aslo be coming from the right front but i think its just the lh side. what can cause this? is it just a brake pad adjustment to the drum? I rebuilt all the brakes about 6 months ago and everything seems to be fine. My concern is that its so loud it sounds like something is hitting.any help is appreciated.

goatless
03-27-2003, 06:09 PM
Sounds like you might have something loose. Give the front end a quick onceover to make sure.

Murf
03-27-2003, 07:12 PM
I think I would look over the ball joints and control arm bushings real good. They will sometimes pop when the load on them changes.

Later, Murf

SJMule
03-27-2003, 07:25 PM
My last alignment clowns didn't tighten upper control arm Heard my shims dropping on the street http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

We'll remain their pretty sailor boys hold our heads up to the gun "Tull"

mike nixon
03-28-2003, 08:10 AM
i'd look the suspension over carefully for wear. as mentioned above upper/ lower bushings can cause this.

grooved backing plates can cause a noise when the shoes retract, but usually it's more of a click than a pop or bang.

normally ball joints pop when the suspension geometry changes.

if you don't find anything obvious take it to a good suspension shop and have it checked out.

trust me, a wheel coming off is no fun.

mike

Mootie
03-29-2003, 11:04 AM
Had the same noise on my GTO-I thought it was a brake issue--but found no problems. After raising the hood and having a buddy release the brakes gently whilst I peered into the engine compartment, I could see the upper left control arm "popping". Bushings were shot.
Mootie