PDA

View Full Version : Plug Question, champion/autolite/ac

KEV
03-08-2000, 10:46 AM
Hey guys! I tried to purchase a set of R44S AC plugs. I look all over and can not find one. Finally, one parts guy says the R44S has been superseeded by R43S. Well R43S is one heat range cooler than a R44S. How can this be considered superseeded? Looks like they just quit offering the R44s plug!

I am pretty comfortable with the AC plug heat ranges and how the plugs act in my car. AC has thrown me a bit of a curve here. I have looked at champion plugs and they show one plug that cross references to the R45S, R44S, and R43S (per the parts counter guy). How is this possible? One Champion plug covers 3 AC heat ranges? Does not seem to make sense to me.

I know some have run autolites on the board and was going to give them a try. I have had bad experiences with champions in the past and do not think I will try them again just yet. My question is what autolite plug matches the R45S heat range and what autolite plug matches up with the R44S heat range.

Thanks for the info.

------------------
Kevin Swaney
Gold '66 GTO, 389 4 spd with Trips
13.042 @ 106.64 mph

KEV
03-08-2000, 10:46 AM
Hey guys! I tried to purchase a set of R44S AC plugs. I look all over and can not find one. Finally, one parts guy says the R44S has been superseeded by R43S. Well R43S is one heat range cooler than a R44S. How can this be considered superseeded? Looks like they just quit offering the R44s plug!

I am pretty comfortable with the AC plug heat ranges and how the plugs act in my car. AC has thrown me a bit of a curve here. I have looked at champion plugs and they show one plug that cross references to the R45S, R44S, and R43S (per the parts counter guy). How is this possible? One Champion plug covers 3 AC heat ranges? Does not seem to make sense to me.

I know some have run autolites on the board and was going to give them a try. I have had bad experiences with champions in the past and do not think I will try them again just yet. My question is what autolite plug matches the R45S heat range and what autolite plug matches up with the R44S heat range.

Thanks for the info.

------------------
Kevin Swaney
Gold '66 GTO, 389 4 spd with Trips
13.042 @ 106.64 mph

Larry Navarro
03-08-2000, 07:35 PM
BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I HAVE DONE PLUG SHOPPING AT WAL-MART AUTOMOTIVE AREA. THEY HAVE A WIDE ASSORTMENT OF AC DELCO PLUGS AS WELL AS AUTOLITE AND CHAMPION,(PLATINUM ALSO). THE ONE I SHOPPED AT HAD A 2 INCH THICK CATALOG LAYING THERE WITH ALL THE CROSS REFERENCE INFORMATION YOU COULD NEED.
I BELIEVE THEY HAVE THE PLUG YOUR LOOKING FOR. GOOD LUCK!

PONTIAC DUDE
03-09-2000, 08:29 AM
NGK's.

Bob Dillon
03-11-2000, 09:47 PM
I've never liked ACs. Even 30 years ago
when gas had lots of lead in it, they never
lasted for me. I hate to plug a F**d product, but I've been lucky with Autolites.

------------------
I want to die peacefully
in my sleep like my grandpa,
not screaming like the passengers
in his car.

oldgoat
03-12-2000, 01:13 AM
If you must have ac plugs I have seen r44s on either carparts.com or wrenchead.com good luck

PROBRD
03-12-2000, 12:20 PM
KEV, I've tried several different plugs and Autolites seem to work best for my setup. I run #85's. Just my observations.

------------------
PROBRD
(probrd1@aol.com)

Gach
03-12-2000, 08:13 PM
I'm an Autolite man #75's, have 10 sets I'll sell real cheap 70 bucks, went to E-heads, you know those high rpm heads...LOL

------------------
My only gold in life is to kick some Chevy butt.

Jerry Brock
03-13-2000, 01:14 AM
I have run only Autolites for over 30 years, in my own vehicles. I have had problems with other brands that I have installed in customer vehicles. JMHO
Autolite changed their numbering system, and I have to look up the numbers every time until I am used to it.
I run #25s in the wagon with the 6X heads, and #85s in the #66 heads. I run #86s in my 68 350 Tempest.

[This message has been edited by Jerry Brock (edited 03-13-2000).]