PDA

View Full Version : 5 Gears On The Pavement

MLS
02-24-2000, 09:20 PM
Would a big Pontiac (mild build) rip the guts out of a Borg Warner 5 speed (S10 pickup) or are they tough enough to hang in there (without abuse of course)? I say mild build because I'm gathering from the way you guys talk on this board, that's all that's necessary to make my tiger claw up some Mustangs and Camaros.

MLS
02-24-2000, 09:20 PM
Would a big Pontiac (mild build) rip the guts out of a Borg Warner 5 speed (S10 pickup) or are they tough enough to hang in there (without abuse of course)? I say mild build because I'm gathering from the way you guys talk on this board, that's all that's necessary to make my tiger claw up some Mustangs and Camaros.

GP-K
02-25-2000, 09:40 AM
The T-5 would not last long behind even a mildly built 400, let alone a 455. In addition, the heavier the car, the harder that torque is on the transmission.

The torque ratings for it (even the "world class" T-5) are less than 350 ft. lb.. Plus, the t-5's are intended to mount canted to the side, so you would have to do strange things to the shifter to even try to get it to work. Try a Tremec, or a Richmond gear (my suggestion). The Tremec can handle 400-500 hp and 400+ ft. lb. of torque (according to the ads). The Richmond Gear street 5 speed is rated even higher. I know two guys running blown big block ch*vys on the street who have run the street 5 speed without problems. Richmond also makes a 6 speed version of the street 5 speed with similar specs.

Good luck,

K.