PDA

View Full Version : Baking Block vs. Hot Tank?

LarryF
03-30-2000, 01:35 PM
I was checking into having a block cleaned at a local speed shop and they said that they bake blocks instead of hot tanking. I've never heard of this, except to stress relieve new blocks before machining. I don't know what temperature they use, but I would guess it would probably be close to 500F to burn off the oil deposits. I'm worried about having to remachine the whole block. Has anyone had experience with baking, good or bad? Thanks.

Larry

LarryF
03-30-2000, 01:35 PM
I was checking into having a block cleaned at a local speed shop and they said that they bake blocks instead of hot tanking. I've never heard of this, except to stress relieve new blocks before machining. I don't know what temperature they use, but I would guess it would probably be close to 500F to burn off the oil deposits. I'm worried about having to remachine the whole block. Has anyone had experience with baking, good or bad? Thanks.

Larry

Bill Meyer
04-09-2000, 03:07 PM
Larry- I just had a block baked. I don't know if the process was the same as to what you are refering, but they baked it for quite some time, then put it on a rotisserie and blasted it with media. The process only cost $45 and the block looked just like it came off the foundry floor.Then we bored it.
When I started to put it together, NONE of the lifters would fit. The media blast had rolled the edges of the lifter bores over and I had to disasemble the engine and hone the bores out. The block still looked great, but beware if you use this process!!! Bill

------------------
GT37

KEV
04-10-2000, 01:37 PM
I sure am glad i read this post!!! I had a block baked and blasted as well. Also a set of heads. As Bill states, it comes out PERFECT! the parts look great!!!

Thanks for the heads up Bill on the lifter bores. I never thought of that.

------------------
Kevin Swaney
Gold '66 GTO, 389 4 spd with Trips
13.042 @ 106.64 mph