PDA

View Full Version : pontiac hemi heads

Chambers
02-16-2000, 10:54 PM
I read somewhere that Mickey Thompson designed some hemi heads for a pontiac motor in the 60's and was interested in some facts from that era and why would'nt that design be a promising venture revived today as the hemi head design seems to be the best that I've seen,having owned a 426 hemi in yesteryears. Top fuel cars seem to do well with them. A hemi head design might solve the pontiac head airflow problem. Imagine a 500+ cube IA block with hemi heads and a blower. (OK I'm back awake now)

Chambers
02-16-2000, 10:54 PM
I read somewhere that Mickey Thompson designed some hemi heads for a pontiac motor in the 60's and was interested in some facts from that era and why would'nt that design be a promising venture revived today as the hemi head design seems to be the best that I've seen,having owned a 426 hemi in yesteryears. Top fuel cars seem to do well with them. A hemi head design might solve the pontiac head airflow problem. Imagine a 500+ cube IA block with hemi heads and a blower. (OK I'm back awake now)

Scott Misus
02-22-2000, 12:46 AM
Over the counter from M/T; 1962. Was the only motor besides the Chrysler Hemi to ever win a national Top Fuel title.

Imagine the weight of the domed pistons necessary to fill those chambers?

BVR421
03-04-2000, 04:04 AM
They were expensive back then, I was a MT dealer(small time local speed shop) so I have odds and ends from those days in the basement. Last year I came across the product sheets and price page for the MT Hemi heads $750 bare in 1963 VERY exotic price. That same year I paid 750 for a very nice 58 Chieftain coupe. More useless trivia... last year I saw a foto on a web page of a 600inch Pontiac with MT Hemi heads and it had about a 2 inch chunk of steel between block deck and heads! Looked like easy 5" stroke. Can you imagine the lenght of the push rods? Can you imagine the flex?

70 Rick
03-07-2000, 07:07 PM
I was at a swap meet recently and some guy was selling old magazines. One of them got my attention: it was a Hot Rod Magazine from 1970 and it featured the prototype for the Pontiac 427 hemi-head motor right on the cover. Article was good too, so I bought it.

I can send copies if anyone is interested.

Maurice Hood
03-07-2000, 07:47 PM
70 Rick... I would like to have a copy. Thanks ..Maurice

Chambers
03-08-2000, 10:16 PM
Rick, I would really appreciate a copy. Thanks.

77TA
03-09-2000, 11:17 PM
Id love to read that also thanks !!!

RAM YAK II
03-10-2000, 01:49 AM
Hey Rick, hate to put you out but I would like a copy too. I had a set of those heads and Mickys Cross Ram intake, hence the name of my '62 Catalina "RAM YAK". The engine with heads and manifold split from the car in '66 and the car split from me in '70. Often wished I'd had the insight to keep the whole kit-n-kaboodle (heard that before, huh). Thanx in advance. RAM YAK II

MikeNoun
03-10-2000, 12:46 PM
The engine on the cover of that Hot Rod Magazine was not actually a running model. It was basically a wood mockup, but had "real" heads on top. It used several black ABS parts that never made production, including a very cool looking air cleaner top that looks modern even today. Another interesting magazine from that era was a Popular Hot Rodding, where all the Pontiac OHC and DOHC engines were displayed in color on the front cover. I'll be writing articles about these engines very soon, and they can be accessed through the Classical Pontiac site (sorry, was not trying to get a "plug" in......)

Zimtok
03-10-2000, 06:15 PM
I would like a copy of that artical also.
Let me know what you need from me to send it.

------------------
A.S.D.Zimtok

PONTIAC DUDE
03-10-2000, 06:55 PM
What you really need to see is the March 1968 Hot rod that I've had since new.(Had to edit this as I was a very,very young kid at the time) It has on the cover: twin cam engines(DOHC), SOHC, & 3 valve heads All designed at Pontiac with McKellar standing next to them. AWESOME SITE. Even a pic of the SOHC six cylinder with a 4-71 blower mounted to the side of it. This mag is not for sale but wouldn't mind putting up the pics & article on the Car clubs site down here to download. Wonder what a person has to do to do it with out any legal problems, etc. Later.

[This message has been edited by PONTIAC DUDE (edited 03-10-2000).]

Bob Dillon
03-11-2000, 09:43 PM
Hey Pontiac Dude, if you scan it or put it up, lemme know. If it's scanned you can e-mail it. Thanks!

------------------
I want to die peacefully
in my sleep like my grandpa,
not screaming like the passengers
in his car.

Jerry Brock
03-13-2000, 01:07 AM
I know where there is a set, that may be for sale!!!! Let me know if you are seriously interested, and I will put you in contact with the person. No tire kickers please!!!
The same guy has a 63 Lemans altered wheelbase car forsale for $4000. It was built in 1966, and is a solid car, but needs work to be brought to current safety specs.

tempest455
03-13-2000, 09:14 AM
Here is a pic guys.
http://www.wauknet.com/douthitt/_borders/brutus2.jpg

MikeNoun
03-13-2000, 02:43 PM
My apologies, it was the March 1968 Hot Rod that had the cover of all the OHC and DOHC engines. Pontiac's first attempt at OHC cam technology came in 1963, when they created a DOHC 389 complete with an incredible looking aluminum cross ram fuel injected setup, and used a speed density device to control fuel flow. In late 1963, Pontiac's second attempt was a SOHC 421 Tri-Power. A few of these setups were made, and one of them is still in use today in Mac McKellars 1963 Grand Prix, which he occasionally drives to POCI shows.