PDA

View Full Version : motor rebuilding...how hard is it?? please give advice

Fusion
03-26-2000, 06:32 AM
Ok guys, I am getting real nervous about rebuilding my engine. Is this something I can really do without a lot of prior experience? I have worked on cars before plenty, but I really haven't done much on the actual motor. I realize that this stuff isn't really easy, but is it within the grasp of someone who has really no prior experience rebuilding motors? If I bought a comprehensive book on rebuilding pontiac motors, would that be a good help (any recommendations)? I have a few buddies that can help me out somewhat, but they really won't be able to stand over my shoulder and tell me everything to do. All the valvetrain and cam adjustments seem to be really hard to do and I don't want to ruin all the parts I just bought by putting the motor together sloppily or anything. Will I have to remove the crankshaft and how difficult is it? Thanks everyone for your advice I really need it

Joe (Fusion)

Fusion
03-26-2000, 06:32 AM
Ok guys, I am getting real nervous about rebuilding my engine. Is this something I can really do without a lot of prior experience? I have worked on cars before plenty, but I really haven't done much on the actual motor. I realize that this stuff isn't really easy, but is it within the grasp of someone who has really no prior experience rebuilding motors? If I bought a comprehensive book on rebuilding pontiac motors, would that be a good help (any recommendations)? I have a few buddies that can help me out somewhat, but they really won't be able to stand over my shoulder and tell me everything to do. All the valvetrain and cam adjustments seem to be really hard to do and I don't want to ruin all the parts I just bought by putting the motor together sloppily or anything. Will I have to remove the crankshaft and how difficult is it? Thanks everyone for your advice I really need it

Joe (Fusion)

Double A
03-26-2000, 02:05 PM
Okay, Fusion, remain CALM!
Actually, after years of timing chains/cams and intake replacements and carb rebuilds (with head gaskets here and there), it's been only a coupla years that I've been doing the whole thing. I'm a medium line mechanic for a living, but "familiarity doesn't breed contempt" on this issue.
Above all, if it's your first or second rebuild---take your time. I recommend reading as much as possible about your specific motor, looking at lots of pics, and preparing yourself to make a few mistakes. Always make note of which bolts go where (taking polaroids is a good thing), and take torque specs seriously. If you have access to the correct tools, it's amazing how much easier things get once you have the motor out and on a stand. There you have lots of room; again, don't be rushed. Don't earmark your motor as "done by summer" or so forth.
Depending on how far you want to go, it's important to find a good local machine shop you can trust.
I also recommend not trying to build a wild 600hp monster right off the get-go. Take things simple, and the only dumb question is the one not asked.
Do alot of research, and devise a good game plan before you start; and allow room for a screw-up or broken bolt or a bad bearing here or there. And don't be embarrassed to have the shop do a part you're not comfortable in doing. Feel free to experiment a little (learning is always good), but be prepared for problems. Above all, relax and take your time. This BB has helped me a great deal, as they will help you. There is no substitution for wisdom and experience.Let them know what you have, the environment/$$$ you have, and what you want to accomplish.
Good Luck, AA

GP-K
03-26-2000, 09:02 PM
Fusion,

What AA said was sage advise, take it slow. Don't get in a rush to get the engine done, and then maybe forget something important. Maybe have a checklist to follow to make sure you cover each step. You hate to wonder after the engine is all together, (I have, before I started torquing rod bolts to stretch) "did I torque both #2 rod bolts?".

Make sure you have a factory shop manual for your year Poncho, as well as one that mostly fits the year engine you are building. A chiltons or motor manual is helpful, but not enough. I would also recommend Pete McCarthy's book about High performance Pontiac engines. Other general engine building and blueprinting books would be useful for getting good ideas about proper engine assembly methods and procedures. Of course, this BBS is helpful for questions, and I suggest that you read those articles Jim Hand wrote, which were linked in some of my other posts.

Good luck,

K.

Bill Boyle
03-30-2000, 09:33 PM
Joe--building an engine is like planning a long journey. If you study the maps you will see where you are and where you want to go. It's similar to building a engine. Studying engine rebuilding, no matter the make of engine, will give you insight on what you will need to do. Break the process down into small steps, but understand that the small steps are part of the whole. Since you're new to this, and we all started like you, your first step is to plan what you want to accomplish. Take you time and familiarize yourself with the basic steps. Proceed slowly as you are not under any suspense but your own--your not doing this for a living but for fun. Write down the process and follow it closely. Keep your notes and continue to read as much as you can from the masters. The gas engine is not novel and there's lots of good information in many books. Rich Voeglin's book on Blueprinting is excellent. Chiltons and a Pontiac Service Manual will also help. As mentioned by others, look at rebuilding photos--they tell many things--they also raise questions. Finally, if in doubt, post questions and some knowlegeable soul will chime in to help you who has already dealt with the matter. This board and the members are a wonderful resource--use it wisely. Also accumulate the tools you need including a good engine stand. Be patient--you can do this.

[This message has been edited by Bill Boyle (edited 03-30-2000).]