PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Comp Cams

Skip Fix
02-22-2000, 02:10 AM
Had two moderate problems with Comp the past year. Got the wrong single springs in the correct roller spring box this summer. Just got in a cam that was tootight to fit in block and spin freely. Figured it was cam bearings until I miked it and 2 other Comps and 2 Ultradynes on the shelf. It had three journals 0.001 bigger and 2 0.0005 bigger than any of the others.

So yes the big guys do screw up. Check that cam itself if something feels or looks funny.

Pain is either they charge me again and refund when they get bad one back or I have down time of sending back and then waiting for new one.

Skip Fix

Skip Fix
02-22-2000, 02:10 AM
Had two moderate problems with Comp the past year. Got the wrong single springs in the correct roller spring box this summer. Just got in a cam that was tootight to fit in block and spin freely. Figured it was cam bearings until I miked it and 2 other Comps and 2 Ultradynes on the shelf. It had three journals 0.001 bigger and 2 0.0005 bigger than any of the others.

So yes the big guys do screw up. Check that cam itself if something feels or looks funny.

Pain is either they charge me again and refund when they get bad one back or I have down time of sending back and then waiting for new one.

Skip Fix

Will
03-07-2000, 05:12 PM
Skip,

I'm currently dealing with two failed "Magnum" roller tipped rocker arms. Within 1000 miles of installing them the pins that retain the roller tip worked loose. One of them is just a tiny bit loose but the other was just about ready to come out of the rocker arm when I discovered the problem. 1 in 8 failure rate in less than 1000 miles isn't very good...

Rocky Rotella
03-07-2000, 05:55 PM
Not to harp on Comp Cams, but I had a similar situation. I ordered springs, locks, retainers and seals from Summit. When the locks arrived I recieved an assortment of 7 degree and 10 degree locks. It was all we were waiting on and very frustrating. Summit was very helpful and sent a new set and all is well, now. But still, its not too hard to beleive things like this happen. Just seems morer now than ever.

Skip Fix
03-16-2000, 01:38 AM
New replacement cam fits fine. The 112 lobe sep eneded up 111.5 so probably due to my measuring. The new Xtreme lobes though did have 6-8 degrees more seat duration even at their 0.006 lobe lift measurement than advertised. 262 intake was really 268 and 270 ex was really 278.I guess that new add showing a cam getting measured isn't for us regular folks.

never had a problem with any of my Ultradynes or Comp stuff from a few years ago.

Paul Spotts
03-17-2000, 10:47 PM
I'm direct with Comp and will bring this to their attention. Everything i recieved so far is correct. Years ago I recieved (15) 1.5 roller tips and (1) 1.65 in a sealed package! I was amazed - but they must have packagers that are product unaware. The cam journal size concerns me as that is a critical machining process. I still feel Comp is the best and is why I'm selling their products.

Skip Fix
03-18-2000, 02:00 PM
The guy I talked to at Comp(whether he really knew or not) told me there is only a couple of blank manufacturers and that they but them in LARGE quantities but only check a few in the batch(obviously not this one).

The roller springs that were incorrect had to be a major screw up. Single springs with a dampner in a dual spring box! I knew alot of guys at Comp when it owned the NMCA. They were bought out of Comp as well as NMCA being bought by Hot Rod(and they dropped the Top Stock classes shortly after).

Paul if you do have a good contact tell them to give me a call. I'm was a loyal Comp customer but am definitley shaken on my confidence. Especially the fact I can order direct and pay MORE than getting it from a dealer!(usually do that just when in a time pinch on a motor).

Skip