PDA

View Full Version : Effects of Line Boring

MLS
02-10-2000, 09:54 PM
I found a 455 but it has a broken crank and will require line boring. I have never had to do this to any engine I've built before and I wonder if it will cause the crank to be positioned higher in the block. If so, what effect will that have on the seals? Is it risky to cut extra meat out of the caps? Would this one be better left for dead since the main webs in the block could have been shifted as a result of the broken crank?

MLS
02-10-2000, 09:54 PM
I found a 455 but it has a broken crank and will require line boring. I have never had to do this to any engine I've built before and I wonder if it will cause the crank to be positioned higher in the block. If so, what effect will that have on the seals? Is it risky to cut extra meat out of the caps? Would this one be better left for dead since the main webs in the block could have been shifted as a result of the broken crank?

Old Man Taylor
02-10-2000, 11:03 PM
The line boring is not the problem. You need to inspect the block very carefully to assure the block did not get damaged (cracked) by the broken crank. When that happened to mine it broke a corner off one main cap and cracked the block in two places from the main webbing to the cam journal. If the block is OK, the meat in the webbing and the rear seal should not be a problem.

------------------
Jim

slobrd
03-03-2000, 04:18 PM
I too have been wondering about the affects line boring will have on the timing chain slack. I just bought a comp cams and don't know if I need to spend the money and go with Taylor's suggestion from a build up about Nunzi's chain for the street.

Old Man Taylor
03-03-2000, 10:38 PM
They make a slightly oversized crank gear to make up for significant line boring. I know Butler has it, and I am sure some others would as well.

------------------
Jim