PDA

View Full Version : Hot Start Solution?

rjcarleton
02-12-2000, 04:42 PM
I have a hot start problem with my 455..i go thru 3 or 4 starters a year.I believe it is the heat from the exhaust that is trashing the solenoids.A few months ago there was discusson on the board about a fix for this being installing a ford solenoid.Anybody know of this fix?
Also anybody have any experience with the high torque starters for this problem?

------------------
rjcarleton

rjcarleton
02-12-2000, 04:42 PM
I have a hot start problem with my 455..i go thru 3 or 4 starters a year.I believe it is the heat from the exhaust that is trashing the solenoids.A few months ago there was discusson on the board about a fix for this being installing a ford solenoid.Anybody know of this fix?
Also anybody have any experience with the high torque starters for this problem?

------------------
rjcarleton

stevep
02-12-2000, 05:52 PM
I sell a mega-torque starter for $129.95 that looks exactly like a factory starter except that the back cover is finned.I have 1 in my 66 421 HO for the past 5 years with no problems.I have sold several to POCI members around the country with no problems.

MLS
02-16-2000, 03:33 PM
rjcarleton, I have had the same problem with GM starters on performance cars. I found that the average "rebuilt" starter will last about 3 months. I put a Delco rebuilt starter on my Firebird and have had much better service. The unit mentioned by stevep sounds like a very good deal for about the same price. I may check that out myself. Also, a heavy gauge cable from the battery to the starter and a heat shield are helpful too, especially with headers.

[This message has been edited by MLS (edited 02-16-2000).]

pont406
02-16-2000, 04:20 PM
I had a local starter/alternator shop build me a heavy duty starter, HD bearing,high heat solenoid, cost $80 bucks! use heavy guage cables and a high cranking amp battery I no longer had any starting problems after I did this to my car!also make a heat shield for your starter out of scrap metal and mount it to the starter.forget the ford soleniod deal you don't need it

Bill Boyle
02-16-2000, 08:40 PM
If your engine is out of the car it's easy to fabricate a shield that will deflect heat away from the stock solenoid and starter. I did this and for good measure used mummy wrap on the header that runs dangerously close to the starter. There are other solutions as well...but it's heat that screws thing up. A Ford type switch is also possible, although I've never gone that route. I feel the heavy duty systems really aren't necessary to start a Pontiac if you can dissipate the heat around the starter and solenoid. BTW, I had hard hot starts even when I ran the stock exhaust. I've had no problems with my TA for years....

Ccass
02-17-2000, 12:21 AM
I'm going to have to move this topic after this posting because it really should be in the "heating & cooling" forum and there are already topics on this subject started. Do a search there under "hot start" or "hot starting" I think in December.
Thanks.

What is the definition of "my starter went"? Is it like a dead battery where all the lights in your car work but dead silence from the starter when you try to start the car already hot? That is more than likely a Solenoid problem. You know the starter is shot when it starts clicking instead of turning over... or it turns over so sluggishly, it wont start the car.

When a starter goes, the most logical choice is to go to the local parts store. Unfortunately, most large rebuilding companies see all Pontiac starters as the same. So they don't rebuild "original" starters or Solenoids to the high-torque specs necessary for most Pontiacs. The suggestions above will solve the problem in many cases. Our solution that has worked for hundereds of Pontiac owners, is a "Delco rebuilt" starter, a heavy duty solenoid, a hot soak spring (for the solenoid) and a 2 piece heat shield kit that completely surrounds both the solenoid and starter made of a molded aluminum with a laminated asbestos type material to further remove heat. Total cost is around $175

[This message has been edited by Ccass (edited 02-16-2000).]