PDA

View Full Version : Bearings and age

Guy Mazza
02-29-2000, 11:32 PM
Question, I have a set of "sealed power" rod bearings (box says sealed power & bearings say "clevite") manufacture date is 10/81.For 455,rods standard size. I was told the metal was better then....whatya think???? To use or not to use?? For race 455 motor. Thanks in advance, Guy - 0.P.R.A.

Guy Mazza
02-29-2000, 11:32 PM
Question, I have a set of "sealed power" rod bearings (box says sealed power & bearings say "clevite") manufacture date is 10/81.For 455,rods standard size. I was told the metal was better then....whatya think???? To use or not to use?? For race 455 motor. Thanks in advance, Guy - 0.P.R.A.

Dick Duclow
03-07-2000, 08:45 AM
As long as the bearings are "unscarred" go ahead and use them.

Guy Mazza
03-07-2000, 09:24 AM
Thanks Dick, I was wondering why no one responded to my post. I was also told "back then" (81) the sealed power bearing were made by Vandervell, any truth to this?This is for my race 455. Or should I use the Fed Mogul races series bearing?? Thanks in advance> Guy - O.P.R.A.

PONTIAC DUDE
03-07-2000, 06:47 PM
If they are Vandervell's, there will be a V in a circle on the back of the bearing, no matta (Gach) who reboxed them. Just check them real good as if they were handled, acid from your fingers eats into the metal content over time and will produce premature bearing wear. You can look & see discoloration as a sign of trouble. For a stocker, maybe no problem, but if your racin why waste the time. Go buy competition bearings as technology has produced better alloy's & material compatability. Later.

Guy Mazza
03-08-2000, 01:06 AM
Gracias, P/Dude....same feeling I had, just wasn't sure if I had something better than produced today. Guy - 0.P.R.A.