PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac 400 advice revisited

Rob79
03-08-2000, 09:03 PM
First of all thanks everyone for the input. TO recap and add some detail, Pontiac 400 block, .40 over, 6x-8 heads (101cc If I am correct)recoditioned, (no porting done), forgedTRW pistons, stock rods, stock crank polished and in the block, have stock intake, and holley 650 vacuum secondary, also have rebuilt 600 cfm quadrajet.As i understand this motor was around 200 to 225 hp from the factory. loking for 300+hp. Scrathing the blower idea for now. Have basically everything for motor minus cam, lifters, and ignition. What can I achieve by.
Milling my current heads (How Much?)
Roller Rockers
Performer Intake
Headers
Stock HEI?
Cam Selection for this combo?
Have both a rebuilt TH350 and a good TH400 although i believe that inorder to use the 400 tranny I need to change driveshaft and crossmember in the 79 TA.

Or should I look for different heads or maybe higher compression pistons. Or am i way off base here, I am new to the Engine buiding game and am looking for as much information as possible
Thanks once again
Rob

Rob79
03-08-2000, 09:03 PM
First of all thanks everyone for the input. TO recap and add some detail, Pontiac 400 block, .40 over, 6x-8 heads (101cc If I am correct)recoditioned, (no porting done), forgedTRW pistons, stock rods, stock crank polished and in the block, have stock intake, and holley 650 vacuum secondary, also have rebuilt 600 cfm quadrajet.As i understand this motor was around 200 to 225 hp from the factory. loking for 300+hp. Scrathing the blower idea for now. Have basically everything for motor minus cam, lifters, and ignition. What can I achieve by.
Milling my current heads (How Much?)
Roller Rockers
Performer Intake
Headers
Stock HEI?
Cam Selection for this combo?
Have both a rebuilt TH350 and a good TH400 although i believe that inorder to use the 400 tranny I need to change driveshaft and crossmember in the 79 TA.

Or should I look for different heads or maybe higher compression pistons. Or am i way off base here, I am new to the Engine buiding game and am looking for as much information as possible
Thanks once again
Rob

Brian Baker
03-09-2000, 12:03 AM
Check out Bill Boyle's website at www.boyleworks.com/ta400. (http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400.) He has a buildup on a very streetable 400 that is in his 79 4-speed T/A that is in the neighborhood of performance that you're looking for. Stick with the 6X heads and flat-top pistons. 6X heads came in different CC versions, os it would be best to have them CC'd while they're getting redone to determine compression. Since you're nixing the blower, shoot for 9:1-9.5:1 for CR, but don't shave more than .060" off the heads to achieve it.