PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems

Bob Honer
03-25-2000, 12:50 AM
'69 GTO with Isky Cam (P/N 901271), Edelbrock manifold & 750 carb. Timing @ 9 deg BTDC. Vac advance attached to carb "timed vacuum port". Engine fires & "tries" to start but quits when starter disengages. Valve lash was set by tightening ball retainer nuts to 20 ft-lbs. Stock push rods & rockers, Isky recommended springs. Sometimes backfires while trying to start. Can't figure out whats wrong. Need suggestions.

P.S. Both Isky & Edelbrock not helpful.

Bob Honer
03-25-2000, 12:50 AM
'69 GTO with Isky Cam (P/N 901271), Edelbrock manifold & 750 carb. Timing @ 9 deg BTDC. Vac advance attached to carb "timed vacuum port". Engine fires & "tries" to start but quits when starter disengages. Valve lash was set by tightening ball retainer nuts to 20 ft-lbs. Stock push rods & rockers, Isky recommended springs. Sometimes backfires while trying to start. Can't figure out whats wrong. Need suggestions.

P.S. Both Isky & Edelbrock not helpful.

Held for Ransom
03-28-2000, 01:12 PM
It sounds to me that you've installed your distributor off 180. Or your plug wires were installed wrong(1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, counter-clockwise rotation).

OrbitGTO
03-29-2000, 02:01 AM
I had the same problem when I trusted a Chevy guy to do my plug wires while I was working on the front end of my motor-- he put them on in a chevy pattern, which rotates backwards from a Poncho. I imagine fixing your plug wires would fix the situation.

PONTIAC DUDE
03-29-2000, 08:22 AM
This might be reaching, but have seen this happen to people. Some timing sets have a dot & a circle with a letter in it. This is on the bottom gear. When ever installing the timing gears, ALWAYS make sure the crank throw #1 is all the way up & then check to see if the bottom dot is at 12 o'clock. Have had people use the wrong dot to line up the timing marks & their comments sounded very similar in cranking, as you are off just enough to want to start. Just a thought. Later. BTW. I have had people when using the 3 keyway unit also use the triangle or square (+ or -) & still want to use the dot instead of the corralating triangle or square (+ or -) that goes with it on the outside of the bottom gear. Later.

Ccass
03-29-2000, 11:26 PM
posted with permission of Bob.....

I've discovered the problem. I totally rebuilt the engine, that includes new distributor parts including ignition wires. I was using as my reference for the firing order Motor's Auto Repair Manual, 35th Edition, First printing. This covers most US cars built from '64 - '71. The manual clearly shows the distributor turning clockwise with the firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. I didn't realize, until I was checking the timing (for the 10th time) that my distributor runs CCW. So, as soon as I put the wires in the correct order it runs like a champ. I've had this book since '72 and have used it as a reference more times than I can count.
Thanks,
Bob Honer