PDA

View Full Version : Billet Crank topic again

Pete D
03-21-2000, 09:18 PM
I need to gauge the interest in a 4" billet crank again. Who knows where this will go, but there once again may be a shot at getting a small run made to get a price break. I am just trying to gauge the demand.

What is out there now? Who sells them? What is the delivery? For how much?

What features would you like to see?
a) snout machined to accept "corporate dampers" for example?
b) cut out throws?
c) 3" or 3.25" mains?
d) other?

I guess the main question is what would you pay for one? Be realistic. I know that we would all like one for $1000, but that ain't gonna happen.

Pete D
03-21-2000, 09:18 PM
I need to gauge the interest in a 4" billet crank again. Who knows where this will go, but there once again may be a shot at getting a small run made to get a price break. I am just trying to gauge the demand.

What is out there now? Who sells them? What is the delivery? For how much?

What features would you like to see?
a) snout machined to accept "corporate dampers" for example?
b) cut out throws?
c) 3" or 3.25" mains?
d) other?

I guess the main question is what would you pay for one? Be realistic. I know that we would all like one for $1000, but that ain't gonna happen.

Scott Misus
03-21-2000, 11:12 PM
The billet deal may not be necessary. See the ad for new forgings at WWW.Spottsperformance.com. (http://WWW.Spottsperformance.com.)

Tim Corcoran
04-05-2000, 12:48 AM
My guess is that there is a very small market for a billet or forged crank unless it can be had for under $1,000. I think a forged crank would be more ecomonical to build. The upfront tooling would be more but the machine work would be considerally less with a forging. A cast crank would be the best bargain. If designed using todays materials and processing technology a cast crank would be lighter and stronger than 60's Pontiac cast iron cranks and could be ofered at a reasonable price. I would suggest offering two models. A 3.00 main journal designed for a 400 block. The other as a direct replacement for a 455. Both models would need to be available in strokes at least from 4.00 to 4.25. While your at it why not go after the Indian Adventure block market too. If a lip seal was available to work on the 400 blocks you could leave off the hash marks and have a leak free rear main seal once and for all. With regards to the above post. I don't believe that anyone has any cast, billet or forged cranks available yet even though they may be advertised now.

Tim Corcoran

[This message has been edited by Tim Corcoran (edited 04-05-2000).]