PDA

View Full Version : Roller rockers

JSchmitz
02-20-2000, 12:57 PM
I am rebuiding my 455. I'm going to roller rockers for sure. I just can't decide which ones. Any stories good or bad will help. Thanks.

JSchmitz
02-20-2000, 12:57 PM
I am rebuiding my 455. I'm going to roller rockers for sure. I just can't decide which ones. Any stories good or bad will help. Thanks.

Rocky Rotella
02-20-2000, 04:09 PM
First off, unless you enlarge the pushrod hole opening, 1.6 is about as high as you can go without pushrod bind in the opening. I chose Nunzi's 1.6 full roller rockers and I am extremely satisfied. In fact, I bought another set for my dad's 72 455HO. They are cast aluminum, made to Nunzi's spec by Crower and available in 1.5, 1.55, 1.6 and 1.65 ratios. The run $300/set. I had Jim Butler's Omega roller rockers in my hands. Honestly, I, personally, didn't like the quality of them. They were not cast, but rather cut from a aluminum block and machined. JBP's are available in 1.5 and 1.6 ratios and run $214/set. I was extremely impressed with quality of Nunzi's rollers. They are not the ones listed in his current catalog. We found them on a 1999 supplement he sent with the current catalog. Just a note, my statement about JBP's rollers are all my opinion. The quality and operating characteristics may, in fact, be very high. Thanks, Rocky

Steve C.
02-22-2000, 03:57 PM
We have had the same set of Crower stainless steel rockers for over 4 years with no problems. They come in 1.5, 1.6 & 1.65 ratios.

Tom McQueen
02-22-2000, 06:15 PM
Gotta go with Steve C on this one. Just received my 1.65 stainless Crower rockers for the 470. Real nice pieces. They cost a bit more than aluminums (~50 bucks) but if its a street car the extra reliability is worth it.

[This message has been edited by Tom McQueen (edited 02-22-2000).]

Old Man Taylor
02-22-2000, 11:40 PM
I have had a set of Crower stainless steel 1.65 roller rockers on my '64 GTO for over 10 years. I went to the SS style because it gets a lot of street miles, and I liked the idea of the big trunion and bearings. If you use these, you must get longer push rods. Unless Crower now makes one for a Pontiac, these are actually for a small block Ford, with the trunion replaced for a 7/16" stud. They work fine, but the pushrod is about 0.300 longer. I use RAIV lifters, and the RAIV pushrod is 9.205" long. If I recall correctly, mine are 9.530" long to mate with this rocker and RAIV valves in 670 heads. The main point is, confirm your rocker geometry and get pushrods made the appropriate length.

------------------
Jim

mike nixon
02-27-2000, 01:40 AM
I've got omega gear rollers on my tow vehicle. I don't know if they are the same co. as jbp carrys or not. I bought the race version as the engine in this truck gets abused daily. They have held up extremely well. 6500 rpm + and approx. 80000 miles. When i bought them they had a lifetime warranty. mike

Tim Corcoran
04-19-2000, 01:51 AM
I use H/S roller rockers on my bracket car. I used to drive this car on the street a few years back. Been running this same set which is 1.65's with some pretty healthy springs for over four years with no problems. They are aluminum and I am not sure if they are cast or machined from a billet. One of the advantages to an aluminum rocker is a lighter valve train witch equates to less strain on the valve train.

Tim

455ho
04-19-2000, 08:56 AM
I am also running Crower 1.6 rockers from Nunzi. I didn't have to change the push rods, the only modification was a thicker gasket (1/4 inch). Recently got the motor back together and have had no problems to speak of.

Ken -Ace- Brewer
04-19-2000, 10:35 AM
The Crowers are good pieces. But they can't hold a candle to my Yella Terra's! The LARGEST trunions in the industry makes these the strongest rocker arms you can buy!!
They are made in Australia! They have been making rocker arms since 1962! They come with a lifetime gaurante!! They run $340.
I have sold several of these sets with the customer calling me back saying what awesome pieces they are!
Be Cool,

------------------
ACE-P.P.R.

SLOW 77
04-20-2000, 12:08 AM
I run Butler's 1.6's on the street, have had no problems, other than they don't have the fancy anodized look to them, oh well.