PDA

View Full Version : Identifying vacuum leaks

Triggerman
02-07-2000, 10:33 PM
I know everyone has their own favorite trick for finding a vacuum leak. Everyone post what they think is the most effective method. I've seen some extremely diverse opinions on this.

Triggerman
02-07-2000, 10:33 PM
I know everyone has their own favorite trick for finding a vacuum leak. Everyone post what they think is the most effective method. I've seen some extremely diverse opinions on this.

WARPed
02-07-2000, 11:52 PM
I have used starting fluid with great success, just spray around the suspected area (use a WD40 type straw to pinpoint the area) and the idle will pickup if you have found the leak.

------------------
10.854@123.44
6.947@100.65
brooksa@gte.net

KEV
02-08-2000, 09:31 AM
hey Trig! along warped's line of thinking, i have also watched others use propane (like a little heating torch) and if the idel goes up you found it. only problem with the process is that if there is a lot of "wind" in the engine compartment it doesnt seem to work that well.

QUESTION for you... i once saw this on shade tree mechanic but i can't recall the details. i thought they used some type of "smoke in a can" shot in the vac system somehow and then used a special light that made it easy to see the smoke? anyone ever use this smoke method? if so could you supply some details of the process?

thanks!

------------------
Kevin Swaney
Gold '66 GTO, 389 4 spd with Trips
13.042 @ 106.64 mph

Jim Hand
02-08-2000, 03:52 PM
Safest, easiest, and most positive method is a small diameter tube, (vacuum hose, oxygen hose, etc.) long enough to reach from your ear to all parts of the intake. With the engine running, place one end of the tube to your ear, and move the other end of the tube to all possible leakage sources and listen. Any leak will be easily heard, but to calibrate the system, hold the open end over the top of the carb and listen for the air leakage through the carb. Another advantage is that it can be extended under the intake to hear leaks. Jim Hand