PDA

View Full Version : Ignition at the wrong time

78 GHOST
08-03-2001, 03:01 PM
I noticed that when the engine is running in my '70 GTO and I quickly turn the key through "Off" to "ACCY", the engine continues to happily run. Why would my distributor still be getting voltage in the accessory position?

If someone changed the steering column to a tilt unit out of a different car, would the harness connections cause this problem?

78 GHOST
08-03-2001, 03:01 PM
I noticed that when the engine is running in my '70 GTO and I quickly turn the key through "Off" to "ACCY", the engine continues to happily run. Why would my distributor still be getting voltage in the accessory position?

If someone changed the steering column to a tilt unit out of a different car, would the harness connections cause this problem?

LeMans70Sport
08-06-2001, 06:13 PM
Hi, Has your GOAT been converted to an HEI distributor? If so I'd guess whoever made the change must have wired it into a circuit that is hot in both key positions. If it is a points distributor, then I'd look at the ignition switch. It might be shorting internally.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 78 GHOST:

If someone changed the steering column to a tilt unit out of a different car, would the harness connections cause this problem?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

78 GHOST
08-06-2001, 10:28 PM
Yes, it is an HEI (I installed it last Winter) and the hot lead is 12V alla time!

I really haven't checked this wire, but it seems to come from the area of the starter. I understand that there is a resistance wire which was OEM to the old points type dist. I am about to drop the dash and do some serious troubleshooting as well as changing some guages around.

Thanks for the ideas, keep 'em coming, Matt

------------------
"Son...there ain't no substitute for cubes."