PDA

View Full Version : Sellers/vendors pushing parts through tech forums

customizedcreations
03-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Quotes from E heads vs K heads

Ray Cox Said

"its sad to say most of the post on this board are the same way everybody is trying to sell somthing
to say not buying round ports is because of needing headers is nothing more than a sales pitch, anybody or any exaust shop can take the center tubes on a set of D port headers and move them 2 inches to fit round ports in less than an hour"

Kev said
"What I think is sad is that most of the posts on the board get off topic very quick often leaving the original poster with little or no information regrding his/her question."

I just thought I would start another post, since Kev is right 100% and so is Ray Cox.

So here goes from me.

I just bought a big diesel truck last year. Knowing a motor is an air pump regardless, everything has quirks. So I joined a Diesel website which will remain blank.

Ok so now to the real reason for this post. Yes I am a vendor. I dont sell parts as a main stay, but once in awhile I clean out my little corner of the world and sell things to make space for new things. I mainly offer services ( chrome, powder coating ect ). I joined this diesel forum to gain some knowledge about this motor. Things where good for the first couple of months. When I started to offer more in depth views then the average mechanic can offer I was imediatlely asked to advertise on the site. I was unsure since my services really wouldnt be used that much ( how often do you see a diesel truck show with everyone popping thier hoods ? ). And being that advertising was $1200 , my reply was I ll think about it. A few days later, someone asked about exhaust crossovers. I had just made a mandrel bent one , but decided to do something different. This fellow needed one. So I offered him mine. I wasnt selling them , but had one part lying around I wouldnt use. Well offering him the part, I was asked not to answer questions like that, unless I was giving the part away for free and paying shipping I thought that was pretty funny. But needless to say, they banned my profile, blocked my email and locked me out of being able to change anything. All I can do is post questions, if I answer a question I get some pretty unreponsive replys about off topic subjects. And I ll add only from certain individuals.

The main reason this happened, is because one of the vendors is the say all do all on that website. He has good parts, and offers some good advice. But the consensous I can see is that its his website basically. I am sure he probably pays some good advertising money to the site. So basically if there is a threat to this , it is stamped out imediately. Such as myself. After talking with a few others , I found this to be true. If your paying for memebership, you should be able to say what you want ( within ethical reason ).

Now to why I wrote this. I see many vendors on this site. I havent seen anything too bad for mud sling contests. But Since I ve been with PY from the very very early days, I know things got so out of hand I left. The forums where all about bashing people, Bruce Fulper and a few others. A topic would start about something and next thing you know its 100 posts long and the last 50 posts having nothing to do with the original question. Things look pretty good and PY has done a great job with everything I see here.

But my main point is, I love part A , you love part B and he loves part C. It all belongs to the same thing, which is pontiacs and why we are here. Our undying love and loyalty to the brand. Its ashame that others are too narrow minded to realize this sometimes.

This isnt to take a poke at anyone, and not to offend anyone. Just that no matter where you go, be it a diesel site, a remote control airplane site, or a pontiac site. No one is ever going to see eye to eye and people are going to push thier loyalty to the last stand. Every vendor has to push what he sells or he wont be a vendor long. Simple. Its just how a vendor pushes his product. This particular diesel vendor , in the above mentioned, in a phone call proceded to tell me about some other vendors. I wasnt too interested in hearing it, but listened. I dont think that is the right way to make your self look better. But hey to each his own. I am glad I havent seen anything like that in this site. And hopefully wont.

To the aluminum head conversation, lets just say, arent we all happy we have not one , not two , not three, but several head options now. Didnt it suck when you best choice was to buy a 20+ year old 6x head and have to work with the likes of that ? Yeah you can make power with it, but its not like being able to buy a brand new high performance part out of the box.

Sorry for being so long winded.....

customizedcreations
03-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Quotes from E heads vs K heads

Ray Cox Said

"its sad to say most of the post on this board are the same way everybody is trying to sell somthing
to say not buying round ports is because of needing headers is nothing more than a sales pitch, anybody or any exaust shop can take the center tubes on a set of D port headers and move them 2 inches to fit round ports in less than an hour"

Kev said
"What I think is sad is that most of the posts on the board get off topic very quick often leaving the original poster with little or no information regrding his/her question."

I just thought I would start another post, since Kev is right 100% and so is Ray Cox.

So here goes from me.

I just bought a big diesel truck last year. Knowing a motor is an air pump regardless, everything has quirks. So I joined a Diesel website which will remain blank.

Ok so now to the real reason for this post. Yes I am a vendor. I dont sell parts as a main stay, but once in awhile I clean out my little corner of the world and sell things to make space for new things. I mainly offer services ( chrome, powder coating ect ). I joined this diesel forum to gain some knowledge about this motor. Things where good for the first couple of months. When I started to offer more in depth views then the average mechanic can offer I was imediatlely asked to advertise on the site. I was unsure since my services really wouldnt be used that much ( how often do you see a diesel truck show with everyone popping thier hoods ? ). And being that advertising was $1200 , my reply was I ll think about it. A few days later, someone asked about exhaust crossovers. I had just made a mandrel bent one , but decided to do something different. This fellow needed one. So I offered him mine. I wasnt selling them , but had one part lying around I wouldnt use. Well offering him the part, I was asked not to answer questions like that, unless I was giving the part away for free and paying shipping I thought that was pretty funny. But needless to say, they banned my profile, blocked my email and locked me out of being able to change anything. All I can do is post questions, if I answer a question I get some pretty unreponsive replys about off topic subjects. And I ll add only from certain individuals.

The main reason this happened, is because one of the vendors is the say all do all on that website. He has good parts, and offers some good advice. But the consensous I can see is that its his website basically. I am sure he probably pays some good advertising money to the site. So basically if there is a threat to this , it is stamped out imediately. Such as myself. After talking with a few others , I found this to be true. If your paying for memebership, you should be able to say what you want ( within ethical reason ).

Now to why I wrote this. I see many vendors on this site. I havent seen anything too bad for mud sling contests. But Since I ve been with PY from the very very early days, I know things got so out of hand I left. The forums where all about bashing people, Bruce Fulper and a few others. A topic would start about something and next thing you know its 100 posts long and the last 50 posts having nothing to do with the original question. Things look pretty good and PY has done a great job with everything I see here.

But my main point is, I love part A , you love part B and he loves part C. It all belongs to the same thing, which is pontiacs and why we are here. Our undying love and loyalty to the brand. Its ashame that others are too narrow minded to realize this sometimes.

This isnt to take a poke at anyone, and not to offend anyone. Just that no matter where you go, be it a diesel site, a remote control airplane site, or a pontiac site. No one is ever going to see eye to eye and people are going to push thier loyalty to the last stand. Every vendor has to push what he sells or he wont be a vendor long. Simple. Its just how a vendor pushes his product. This particular diesel vendor , in the above mentioned, in a phone call proceded to tell me about some other vendors. I wasnt too interested in hearing it, but listened. I dont think that is the right way to make your self look better. But hey to each his own. I am glad I havent seen anything like that in this site. And hopefully wont.

To the aluminum head conversation, lets just say, arent we all happy we have not one , not two , not three, but several head options now. Didnt it suck when you best choice was to buy a 20+ year old 6x head and have to work with the likes of that ? Yeah you can make power with it, but its not like being able to buy a brand new high performance part out of the box.

Sorry for being so long winded.....

larry davis
03-06-2005, 07:28 AM
Sooo, can we start bashing BF http://pysales.com/images/spank.gif once again?!
It's been a few weeks since a really nasty thread got going on the aforementioned.

Ray Cox
03-06-2005, 07:46 AM
so am I correct? its hard to tell form your post or not if you agree? it seams like all the oppinions on here are now based on what they sell rather than what is qaulity.

and somthing that I think is even worse than that is when a vender that sells the same parts as PY is posting adds to sell there parts in the for sale section. This site is a tech forum bought and paid for by Py. Why should they be compeating with someone on there own site? I think it was fbody wharehouse.
Most of the talk about product on here has gotten to be promotion or bashing. Half of the poducts are boasting qaulities when the first prodotype isnt even finished yet http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

An example would be last summer when I was given a small sponsor ship from edlbrock, most of the post on the subject were "WHAT CAN I TELL EDLBROCK THAT THEY COULD USE TO IMPROVE THE HEAD" those threads were forwarded to edlbrock, and more of the info was shared with them at PRI.

In another thread here in the last few days someone took info about a motor being broke on a dyno and turned it around to bash the product they were complaining about, when what they were complaining about had absolutly nothing to do with why the motor broke.

as for the felper bashing days, I wasent here, I know my experiences were not the greatest with him.

Goatracer1
03-06-2005, 10:19 AM
C.C. is right. Instead of belittle a product that we dont use we should be damn glad to have all these new products to chose from. Also, when someone asks a question answer the question. Dont go rambling on with someone you know about some completely unrelated subject. Some of us really need answers. Thank you!

Brian Baker
03-06-2005, 11:32 AM
So...Fulper has a deisel website now? Sure sounds like it. http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

customizedcreations
03-06-2005, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ray Cox:
so am I correct? its hard to tell form your post or not if you agree? it seams like all the oppinions on here are now based on what they sell rather than what is qaulity.

QUOTE]

Ray,
I say in one aspect. If proven effective and by general consensous other then ones self, if a product works, by all means tell people. But the problem is , thats not the case. Its usually just a buck in someones pocket. I do agree with the selling of ones products on a site that sells the same product is not too cool. It can help cross business though, as vendor "A" doesnt have part "e" but vendor "B" does , but does not have part "f" they each made a sale off one another. But it doesnt always work that way.

Besides I accept anyones opinion with proof it worked for them. There isnt one set combo for everyone. Thats the beauty of the puzzle. Making different pieces work, and being adventrous. Never know what you might come up with if you try something odd.

But yes I do agree. To answer the main question.

Goatracer1
03-06-2005, 04:04 PM
CC says we shouldnt knock each other and what happens? you guys cant let go can you? You just dont get it!

Mr. P-Body
03-07-2005, 07:16 AM
As a "vendor", I try to supply accurate information based on real-world experience. If I have no experience with a competitor's item, I say so. I can only speak to what I KNOW to be true. This is often taken as a "shot" at another brand, but it's mis-perceived, possibly in good faith, possibly just to be "contrary".
I make no bones about liking Comp XE cams. This is because we have installed SO MANY, with so few problems, and in virtually ALL cases, the product met the purchaser's requirements. At IBM in the early '80s, they taught us that was one of the primary measuring points of "quality", that a product meets the buyers' requirements. Do I make money selling Comp cams? I certainly hope so! If I didn't, I wouldn't be here next year to offer my advice.
Do I have a problem with other cam makers? A few. But not because I perceive them as a threat. Because they try to use misleading or inaccurate data to rationalize their position, or they appear so arrogant, they won't/don't take our issues seriously. I try to NOT do business with ANY company that uses these tactics, in the car biz' or not. You could have the best product out there, but if you aren't honest in your advertising, or you try to apply leverage because your product is good, I'm not buying. Period.
I also support Eagle. I see no reason to explain that one, as they have no peers at this time. If another company steps up and supplies the equal of their offerings, at competitive pricing, we will certainly look at those offerings.
It's an exciting time to be a fan of the Injun, as there are more goodies out there now than ever before. For other vendors, I advise, if you get questions about specifics, ANSWER them without evasion, even if you feel they (the answers) may not make you look like the best. A customer will repsond to honesty and accuracy better in the long run. Those that are less than honest will make initial sales, but will not get repeat business. Repeat business is crucial for the survival of the smaller companies.
Just my $.02...

Rob
03-07-2005, 08:39 AM
I'm a vendor and enthusiast, I think the general population here speaks up when things are mostly right or mostly wrong and the helping of each other through this forum is huge.

The Bruce thing well....chuckle!

Good luck with future postings and Customized Creations, sound like you'll do just fine.

-Rob

bmpmdf
03-07-2005, 09:33 AM
I am a parts user, not a vendor, (been asked why not a few times lately though) but always try to give what my experiance has been with parts and combinations. I do see C.C.'s point very clear. I am very happy we have more options on parts now, more than even in the "glory" days of Pontiac. We are catching up fast to the competition on higher end parts and on the street/strip level. Yep, I am very satisfied about the different parts being on the market. And it is cool that we can now say x part is best in this application, while y part is better in another even though cost may be simular. NOW LETS ALL BE HAPPY AND GO RACING. http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mo
03-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Since I am neither a seller nor vendor pushing parts through tech forums nor do I represent any entity that does I will say "the gloves will soon be dropped" if others who do represent other entities or are "self promoters" feel they take liberty at others in order to better their standing in the selling and vending parts of these fine forums.

In other words. What comes around goes around!

The opinions expressed are those soley of the one posting, who hasn't had much sleep! http://forums.performanceyears.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif