PDA

View Full Version : '73 quad on '75 intake question

Double A
03-20-2000, 11:06 PM
I'm trying to adapt my '75 455 intake to accept a '73 800 cfm quadrajet. The quad has linkage for a thermostatic coil yet the intake is set up for the later model electric heat choke assy. Any suggestions on how to properly adapt the carb choke system to the intake?
Thanks, Double
(P.S. I do have a thermostatic coil from a 400 but nothing lines up...)

Double A
03-20-2000, 11:06 PM
I'm trying to adapt my '75 455 intake to accept a '73 800 cfm quadrajet. The quad has linkage for a thermostatic coil yet the intake is set up for the later model electric heat choke assy. Any suggestions on how to properly adapt the carb choke system to the intake?
Thanks, Double
(P.S. I do have a thermostatic coil from a 400 but nothing lines up...)

Chiefpontiac
03-21-2000, 12:20 AM
Is the 800 CFM carb from a Pontiac? 1973 was the first year that Pontiac used the round thermostatic choke coil that drew hot air from the manifold. The 1975 system was similar and should allow you to bolt up the hot air pipe.

Double A
03-21-2000, 03:26 PM
Thanks for responding, Chief. The carb is from a '73 Buick 455, and the thermostatic coil and rod assy is from who knows (presumably Pontiac (blue) got in a deal from Hansen's). My main problem, I guess, is that the platform where the coil rests is not concave to accept the coil and the screw hole (?) also doesn't line up. I'd like to avoid altering (drilling) the intake as the fresh motor is just now all together.
Guru advice welcome and appreciated. A.A.

Chiefpontiac
03-21-2000, 10:29 PM
I feel you now have two problems:

First, the intake will not work with the early style choke mechanism. Also, the intake is very restrictive on the secondary side. Your best bet is to find a 1972 intake.

Second, the '73 Buick carb is not a good choice for a Pontiac unless it's modified. It came from the factory with very lean idle mixture passages that are difficult to enlarge. The air horn may look identical to that of a Pontiac Q-Jet, but it is very different in functionality. When I build 800 cfm carbs for customers out of Buick carbs, I use Pontiac air horns, choke mechanism/pulloff and throttle body. This is the only way to build "SD clone" carbs.

P.S. The best candidate for 800 cfm Buick Q-jet conversion is the 1972 #7042240.

Skip Fix
03-23-2000, 02:31 AM
You can convert just about any Q jet to electric choke. You might need to spend some time at the auto parts store. The choke pulloff spring in the hot air or electric can go in either but need to go one direction only to work correctly. You may have to compare your hot air spring to a couple of electric ones to find one that will work. The need a wire hot from somewhere that gets juice when the key is on (IGN). Also be sure that you do NOT use the gasket under it or the electric won't get a good ground.

Skip Fix
03-23-2000, 02:33 AM
I guess I read your question a little wrong, just don't worry about the hot air tube(no a vacuum source) just hook up the electric to a hot wire.

Double A
03-23-2000, 03:31 PM
I really appreciate all the input, guys.
So how about this: I have plenty of heated choke coils from chevy 4MC 's lying around, so could the Buick 800 carb be converted to that kind of mechanism?
And since this is purely for street, would I be ahead of the game in simply putting a Chevy or Pontiac 750 quad that already has that choke design (hot air supplied through tube) and go on with it?
This is NOT concours by a long shot, but I am looking for the best budget performance I can get.
Thanks again, all. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif A.A.

Chiefpontiac
03-24-2000, 05:19 PM
Your best bet is to stick with a Pontiac carb. It will provide decent performance with a minumum of hassle. The 1975 and up Pontiac Q-Jet is capable of flowing 800 cfm, but it needs some mods to be considered a perfomance piece.