PDA

View Full Version : G-Tech meter by Tesla

Dave Kovar
02-13-2000, 03:07 PM
Has anyone used the G-Tech meter by Tesla. It is sold in Summit. I am interested in buying one, but want to know if they are as accurate as they say. Sure would help on tuning. I live a long ways from a track (200 miles). It would be better than spinning your tires on the black top and saying, ya, that's better!!!

Dave Kovar
02-13-2000, 03:07 PM
Has anyone used the G-Tech meter by Tesla. It is sold in Summit. I am interested in buying one, but want to know if they are as accurate as they say. Sure would help on tuning. I live a long ways from a track (200 miles). It would be better than spinning your tires on the black top and saying, ya, that's better!!!

Maniac
02-14-2000, 02:22 AM
If that's the same or similar to the G-Tech probe then I know a guy who has Skylark and uses one to test his times. According to him and few articles i've read it's not that accurate.

------------------
Maniac

RPM
02-17-2000, 09:18 PM
My personal experience with the G-Tech is that it is as accurate as Telsa claims it is.

Paul Lewis
02-22-2000, 09:09 AM
I tried one on an almost stock car to see how close the results could be. The car in stock form had 250hp with a couple of mods that added maybe 10hp but the engine had over 130K on it. The G-tech showed 248hp after only 2 passes. Had I played with the launch and shifting, Im sure I could have got it higher.

Joel Koontz
02-29-2000, 11:47 PM
Maniac,

What articles have you read that say it is not accurate? I have read two and both say the ET is VERY close to strip ET. The MPH always read higher on G-Tech but it was VERY consistent. It was ALWAYS almost exactly the same variation(I think it was approx. 2.5 MPH). Part of that is due to the way G-Tech "reads" speed, vs. the way the track "reads" speed. G-Tech calculates speed at the very end of 1/4 and most tracks using a timing calculation over a distance at the end of the track.

I have one and like it but I cannot vouch for it's accuracy as I have never had my car to the track. It "teaches" you how to get the best launch(0-60 time) and it is fun to try in different cars to see how your friends cars compare to yours w/o having to actually race.

A problem I have found is finding level and straight road to make 1/4 mile runs. Most of them seem to be in the middle of town or on a busy interstate. In my area it is hard to find an isolated road that is level and straight for 1/4 mile. I nearly alway run 0-60 MPH. It is even hard to find isolated level area to do that.

I would like to hear from people who have them and have run at the track to compare.
How accurate are they?

Thanks, Joel

mrdan7
08-16-2005, 05:14 PM
I have used the G-Techs for a tuning aid before track slips, as a tuning aid to insure changes are headed in the right direction.(saves track guessing)
They are very accurate w/ ET's but the mph is always higher, (who cares) I only use it for 1/4 mile, MPH tuning, & the numbers were always repeatable, & reliable, but not accurate, MPH-wise.

Other data entry is critical for H.P. numbers ect. Most dont even know the correct weight of their street stuff with a measured amount of fuel on any given day. You have got to get weighed, w/ your buns in the seat, and all fluid capacities & weights known, record all data for test runs will help, temp,humidity, altitude,fluids, and check to make certain your test run area is the same everytime.
(Onboard Inclinometer will tell you if you are running uphill or not, throughout test area)

When I was satisfied with the tuning using the 1st gen G-Tech, I went to the track and all times were w/in .10 - .23 on a very hot day. They are only as good as the input numbers...

MRDAN7