PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Project

Guard007
03-30-2006, 04:21 PM
OK, First post, so here's where I get started! For months now, been reminiscing with an old friend while I was off work due to knee surgery, he used to have a late 60's Mustang fastback, wishes he still had it. I used to have a 67 GTO when I was in my teens in the 70's. Think this might be about the ripe old age of 49 to MAYBE!, find a "muscle" car before its too late!
A couple of weeks ago, went back to work and talking to a buddy at work, he tells me a friend of his is parting with an old tempest he's no longer physically able to work on, SO, we go the next weekend to look at it. As the pics show, wonderfull body, no rust anywhere, trunks good, floors good, still original interior, 51K miles still running! We go for a ride, long story short, I bought it last week, and drive it 60 miles home. Runs great, only question I have now, it has the orig. 6 cyl, 215 automatic, runs perfect, but I'd rather have a v8 mildly built, so's I can cruise whenever I want, (or the wife). My brother-in-law called me with a co-worker of his has an old bonneville with a 400 v8, 400 trans, what do you think?

mwritter
03-30-2006, 04:38 PM
'64 post - my favorite. I say throw a V8 and a 4spd in there and have fun.

OHC6-Man
03-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Love the '64. I don't know much about 64's, but if it's lighter than most Tempest/GTOs you could throw in a nice light high powered block with some really stiff suspension and you could have a road warrior there. :cool:

Guard007
03-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Sounds good to me! I've been out of the "grease monkey" mentality for 25-30 years, so I'm hoping to get some good advise on what combo of engine-trans would be about right for a good street ride, plenty of go when, if I want it, but still dependable for good weather driving! I really figure "finished" to have around $7K in it. What do you think about the bonne 400 V8? A friend whos an excellent mech, recommended the 400 trans, pretty well lift stock? I'm not really that worried to keep everything stock, since its not the "real thing", but I feel nothing would be as good as keeping it all pontiac powered! (Wish it had a 4-spd in it, is it much to change over? CAN'T WAIT!

a67goatnut
03-30-2006, 07:20 PM
I know someone that wold be interested in the 215 too....me! Where are you located?

Guard007
03-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Sorry, but I kinda thought since it's all the orig. running gear, with only 51K on it, I'll set it back and save it. I plan on keeping this car till I can't drive anymore.

400 4spd.
03-30-2006, 11:18 PM
I believe the 400 transmission out of a full size (B-body) car will have the long tail shaft housing. You will need a short shaft 400 to fit the Tempest body. The engine would fit with no problem, but you will need the motor mounts and frame brackets form an A-body.

gtome
03-31-2006, 09:25 AM
A turbo 400 will work but will take some work to make it fit (move the crossmember and shorten the drive shaft). A turbo 350 will be a direct replacement for the power glide. I just did this with a 65 Tempest (but with a built 455) column shift bench seat car.......what a sleeper! I did have to custom bend the shift rod to make it work, but did get it to go into all gears.

Guard007
04-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Sounds do-able. A sleeper is exactly the way I'm leaning towards, except I kinda feel the 455 is a little beyond my abilities! Thanks for suggestions and insight on what will work and what mods I'll have to make. I've got some reading ahead of me!

gtome
04-03-2006, 08:36 AM
I read for hours and hours before doing mine. Now, I think it would have just been time better spent to just get out there and start doing it. Tackle each challenge as it comes. Just get the right motor mounts, a T-350 trans, and a 4 core radiator, there rest of what you have should work. I agree on keeping the original drivetrain just in case, it doesnt take up that much room. With the rising cost of gas, Im about ready to put my 6 back in.............well not yet!! A 400 will be plenty to get you into trouble, its just a little easier to make big power with a 455. Good luck!

Guard007
06-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Hmm, just drove couple of wks ago, 300 mi. to Michigan and picked up a 66 Ventura w/ a rebuilt 400 slightly built, TH400 trans rebuilt, all less than 100 miles on em, CHEAP. The work begins.

OHC6-Man
06-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Good luck on the rest of your project.

And damn gtome, that is one of the best sleepers Ive seen in a while!

mike nixon
06-16-2006, 04:26 PM
300 miles to mich, where're you from?

that 64 is a good start and will make a nice driver when it's done.

mike

Guard007
06-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Mike, I'm in the southern tip of Ohio, (Portsmouth). I'm "guess-ta-mate-ing that mileage on how many hours it took to drive to Mich. (wife ridin with me made it seem a lot farther!)

mike nixon
06-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Mike, I'm in the southern tip of Ohio, (Portsmouth). I'm "guess-ta-mate-ing that mileage on how many hours it took to drive to Mich. (wife ridin with me made it seem a lot farther!)

i've been thru portsmouth.

doesn't the wife always make trips longer? lol

mike