PDA

View Full Version : 1970 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

jcg500plus
11-16-2007, 03:53 PM
:) If you are looking for a Grand Prix project with virtually no body work required, this is the one. Why spend 5-6 K on replacing panels, floors, trunks, etc as many seen on the web when you can start with this. No rust on this original body. Body was off frame to paint underside. Inner wheelhouses, cabin floor and trunk are perfect. No rust in cowl area. Main body and fenders have been edged. Frame has been blasted and painted. Suspension and brakes are new. WS6 Steering box has been rebuilt. Bumpers in great shape with powder coated reinforcements. Vehicle is ready for Automatic or 4 Speed. Have console for both. Muncie M21 w/ 2.20 first included but needs referbish. No engine but, new a/c compressor, evaporator, fuel pump, etc, etc included. Also have alternator, Quadrajet intake w/ Holley spread bore, rad, condenser, bellhousing, distributor, all clutch pedals and linkage. Original seats and carpets in excellent condition. Door panels for both manual and power windows. Chassis complete, body will need to be put together. See photo of build sheet on door panel. If you are interested, please reply with your phone number and I will cover much more about the car in detail. $ 10,500 You can't go wrong...................
NOTE: PHOTOS TO FOLLOW AFTER I RESIZE THEM TO FIT>>>>>>>>>

Matt Meaney
11-16-2007, 11:08 PM
interested.... maybe
is this an original stick car, or do you just have the parts to convert?

jcg500plus
11-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Auto,but pedals are in car I have shifter porch, original shifter and console THIS CAR IS A GREAT FIND.

FAT CAT 2+2
11-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Can't wait for the pictures!!

jcg500plus
11-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Working on adding photos.

jcg500plus
11-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Here are some more photos. Had to resize to get them on forum.

jcg500plus
11-20-2007, 01:24 PM
:focus: Just thought to update a few more photos. I have seen several GP resto projects recently and send my sympathy for those replacing all the sheet metal on these poor cars. Remember, you have a choice to start with a solid foundation and this is one of them. I don't have photos of the front wheel wells since I just got them back from the powder coaters. They look great.

NOTE: This could be your holiday gift to yourself and being in this condition, ready to hit the highway by the crisp first days of spring 2008.

jcg500plus
12-22-2007, 02:51 PM
:horn: UPDATE: The project is moving along. Also, price is going up. Putting together a killer street 455 +.030. This one will big HP & torque. Upgrading suspension to make this a handler also. I will get some updated photos to you all soon!

FAT CAT 2+2
12-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Looking forward to them. Looks good now!

Keith Vrabec
12-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Interesting stable mate for a Cobra. If you finish the GP esp with stick, you'll sell the Cobra, unless you're single.

jcg500plus
01-10-2008, 04:42 PM
:horn: UPDATE:
Project is moving along. Motor should be ready in a few weeks. Got some sheet metal pre-fit. See photos.. Muncie 4 speed just off a fresh rebuild. Built this one with a 2.52 First Gear. This will be a perfect matchup with the rear gear. Wow, complete OE shifter will cost you 750.00. Lucky I had lower assy with install kit. Proper handle still cost 350.00. Without OE shifter the OE console will not work. Worked on outer heater / a/c case. I have a new core and evaporator including all other a/c stuff. Only want to deal with this one time before engine install. Got back all the powder coated trinkets. Boy this is nice stuff. Worked on front suspension. Lowered coils apx 1 inch and installed camber correction kit. Wow, what a job that was. Checked rear posi unit. Has orig. 2.93 gears as per build sheet. Looks great inside. New gasket and rear powder coated cover back on just waiting for posi lube! Here are a few more photos! P.S. Photos taken 1/8/08 Outside Temperature a balmy 63 in NY. Go figure?
:attention
This vehicle is still " FOR SALE " at any stage of rebuild. Contact me for current price!!

Matt Meaney
01-13-2008, 01:31 AM
cars comming along great. got to love the nice weather we've been having. but this is the northeast, it's only a matter of time before we pay for it. ;>} since i can't afford a real one, i would like to convert my car to a stick. can you tell me what the part # of the shifter is?
thanks, matt

jcg500plus
01-14-2008, 02:04 PM
:jumping:

Almost ready for assembly! 468 Cubic Inches of Pontiac Power. Block has been bored, decked and de-burred. Heads ported, polished and matched to RPM Performer Intake and Latest Design D-Port Long Branch Factory Headers. Comp Cam, Roller Chain, etc. Assy has been balanced. Will be completed in a few weeks then to the " Engine Dyno " I will put out the results once done. Here are a few pre-assembly photos.
:cool:
REMEMBER, THIS ONE IS STILL " FOR SALE "

Contact me for Current Pricing.

Thanks,

JCG500PLUS@AOL.COM

jcg500plus
02-16-2008, 08:02 PM
:jumping: We'll here we are again. Still gathering parts and starting to mock fit prior to going to the trim shop for the vinyl top moulding pre-fit and then to the body shop. Dropped an old motor, heads and intake in for all the mock-up. The fresh trans and shifter assy installed for pre-fit. Wow, a perfect fit with the console assy in place. I know it still looks like a basket case but soon all these pieces will become one bad @*! machine. I am a little surprised I have not had any real serious buyers for this. I guess you are all waiting for the finished product? Here are just a few additional photos. Oh, trying to figure out how I will fit this batwing air cleaner under the hood. Possible custom fabricated raised steel hood? I think there are a few used hoods I could get to play with to create such a piece? :burnout:

1970gpsj4speed
02-16-2008, 10:48 PM
What kind of air filter is that? nice ride

jcg500plus
03-27-2008, 03:54 PM
:hooray: Came to add some engine photos. All the machining has been completed and now it is coming together. Machining has been completed. Few last minute items being picked up before the " RUN IN " at the machine shop. Kudo's to Walt @ " Heads Up Machine ". What great work! While the engine has been at the shop I took the car to the trim shop and had the vinyl top trim pre fit for the mounting clips. All holes drilled and back home. Body shop will be ready for it in about 2 weeks. Plenty to do before it gets there. Pre fitting all the power window hardware and holes to be drilled. Just a few more pieces to order and then its hurry up and wait till the paint is done. Will send you out some more photos as I get them. I guess all the offers will be coming in once its completed. Oh, I have to apologize to the purists, engine color is early Cadillac blue. Look at it this way, still good old General Motors! Got to look out, there is a Healthy Buick Engine next to me trying to mate?

Tazzz2
04-01-2008, 10:16 PM
That sure is one sweet looking GP.....My mother had a gold 70 J and it was the first car I ever took out joy-riding as a kid LOL.

Do you have a rough sale number on the finished project??? kinda curious.

jcg500plus
04-04-2008, 09:02 AM
:clap3: Spent several hours at the machine shop yesterday. As you remember I got this car in boxes and baskets including all the nuts, bolts and brackets. Some other pontiac bracketry was also thrown in. Now, fitting all the correct brackets to the engine! As you see, I finally got it. Due to the Edelbrock manifold, rear upper A/C bracket required modification. P.S., A/C Compressor will be cleaned up before final assy. After this was done, adjustment swing worked out perfect! Few more things to tidy up including proper bolt lengths and a dipstick tube attachment mod and we will be ready to put the plug wires on, setup the engine on the run stand and fire it up! Here are a few more photos.

69gp400
04-04-2008, 04:10 PM
looks good joe

jcg500plus
07-14-2008, 10:10 AM
I AM BACK!

So many projects going on! The Grand Prix engine was completed a few months ago. Had it running on the run stand to break in and fine tune. Wow. Dropped in the car and next to body shop where it was for a few months. Finally on Friday, July 11, 2008, paint was completed. Just needs to be wet sanded and buffed. Final photos will follow. Boy, the body is as straight as an arrow. NO REPLACEMENT PANELS OR BONDO! All original sheet metal! I did weld in the emblem holes on deck lid, hood, sail panels and front fenders. Next trip to get the vinyl top installed. I will post a few prep photos in the booth.
Anticipated completion date is mid August 08
Final price is pending.

jcg500plus
07-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Here are a few engine photos getting ready for the initial fire-up and break in. This was an exciting day.

jcg500plus
01-23-2009, 05:48 PM
I am back to this project. Being a gluton for punishment, I started a major resto job on my 1970 Corvette 454 4 speed convertible. Body is coming off the frame now. We'll, back to the GP. It has been painted and now I got Ralph from Ralph's Auto Top's & Upholstery from Montgomery NY to come to the house and install the vinyl top. I had the trim powder coated black. I think it looks great but thats me. Here are a few shots of the top install. He did a great job. I would highly recommend him for any Trim, Top or Upholstry job. Give him a call @ 845-567-9101 He will be back to replace the headliner. The headliner was actually in grat shape except for a non removeable stain over the passenger seat. Looks like the gel on a beehive hairdoo has been rubbing for some time? I am going full bore now to complete this car and have it on the road first nice spring day!

jcg500plus
10-23-2009, 08:14 AM
:focus:BACK AGAIN. AFTER DELAYS BECAUSE OF THE CORVETEE PROJECT, PROGRESS CIONTINUES. PARTS ARE BEGINNING TO FIND THEIR WAY ONTO THE CAR. ALWAYS A CHALLENGE SINCE I GOT THE CAR IN BASKETS AND THE ASSY MANUAL IS FAR FROM WHAT YOU WOULD CALL CLEAR! HERE ARE A FEW PROGRESS PHOTOS.

GPCONV
10-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Color change?

jcg500plus
10-24-2009, 05:15 PM
When I got the vehicle, the previous owner who started the resto 10 years prior wanted to paint the vehicle 96 Dodge Viper Blue. Not my choice of color. In the photos the vehicle looks black but in actual bright sunlight the vehicle is a dark metallic blue. I will try to get some photos out there to reflect the true color. The body on this thing is all original rust free sheet metal that is straight as an arrow. If you see this vehicle in real life you can see that a dark color like this proves that. This was probably a once in a lifetime find for me.... I have yet to find a GP owner that did not have to do severe panel repairs or replacements....

GPCONV
10-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Good luck on gettin the right sunlight anywhere in NY with the way the weather is... nice job you're doing here.

cutrone
10-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Hey , It looks Great !!!!!

Your doing an Awesome job.:D

goquick
10-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Looking good!

chuckies76ta
10-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Nice looking car. What brand of rims are those? Have you set a price on the car yet?

Thanks
Charles

jcg500plus
10-27-2009, 08:48 AM
THANKS,

THEY ARE AMERICAN RACING VINTAGE T71R'S THAT I HAD TECHNICAL COATINGS CORP. IN KINGSTON N.Y. POWDERCOAT THE CENTERS PLATINUM. 15X8 & 15X7 THEY TURNED OUT GREAT.

SECOND, ON THE PRICE. I HAVE TO FINISH THE PROJECT TO DECIDE, BUT BASED ON THE WHAT THIS CAR IS, IT WILL NOT BE CHEAP!!!

I AM AT THE UNDERHOOD STAGE RIGHT NOW. I AM ROUTING THE ELECTRONICS AND A/C LINES NEATER AND DIFFERENT THAN THE FACTORY LOCATIONS. I WILL HAVE UPDATED PHOTOS SOON..

JOE

chuckies76ta
10-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks Joe

Charles

ponchjoe
12-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Joe,

You left us hanging... I need my quarterly fix from this thread. did you finish it?

Thanks,
Joe

jcg500plus
01-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Sorry for the gap on updates. :focus:

We'll, the holidays are over and I am back to the Grand Prix. No she's not done yet. First, I have to confess. I am most pationate of my Grand Prix but I have several other projects going on. All Pontiac purists' come back after this paragraph! I am also in the middle of a complete resto/resto rod of a 1970 Corvette BB Convertible for my fiance. In-between that I had an opportunity to acquire a 1969 Nova 6 cyl Auto with 25K original miles. Could not pass up but could be for sale at the right price. But wait!! I bought a Peterbilt Tractor. Looking for a trailer to pull behind that will hold some of these projects. Now you may understand some of the gaps in GP updates.:confused:

Pontiac purists' can come back now.:)

I took the dash and placed it on the kitchen table. After 6 hours I got the guage pod in and built a tach out of the orig clock housing and the internal workings of a reproduction tach. The housings on those are real junk!! Going through the wire harness I realized the printed curcuit on the guage package pod I had did not match up. Spoke to a tech at Ames to clarify. Cleaned all the dash knobs and gathered all parts needed to assy the dash. I will get the photos on here as soon as possible to give you your fix.

MOJO Catalina
01-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Is this a "Build" thread or a "For Sale" thread?
What's the price?

Toecutter
01-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Is this a "Build" thread or a "For Sale" thread?
What's the price?

His motto is "If you have to ask, you can't afford" :cool:

ponjohn
05-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Any updates?