PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel hub

ho428
03-03-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm using a 68 Firebird stock column but need to put a quick connect hub on it for a Grant wheel.
So far I haven't found one that doesn't weld on, I thought Summit carried one for the factory splines and nut, but they have so many listed it's confusing.
I figure someone here must have bought one. Anyone got a link or part number?

engineer
03-03-2008, 02:32 PM
buy the Grant one for a removable locking type. They are almost universal for all GM.

screamingchief
03-03-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm using a 68 Firebird stock column but need to put a quick connect hub on it for a Grant wheel.
So far I haven't found one that doesn't weld on, I thought Summit carried one for the factory splines and nut, but they have so many listed it's confusing.
I figure someone here must have bought one. Anyone got a link or part number?
First thing to do is determine what splines are on the coluum your using,if your using the earlier GM non-locking coluum you should carefully check the splines,they may be different and not compatible with this style of hub as most are for the later GM locking coluums.

Summit did offer a quick release that was bolt on piece sold under their own house brand,was part #G7851 price was $69.99,but as you found,I also dont see it listed anymore on their site.

So it stands to reason that part no. has been discontinued.

That said the other 36 spline GM pull to release/pinless quick release hubs are pretty much the same basic idea.

The rebco #270-8630 looks almost identical to the one summit sold under their house brand.

And it cost just a bit less too.

The grant #grt-3001 is more $$$,but it has an SFI sticker to go with that higher pricetag.

Installation took a bit of work on mine to make it look "right",but that was partly due to several things,nothing too bad though,and seemed better than welding.

First my coluum was gutted,to remove the entire locking mechanism (all race cars should do that,last thing you would want is for the coluum to accidently lock @ 100+ MPH due to an old worn out lock or such),and that made it a just little more work.

I say this because you gotta leave the lock ring/denent plate on the steering shaft as it holds the shaft in the coluum via a C-clip and keeps the shaft from sliding out on it's own.

Next was getting the trim plate to fit with the screws that came in the kit,they would'nt work so I ended up riveting the plate in place to keep from exposing the ugly coluum innards.

I can get pics if you want,lemme know.

HTH.

screamingchief
03-04-2008, 07:46 PM
I was out in the race car taking some pics for a fella wanting some pics in another thread,he was asking for pics of my console shifter set-up I made,so I snapped a couple quick pics of the steering wheel quick release as well,here you go.

HTH.