PDA

View Full Version : Drag racing front end alignment

1qikta
03-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Wanted to see what you guys request at the alignment shop? My car needs an alignment anyhow since the resto a few years ago....figured I would kill 2 birds with one stone.

I have the moroso front drag springs and 90/10 shocks for reference. Do they(alignment shops) just jack up the front of the car to the presumed launch height and have everything pointing in the right direction in that state? Or is there a certain amount of caster or camber degrees that is a standard in drag racing for down track alignment.

Planning to get it done in the next week. Maybe it will help pick it up some

I dont know if my car is this bad but here is a pic of what I am talking about at WOT on launch and waay down track. I am sure it would effect Mph and some ET. This car by the way is running 10.90's

Jagtec1
03-12-2008, 08:10 PM
I shoot for as much caster as I can get, right around 0* camber at the height it would ride down track, and about 1/16-1/8 toe in. I could care less what the camber and toe are when it is at rest.

I jack the front up a bit to simulate the attitude of the suspension when it is going down the track.

BAB
03-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Looks like Greg Gesslers car!

1qikta
03-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Looks like Greg Gesslers car!

Yep,

I always wondered if his alignment was that way by design or if it was hurting mph. Just doesnt look like it is helping. The pics are old, maybe he has done something since.

It is only intended as an example...

rtanner
03-12-2008, 11:18 PM
gregs alignment is that way on purpose his toe is in dead zero at speed and that negative camber is allowing him to skate along on very little tire tread since they cant use skinny tires it gives the same effect!

SLICK1
03-14-2008, 09:06 AM
I shoot for as much caster as I can get, right around 0* camber at the height it would ride down track, and about 1/16-1/8 toe in. I could care less what the camber and toe are when it is at rest.

I jack the front up a bit to simulate the attitude of the suspension when it is going down the track.

Same here!;)

Goathead
03-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Don't ask me..:rolleyes: :o

Tim Corcoran
03-18-2008, 12:43 AM
I took mine to the shop and did the jack up thing and wore out a set of front skinnies in a big hurry. Now I do it my self in the garage just eye ball it with the car sitting on the ground and the tires are wearing fine now.

Tim C

Jagtec1
03-18-2008, 06:11 AM
Tim, they must have had the toe screwed up. Do you drive it on the street?

Tim Corcoran
11-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Not in this car, track only

Keith Seymore
11-01-2012, 01:51 PM

x3

K

superdutybob
11-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Jay:

If Greg does his set up on purpose it makes a lot of sense to me. Dead straight toe at run height and a minimum of tire patch on the ground. A couple degrees of negative camber would do it.

The only issue is it would be hell to drive on the street and would wear out tires quickly.

Skip Fix
11-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Some guys I know like negative camber as it does decrease the footprint,resistance.