PDA

View Full Version : WTB 1980 Grand AM

jims80grandam
07-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Looking for a 1980 Grand AM preferably black with a landau top and in good condition.
I sold mine in the mid 80's to buy a mini van. Send an e-mail and pictures to
jcoher001@twcny.rr.com

iowapub
07-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Hey Jim,
You called me on the 4th. I'll let you know if I find the car that fits your requirements.
I've got 2 black 80's with landaus when you're ready for a project.
I kow of 3 other 80's for sale, but not black and no landau.......

Lightfoot
07-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Iowa, did you see the black '80 in AutoTrader Classics July issue? The issue with the '56 VW Beetle on the cover.

I tried to find it online, so I could post a heads-up on here, but it wouldn't come up in a search. I figured it might of sold right away or something. Was non-Landau, with supposedly only 39K, but needed paint. They were asking $3950. It was in the north central Ohio region.

Just wondered if you knew anything about it.

P.S. phone number if Jim wants to try it: 330-488-2500

iowapub
07-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Nope, didn't see that one Lightfoot. I know of a lot of them in Ohio, but this one dosn't sound familiar..
I've started to post more "for sale" cars on my new site on the
"others cars for sale" page.

I'll look for that issue when I get out East in the a.m.
Sounds like a good one for Jim.

My 80's need frame rails ($300 plus instal see link)
except UFO's old 80, which needs drivetrain and odds and ends that I have piles of and the landau reinstalled.

jims80grandam
07-16-2009, 03:02 PM
I called the guy in Ohio and he sold it in June. It was also in the August Classic Auto Trader. It sounded pretty good. The guy said all it needed was paint and a head liner. Thats the bad news. The real bad news it the guy that bought it is chopping it up, taking the drive train out and putting in a high performance engine. I guess i'll have to keep looking. Thanks for the tip on this one.

gto4door
07-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Not my car and I have never seen. But this Black '80 GA was for sale 2 months ago in May on the Seattle, WA Craigslist. I no longer see that posting in the Seattle Craigslist. I want to say the seller was asking around $4,500, but I am not quite sure. However, I saved the car domain link (see below) that was on the Craiglist Ad. You might be able to contact the seller from that link to see if he or she still has the car.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3326808

Pontiacdaver
07-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Not my car and I have never seen. But this Black '80 GA was for sale 2 months ago in May on the Seattle, WA Craigslist. I no longer see that posting in the Seattle Craigslist. I want to say the seller was asking around $4,500, but I am not quite sure. However, I saved the car domain link (see below) that was on the Craiglist Ad. You might be able to contact the seller from that link to see if he or she still has the car.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3326808

He emailed me pics of the car a few months ago, his Dad bought it new. It is loaded, and seems to be in good shape, except the headliner. I think he is negotiable, and it would be hard to find a nicer one, since 80s are the rarest (it even has power sunroof). Good luck in your search. -Dave

Lightfoot
07-20-2009, 08:01 PM
I was looking at that '80 Grand Am on cardomain recently as well.

It has two features that I have never seen on any other 1980 Grand Am:
Column Shift,
Rally IVs instead of Snowflakes.

Allthough I have seen three 80s with factory wire wheel covers.

Pontiacdaver
07-21-2009, 08:09 AM
I was looking at that '80 Grand Am on cardomain recently as well.

It has two features that I have never seen on any other 1980 Grand Am:
Column Shift,
Rally IVs instead of Snowflakes.

Allthough I have seen three 80s with factory wire wheel covers.

I agree with you on the column shift, but according to literature I've read, the Rally IVs were standard on the G/A in 1980 (I think buckets seat were std. too). Pontiac made the G/A package better for 1980 with more standard equipment. -Dave

Lightfoot
07-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I agree with you on the column shift, but according to literature I've read, the Rally IVs were standard on the G/A in 1980 -Dave
I'm quite aware of that, but I was just saying that this is the 1st actual example I've seen that had the Rally IVs. I may have seen one dealer brochere photo that showed them, along the way somewhere, but no 'real world' examples.

I remember reading that Randy W's car was ordered with standard Rally IVs also.

I agree, the 1980 Grand Am was the best of that generation. Too bad the public didn't catch on.

P.S. I would estimate that probably 85% of them were delivered with Snowflake wheels.
Probably less than 50-100 out of 1647 had the bench seat.

jims80grandam
09-05-2009, 01:32 PM
I bought the 80 Grand AM in Seattle. It's in great shape but needs TLC. The only thing I wish it had was bucket seats and a console. If any one has one let me know. Does any one know what trasnmission came as OEM in this car? Does the trans. have a vin number on it the same as the engine? And finally, where can I buy parts like chrome, wiper switches, dome lights, etc.

jims80grandam
09-12-2009, 08:08 AM
I called the guy in Ohio and he sold it in June. It was also in the August Classic Auto Trader. It sounded pretty good. The guy said all it needed was paint and a head liner. Thats the bad news. The real bad news it the guy that bought it is chopping it up, taking the drive train out and putting in a high performance engine. I guess i'll have to keep looking. Thanks for the tip on this one.

Now for the good news. The new owner of the Ohio Grand Am is not chopping the car up. Apparently he has plans to make it a class ride. Maybe I should bite my tongue until I know what I'm talking about. Good luck with the car and let me know if you need any parts.