PDA

View Full Version : 1970 Grand Prix Model J

ponchopio
11-08-2009, 08:56 PM
My 69 Grand Prix just arrived from Washington through Kansas. An awesome, rust-free, car with no interior/motor/tranny that will be my new hot rod. The plans for the yellow 70 were thrown out the window as it's just too nice an original car to modify. It would be a shame to do so. I really don't want to spend the next two months disassembling and painting the 70 for re-sale as I want to dive into the new 69.

Here's what I'm putting out there:

$2500 70 GP three years ago.
$900 complete rebuild of rear-end.
$1700 removal of all quarter panel rust thru and area on panel between backlight and decklid. The rust was minimal but I had TriPower Automotive completely restore any area with rust with completely new, hand-fabbed new metal. These guys do Bloomington Vettes and the $7.5 million Cobra Daytona. Expensive but worth it.
$200 new brakes and fresh wheel studs.
$300 new Edelbrock Performer carb.
$5600 in it so far.

PS, PB, PW, A/C, CD disk changer (have never figured out how to work it), 400 4bbl, TH400, dual exhaust, really nice chrome and bumpers, everything works but A/C.

There are still a couple of tiny areas where the vinyl top trim attaches that have pinholes, a spot on the hood and the lower fenders are rusted through. I have a pair of awesome rust-free fenders that I paid $300 for if a party was interested. The interior is very nice. A seam area near the driver's left shoulder is coming open and a few minor cracks in the console. The dash and door panels are AWESOME and those are the panels that are impossible to find. The car runs and drives beautifully. The motor was supposedly rebuilt by the Pontiac Dealership Tech at the Pontiac dealership the prior owner worked at. Has a drip at the rear main seal. Needs an upper rear control arm bushing but I have a replacement control arm from a real 69 Judge to replace it with (doesn't make it worth any more, just interesting is all!). Has Rally IIs and wide BFGs. Dual exhaust. Awesome floors, frame and trunk. No rattles, squeaks, etc. Nice, tight car.

Note that I have since removed the vinyl top and started to block out the body. I will be posting photos of the current state ASAP along with a link to video of the car running and driving on the eBay listing. These are photos of the car as it was as my driver. These Salt Flat Special wheels and tires are not included. The top has been sanded clean and prepped with POR 15 and ready for a new top. I could possibly help out with storage too. All stainless trim is included and in great shape. Just removed as I started to block the body out.

If there is no interest, I'm just going to "suede" it in black and try again. It's such a nice, tight, reliable car it would be great to keep it around. For me to make money on it, I'd have to pull everything off and give it a 3 month, $3000 paint job with me doing all the work and I'd still likely be breaking even at best.

Here is a link to photos:

http://public.fotki.com/ponchopio/ponchopio_vehicles/1970-grand-prix/

I would also consider a trade for a Pontiac Wagon, preferably full size.

It's a 40 year old car so there are no guarantees, but you could fly in and drive this GP home. It's a wonderful, tight, reliable, great old Grand Prix that can be driven with confidence anywhere and every day.

dedsleds
11-09-2009, 11:03 PM
i've seen this car, it's everything pio says it is. solid driver, runs great.

ponchopio
11-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Hey there Eric! Hope all is well. I listed the 70 because eBay was offering a free listing special so thought I'd see if she could generate any interest.

Also, watched the youtube link you included with Sabbath doing Blue Suede Shoes. Love TI jamming with his watch on...nothing says pure bluesy metal like a nice timepiece! :-)>

Pio

triathlonx13
11-10-2009, 09:46 AM
I can't access ebay from this computer - can you post current pictures and asking price here?

Thanks.

dedsleds
11-10-2009, 09:54 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-Grand-Prix-1970-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-Model-J_W0QQitemZ300365185897QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_ Trucks?hash=item45ef290369

$3,600.00

ponchopio
11-11-2009, 06:24 PM
I've added about 15+ photos of the GP in it's current condition to the eBay auction.

Keep in mind that the primer spots cover the $1700 work of work by TriPower Automotive and the roof was done in POR15 to just seal the roof before a new top went on. I wasn't planning on selling but eBay had a free listing offer so I thought I'd try it out. It would also help me focus on my other GP instead of having TWO that were in the middle of resto! Obviously, it doesn't look as sharp with the trim removed but I wasn't going to reinstall everything for some photos and have to take them off again if it didn't sell so I can get back to paint. That's why the before photos are included. To show how nice it all is.

There are two sets of photos. One is "dry" so you can see the starting of the blocking out process. The other shots are "wet" so you can see how straight the car is. Yes, there are tiny little door dings and spots to take care of, but the car was never hammered. I haven't started the work yet. I just began blocking to see where it needed attention. The door lips are awesome too--just the crustiness from being a driver for 30+ years.

Also, for $4500 I will include the fenders too. The rest of the car is just too nice to patch those original fenders.

ponchopio
05-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Last month we got around to completely cleaning up the exterior and getting her in black epoxy. The goal was to get it uniform in color for now so I can keep working on it to ready it for paint but it looks so awesome as it is (1) it is my daily driver so I don't want to blow it apart and have it out of commission (2) every single person that sees it says I should just leave it as-is because it looks so wicked. Nothing else has changed including the price. Still $4500 but now you can keep driving it proudly for a couple of years until you decide on what color you want. I've uploaded many new pics inside and out that can be viewed in my Fotki photo album. The link to the album is in the original post. It's not perfect by any stretch but then again it's also a great running, driving and stopping 70 GP with PW for only $4500.

ponchopio
05-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Just realized the original post reflected an eBay listing. It is not on eBay at the moment but will be in a few weeks if it doesn't sell on PY. The original ad reflected a willingness to trade for a full size wagon. I'd still be open to looking at what you have but I'm selling the GP to pay for a 65 Safari picked up from Chris in CA so I'm not too hot to trade. Thanks!

63 Pontiac
06-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Good looking GP, John! Wish I could add it to the fleet.

ponchopio
06-01-2011, 05:43 PM
:-)>

rdvab
06-16-2011, 12:34 PM
sent pm

Toecutter
07-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I have wanted one of these for a long time. Unfortunately, I can't get rid of any of my current projects since they are all spoken for. :(