PDA

View Full Version : 65 GP idler arm

mechanickeith
05-01-2016, 05:13 AM
My idler arm is worn. I ordered one from Kanter. It is different from the one on the car. The new one wont bolt on without modifications. 1,, the frame mount bracket is too long by about 3/4 inch. It rubs the brake line if not shortened. 2,, the tapered hole that the tie rod assembly ball joint goes into is the wrong size. It needs to be reamed out for the tie rod ball joint stud to fit properly. After these changes it still is not correct. When installed it changes the position of the tie rod assembly & that throws off the alignment & causes bump steer issues. I am leaving the new one on the car while searching for a correct one. I am waiting to hear back from Kanter. I checked with NAPA & rare parts, theirs is the same as Kanter. I am assuming rare parts makes this item for everyone else. Anyone have problems with their idler arm & getting the correct part??

stevep
05-01-2016, 06:19 AM
I had been buying them on Ebay in the past. It should bolt right up with no issues. It should fit 1965-1970 Pontiac.
I always use Kanter as a last resort.

BTW, never tell a parts guy that you have a GP. I learned that the hard way. Always order suspension parts for a 65 Catalina. Parts guys look up Grand Prix and their listing only goes back to 1969, so they give you the 69 GP part. They have no idea that a GP was a B body up to 1968.

Deadhead
05-02-2016, 07:08 AM
I am sure they sold you the one that does not have much if any offset to it. I had the same issue when I bought one off an E-Bay seller. They swore it was correct per parts book. I did not even try to install it. Could tell it would not work. There are usually a number of them for sale on there. Pretty easy to tell the Diff., once you see the wrong one in person.

mechanickeith
05-02-2016, 10:47 AM
The wrong one is straight. The correct arm is "S" shaped. Looking for the correct one. Have mail out to both Kanter & Rare Parts, no answer back yet.

Engine-Ear
05-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Keith,

Two different front steering systems were used for '65.

Do a search in this subforum for my early/late breakout by VIN. Also I posted all the Moog part numbers from a 1970 catalog.

For what it's worth, I have a box full of NOS and NORS '65 front suspension parts for sale or trade (for '62 stuff). PM if interested.