Conversation Between nytrainer and anewtoi
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
  1. nytrainer
    11-25-2011 10:24 PM
    nytrainer
    Just checked your pics. What dashhousing is that you are using? Did you have it custom molded? It's friggin awesome with those gauges and layout!
  2. nytrainer
    11-24-2011 01:13 PM
    nytrainer
    Excellent tips Bud. I haven't touched the dash yet. I need to remove the dashpad and change those chrome vents (a/c car). Then I'll remove the dash housing or see if I can get the tach in without removing the dash housing. I have the 350HO engine but that engine you put in is sweet. What rear are you using? I'm in New York (Long Island) and it looks like nice weather this weekend so we go down to the beach and meet up with close to 300 cars. Not sure where you live but this might be the last ride before I start tearing into it. Definitely need to remove the seats, console and steering wheel. Gonna send out the steering box and have it rebuilt with the fast ratio. Supposed make a night and day difference. Roughly $250 bucks but really changes how the car drives. I'll let you know.
    Dave
  3. anewtoi
    11-24-2011 01:17 AM
    anewtoi
    hey dave
    ya, im in the process as we speak of pulling the dash and putting in another one. ive got pics up of the new one. dont know how far along you are, but its best to go ahead and pull the seats and steering wheel. i pulled the dash before and it was a real pain with that stuff in the way. plenty of nuts and bolts to get to that you just cant properly get to. mark the screws and bolts so you dont forget where they go. maybe different baggies or something. the toughest thing will be the headlight switch. theres a little pushbutton which it about 10 o clock if you are facing the dash. but its behind the dash. push that in while pulling the knob all the way towards you. or, you can loosen all the other screws and pull the dash out about an inch and reach it with a long screwdriver. be careful with the dash bezel as its old and brittle. ive got some pics but havent posted them yet. my winter project includes buying a compressor and air tools to sand and paint the lower metal section of the dash and the top metal portion as well. and change the bezel totally. new autometer gauges. if youre going with a dash tach, theres an illumination wire prewired in for you. its grey and has a blue connector behind the dash. as far as the pad, theres about 5 screws that hold it to the dash. all easily reachable. the bezel has the 3 at the top when you pull the pad, remove the glovebox and theres another. then about 3-4 behind the dash. radio, ignition, and wiper bezels need to be moved before attempting to remove the dash bezel. hows that for "a few tips".. keep me posted
  4. nytrainer
    11-23-2011 11:08 PM
    nytrainer
    Love ur car. I have a 68 vert too. Winter project include pulling dash, removing clock for tach. I'd like to pull of the dash pad and dash housing. Looks like you did that already. Any pics of the process or maybe a few tips? (ps my car has an A/C dashpad)
    Thanks,
    Dave