Conversation Between Steve Barcak and Ed Fitzgerald
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
  1. Ed Fitzgerald
    08-23-2010 10:29 PM
    Ed Fitzgerald
    Steve check out my home page, tried to send you a PM and I think I sent it to myself
  2. Ed Fitzgerald
    08-13-2010 08:00 AM
    Ed Fitzgerald
    Thanks for the info,I'll try it and let you know how I make out.
  3. Steve Barcak
    08-13-2010 05:04 AM
    Steve Barcak
    I leanred to do this fromo a few friends who had done it. I used forged pistons to melt down, not sure if it matters though. It would be wise to practice on a junk or low performance head before you do it.
    When you do it, you get one chance to do it right, better to melt a bit more than not enough.
    You will need to bolt a plate to the intake side. You will be pouring through the exhaust valve area into the cavity. Have the head set up on a stand, or whatever so it is already at the right angle for pouring. this is where testing a time or two prior to your actual pour can be a benefit.
    To melt the piston (s), I put a clean piston on the stove in an iron skillet. After it is heated, I use a rosebud tip with an acy/oxy torch. Leave the stove on hi under the skillet as you need to keep the heat up. Use good insulated gloves when you make your pour.
    Once you make the pour, the alum will solidify almost right away. Then use a die grinder and blend your poured alum to match the port as best you can.

good luck to you.
  4. Ed Fitzgerald
    08-12-2010 08:28 PM
    Ed Fitzgerald
    Hi Steve sounds like the melted aluminum is the way to go for me also. Just did a rebuild on a 6 cylinder Navistar 466 diesel and was going to discard the pistons and liners but I would like to ask you how did you melt the pistons down. I thought maybe I would use a cast iron frying pan and puy it on my outdoor propane deep fryer.Any suggestions.?