PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   67-79 Big Pontiac TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749284)

camerjeff 04-22-2014 04:43 PM

Dennis,

The 68-72 A-body D-port manifolds bolt into the 71-76 B-bodies with out an issue (or so I am told LOL ) Supossedly I do not even need an Oil filter adaptor. But I will let everyone know how easy or not they install. And it doesn't look like the car ever had an anything but the standard Oil Filter adaptor on it.

bulletpruf 04-22-2014 08:56 PM

That's a pretty cool car and neat story, too. Glad to see it went to someone who will appreciate it.

Scott

camerjeff 05-29-2014 07:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well this car just keeps getting Odder, After rebuilding the Carb, and finding the fuel Bowl full of Metalic sludge. I thought it would be a good time to drop the tank and see how bad the inside is, and replace/repair the fuel sender.
Well I found out the fuel tank is Baffled!!!!! And because of that it does not have a normal fuel sender with a long float arm! So much for getting a reasonably priced replacement! I dropped of the sender to Bob's Speedo Shop and the estimate was $350-400 Ugh!!! Pain, Grown, and a lot of Wimpering!!!!! At least they are pretty sure they can repair it with the exeption of the odd strainer. Looks Like I will have to add an inline fuel filter, probably just in front of the fuel pump.
And the Baffles Complicate my do it yourself fuel tank cleaning I was planning on doing this weekend.
Looks like the tank had about 2" of water sitting in it for some time. I never thought about a baffled Fuel Tank being part of the Police Package!!! Makes Sense though. And as you can see in the pictures the fuel filler tube goes thru the baffle about 2/3rds of the length of the fuel tank.
Well At least I found a Nice Build Sheet on top of the Tank.

Ben M. 05-29-2014 08:26 PM

Very odd, I thought that type of fuel sender was gone after 1968. Guess it was part of a special package for the Enforcers. But yeah, that price is the going rate to get one of those guys repaired. Not cheap.

jmt455 05-29-2014 08:34 PM

Don't you just love it?
We're always learning...

SD455DJ 06-17-2014 12:42 PM

camerjeff, any updates on the ol' girl?

Dennis

camerjeff 06-18-2014 06:13 PM

Dennis,

Sorry to say still awaiting a solution to the crusty Baffled gas tank. I have just been working on cleaning up little things, and finished hanging the Exhaust system minus the tail pipes. I plan an cleaning up the area above the fuel tank and the fuel tank straps next.

keith k 06-18-2014 08:41 PM

I just read this one... cool car, Jeff!

GpFreak 06-19-2014 05:55 AM

12 volts and soda wash

Quote:

Originally Posted by camerjeff (Post 5218423)
Dennis,

Sorry to say still awaiting a solution to the crusty Baffled gas tank. I have just been working on cleaning up little things, and finished hanging the Exhaust system minus the tail pipes. I plan an cleaning up the area above the fuel tank and the fuel tank straps next.

How about the electrolysis method?

camerjeff 06-19-2014 06:23 PM

Funny you should mention that, I was just wondering how well that would work on this application. I may have to give it a shot, as the shop I was going to get it cleaned out at is still insisting they can get me another tank cheaper than cleaning it out, but they don't seem to get that I would prefer to keep it original if possible.

Dens71TA 06-20-2014 01:17 AM

FWIW, I just dropped the tank on a '72 Catalina tonight and it has the same fuel sender and baffled tank. Its a two door coupe and not a police car package. Just a basic 400 2-bbl car. From what quick research I did that style sender and fuel tank was only used '71-72 and is NOT reproduced! Some auto parts stored are substituting the '73-76 swing arm style fuel sender in their parts catalogs but I kind of doubt it actually fits with the tank baffling.

camerjeff 06-09-2016 07:34 PM

Well I started working on the Enforcer again, prepping it for body and paint this summer. And I was contacted by a guy that has old paperwork from PHS that states just 23 71 Freeway Enforcer's were built. This does not include Highway Enforcer's or Light Duty Police package car's.
Interesting as I was not able to get the same info from PHS when I asked. Kind neat info. The car is rarer than I would have thought. I hope to get it into the paint shop by July.

Dens71TA - I guess I never read your last post about the gas Tank. Interesting that all 71-71 Pontiac Big cars may have a Baffled Fuel Tank and Canister sender! Thanks for the info! Even if I got it late, no fault of yours.

Diego 06-09-2016 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

77 Canamman 06-09-2016 09:28 PM

Those are much rarer than the '76-'77 LeMans B09 Enforcers..

camerjeff 06-10-2016 09:20 AM

Thanks for the Data! Interesting that Pontiac sold 2 more Freeway Enforcers than in 1970, but significantly less of the Light Duty and Highway Enforcers. Makes me wonder if any other survivors left?

77 Canamman 06-10-2016 11:42 AM

Since 4 doors (especially fleet/police) were/are considered disposable by most, I would guess only 2-3 of each still exist, and they are probably sitting somewhere in rough condition.