PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   WRECKED.... (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798702)

David Jones 12-10-2016 12:47 PM

WRECKED....

1 Attachment(s)
After 16 years the GTO is wounded.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...1&d=1481388419

Singleton 12-10-2016 12:51 PM

Damn, what happened?

AdamIsAdam 12-10-2016 12:55 PM

Oh no!

David Jones 12-10-2016 01:06 PM

I was 2 blocks from home...headed in after a nice 30 degree morning ride. Picture a T, I was driving across the end (top of the T) of the street over from mine and a guy in a pickup pulled out of that street and just didn't turn sharply enough. I screamed TURN :) but it didn't help. The cop looked at the other fellow and said "you know this is your fault" and he grinned and nodded yes.
I'm sick.

72projectbird 12-10-2016 01:18 PM

Ouch! I've encountered a few people who fail to realize that they must turn the steering wheel more in order to complete the turn.

It does look very fixable. You're extremely lucky, it could have been much worse!

400 4spd. 12-10-2016 01:35 PM

I really hate to see that, David.
Judging only from that picture, a really good body man can save both panels (I hate that cliche'). Lots of hours required to get the metal right before any filler goes on, but it will save your top from being disturbed by not replacing it. PM me if you have any questions about the claim process, as you will most likely need to use your collector coverage to get it in the right shop.

PMD1969 12-10-2016 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Jones (Post 5667187)
I was 2 blocks from home...headed in after a nice 30 degree morning ride. Picture a T, I was driving across the end (top of the T) of the street over from mine and a guy in a pickup pulled out of that street and just didn't turn sharply enough. I screamed TURN :) but it didn't help. The cop looked at the other fellow and said "you know this is your fault" and he grinned and nodded yes.
I'm sick.

POS. Make sure that your car is put back together "perfectly"

David Jones 12-10-2016 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMD1969 (Post 5667208)
POS. Make sure that your car is put back together "perfectly"

It was a sheepish grin. Seemed to be a good guy. He knew what he'd done....after he asked me if I was ok he asked if it was a 68 or 69. He was insured and I've got Hagerty.

I know this is about to be a huge P I the A.

Best case.

Txbobcat 12-10-2016 02:17 PM

Too bad David hope it comes out OK

The Boss 12-10-2016 02:30 PM

Oh David - I'm so sorry for you and the car!

On the bright side, you can now get every ding taken care of and a full paint job too since only painting the two panels will stick out like dog balls.

Text me back if I can be of any help.

Chris

goatless 12-10-2016 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Jones (Post 5667215)
He was insured and I've got Hagerty.

Best case.

Hagerty was great when my '69 got hit years back. They told me to take it to my shop of choice and they'd handle the rest. They (Hagerty) worked out the details with the body shop and paid for the repairs so it got done quickly, then they collected from the other party's insurance co.

David Jones 12-10-2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Boss (Post 5667222)

will stick out like dog balls.

Text me back if I can be of any help.

Chris

Chris, I got your text and much appreciate that and your reply here. I gotta tell you the " stick out like dog balls" thing brought a laughing tear to my eyes!

:):):)

craigs69 12-10-2016 03:42 PM

I sure hate to see that. My condolences. I hope the repairs go well for you.

bob d 12-10-2016 05:29 PM

wrecked

I feel your pain. when I built my 32 highboy I got rear ended. I got out of my rod and said to the guy do you know what you just did. he said it's only a car. I wanted to finish him off. thanks bob.

flamedabone 12-10-2016 05:42 PM

Guess what you get for Christmas?? A new quarter panel and door skin.

Sorry for your loss. -Abone.

Deadhead 12-10-2016 05:58 PM

Damn buddy. You hate to see that. I bet everybody in your household was sick too. Take your time putting it in the shop. It still runs and drives. An old mechanic friend, who loved his cars, once said to me, "Well it looks good to YOU when your ridin' down the road at 55 MPH Starin' out the windshield".

Here's to a speedy recovery! Something good is bound to come of it.

PMD1969 12-10-2016 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Jones (Post 5667215)
It was a sheepish grin. Seemed to be a good guy. He knew what he'd done....after he asked me if I was ok he asked if it was a 68 or 69. He was insured and I've got Hagerty.

Best case.

David,

In any case it's good that YOU are ok. What you have just gone through is what scares the bujeejus out of me. My car isn't perfect BUT it has never been in an accident. The two rear quarters were "pressed" in many years ago. One where my sister back into a car and the other where she was letting a boyfriend drive it and he did the same. In both cases the original metal is still there but it has some very old school bondo and paint that the shop did a great job of covering up. You have to get down and really look at it to notice the damage.

Around here we have soccer mommy hell. They are on the phone texting, beating their children while driving, putting on make up on the highway and riding others people bumpers and trading paint. I rarely if ever take my car out and even then I do it when there are no mommies around.

Find an awesome shop to get your car repaired as I said "perfectly" because after all it is a "show car" ;)

AdamIsAdam 12-10-2016 06:03 PM

Hagerty is great. And hopefully you'll get all those details fixed and make it better than before. That's what happened to me. And again, Hagerty is great.

"Dog balls." LOL

72projectbird 12-10-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Boss (Post 5667222)
On the bright side, you can now get every ding taken care of and a full paint job too since only painting the two panels will stick out like dog balls.

X2

My Dads Camaro got messed up last fall, and he ended up getting the entire car repainted because of it. He is also insured through Hagerty, and it couldn't have been easier! They sent out an adjuster, basically asked him what he wanted done to the car, then said pick whatever body shop you like.

He ended up going to a high end shop, and Hagerty picked up the check.

AdamIsAdam 12-10-2016 06:54 PM

I personally think Hagerty finds it easier to just write a check and step away from the job rather than stick around while the body shop opens that can of worms we call classic cars.

Half-Inch Stud 12-10-2016 08:18 PM

Maybe the whole car gets matching paint, but don't redo the endura?

indymanjoe 12-10-2016 08:50 PM

Glad you are OK

sdbob 12-10-2016 09:26 PM

Sh...t. I'm scared everyday with the people out there.Hope it turns out well,back to original.

GT182 12-10-2016 09:36 PM

David, like everyone else I'm glad YOU are ok. The car can be fixed... as painful as that thought is. Hagerty will do ok for you, the guy admitted he was wrong. Just make sure you are the one telling the shop what to do not the insurance companies. Stand your ground and make sure it's done right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdbob (Post 5667373)
Sh...t. I'm scared everyday with the people out there.

You are not alone with that statement Bob. I feel the same way every time I take mine out here in Delaware, and travel up into PA too.

Jim Doran 12-10-2016 10:00 PM

David, sorry to see this happen. These complications are a real PITA.

On the 'selfish' plus side, I'm sure many of us will get to enjoy the journey of your repair as you do a great job in documenting all the ups and downs you encounter.

GOAT WHORE 12-10-2016 10:01 PM

Damn Man, so sorry to see this! I hope your car ends up being as good or better then it was before this. I seriously feel for you.

The Boss 12-11-2016 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdbob (Post 5667373)
Sh...t. I'm scared everyday with the people out there.Hope it turns out well,back to original.

That is the ****ing truth! Every ****ing day there is someone so close to the rear bumper of my truck that I can't see the bottom of their windshield!

Sandra & I were heading out to dinner last Saturday night & we had pulled out onto Route 34 here heading into town. Within moments some Mom in a minivan was on our ***. I had left a few car lengths between the car in front of us and was slowing as they did when they put their turn signal on to turn left when I realized the mini van was now PASSING us and had to lock up their brakes as the other car started their turn. All three of us came to a complete stop and after a few choice words by the car in front of me to the one now next to me, I let them pass and go on their way. BTW, she did have a phone in her hand!

Glad you are okay David, and like Jim said, thanks for sharing this with us. ;)

sdbob 12-11-2016 08:44 AM

I have 2500 GMC w cap. I was in si gle lane construction zone doing 45 speed limit. I had a loaded triaxle mack behind me that I could not see his bumper. I know the co. and #. Sometimes we talk at work about this and the different people that try to push you.Its every time in driving.

thepontiacman 12-11-2016 09:12 AM

sorry to hear about the wreck. Hope you get it fixed soon. Getting Cold here now.

Lots of drivers around that don't pay attention or know how to drive. Watch out.

David Jones 12-11-2016 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys.

It's still wrecked this morning......

I've never had much picture posting luck from my phone....this is a test.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...1&d=1481463974

Half-Inch Stud 12-11-2016 09:55 AM

Geez, that angle reveals the damage extent.

AdamIsAdam 12-11-2016 09:56 AM

Ouch. Didn't notice the damage to the back part of the quarter before. Is there wheel damage? Or suspension?

Sucks. Please do start a thread to document this repair.

David Jones 12-11-2016 10:09 AM

The "Coke bottle" shape is mashed out of the qtr and the tire gets the qtr lip on bumps. There is a scuff on the tire but no contact with the wheel, that I can see. The tire scuff is minor. You've really got to look to see it.

I will either add to this thread or start a new one with how this goes. I've got a few more pictures and will call Hagerty on Monday.

AdamIsAdam 12-11-2016 10:18 AM

Hagerty is open 12-4 today.

Deadhead 12-11-2016 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=David Jones;5667496]Thanks guys.

It's still wrecked this morning......

/QUOTE]

Yeah. You are out of luck. The elves are busy elsewhere this time of year.

Now you can really thrash on it, doing some fine RH Brodies and the like & not have to worry about dinging it. An imperfect car can be quite liberating. Get busy man!

AROWHED 12-11-2016 11:18 AM

That certainly does suck, but it's not wrecked. We all know driving on public roads nowadays is probably the riskiest it's ever been, by the sheer number of cars on the road, and by distracted drivers. All the modern electronic safety equipment still cannot account for lack of common sense in driving. My 65 GP was totaled this past August in a combination accident initiated by an 18 girl following her GPS commands a little too literally, and by a tailgater behind me, out on a county highway less than a mile from my home.

400 4spd. 12-11-2016 12:35 PM

It sure looks worse from the rear angle shot. The outer wheel housing is bent pretty badly, probably shows it from inside the trunk.
If you don't know yet where you want to take it, ask your Hagerty rep. for any suggestions for your area. They started putting together names of shops that meet their criteria. I am on the list for my region, so they probably have a similar list for yours.
Good luck!

Old Goat Racer 12-11-2016 01:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The summer of 85, rush hour, construction zone, 2 lanes down to one. He decided to switch lanes CRASH. His Ins. co. totaled the car $4000. I parted the car out made a couple $$$$ more. Then bought my 78 TA which I still have.
Things happen for a reason.

And I still have the trunk lid.

Simple Man 12-11-2016 06:38 PM

Sorry for your loss!

I know you have Haggerty, but shouldn't the other drivers insurance pay for this?

Greg Reid 12-11-2016 06:49 PM

Wow...HATE to see this David!
Get something out of it for your trouble...like the Verdoro Green paint job of your dreams. Maybe you could insist on sending it to Barr's Restorations. I hear they're pretty good. ;)

AdamIsAdam 12-11-2016 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Man (Post 5667689)
Sorry for your loss!

I know you have Haggerty, but shouldn't the other drivers insurance pay for this?

Hagerty will first pay its insured and then subrogate behind the scenes to recoup their money.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Goat Racer (Post 5667569)
The summer of 85, rush hour, construction zone, 2 lanes down to one. He decided to switch lanes CRASH. His Ins. co. totaled the car $4000. I parted the car out made a couple $$$$ more. Then bought my 78 TA which I still have.
Things happen for a reason.

And I still have the trunk lid.

David Jones 12-11-2016 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Honestly, picking a shop to fix it is going to be interesting.

As far as the other guy's insurance fixing it, I believe Im going to call Hagerty and let them take care of making sure the other guy's insurance takes care of it.

This was about 2 minutes after the wreck. I took it then called my wife and the phone battery promptly died.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...1&d=1481497791

Greg Reid 12-11-2016 07:20 PM

Honestly, although it sucks, that could have been much worse. Looks very fixable to my untrained eye.

Tripower455 12-11-2016 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Reid (Post 5667696)
Wow...HATE to see this David!
Get something out of it for your trouble...like the Verdoro Green paint job of your dreams. Maybe you could insist on sending it to Barr's Restorations. I hear they're pretty good. ;)

That would be a great choice! They did my '66 about 12 years ago, plus they're local to me.

This BS is THE reason I hardly drive my GTO anymore. NOBODY pays attention to the road these days, and I get home more stressed out than before I left.

wovenweb 12-11-2016 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple Man (Post 5667689)
Sorry for your loss!

Hagerty will go after the other insurer for the money. The process is known as subrogation.

geeteeohguy 12-11-2016 08:22 PM

Sorry to see this, but it's totally fixable by a competent body man and there will be no need to get rid of the original sheet metal. I've seen worse pulled and metal finished back to perfection. Good luck with the repairs....just another reality for those of us who actually drive our classic cars, and not a deal-breaker. It'll turn out alright.

Verdoro 68 12-12-2016 02:21 AM

Dang, sorry to see this. Looks very repairable, but I'm sure that doesn't take the sting out of it. Looking forward to seeing it back on the road in better shape than ever.

David Jones 12-12-2016 08:10 AM

I'll call Hagerty this morning. Pleasant Grove's PD says the report probably won't be ready until tomorrow (Tuesday).

I'm curious. The rear qtr looks like toast to my eye. It's creased up pretty badly and pushed in 3-4 inches. Basically the whole driver side will need paint. What happens when the damage repair runs into other, already there before the wreck, body issues? I know that there are rust issues under the vinyl roof. If the vinyl roof has to come off and it turns out that repair work is needed before that can be replaced, who eats the roof rust repair? If the whole car needs to be painted who eats making the rest of the body ready for paint....there are small rust issues here and there.
I am not looking for a trailer queen when it gets back from body shop hell.
Lots of questions.......

dataway 12-12-2016 09:04 AM

You know what I have seen happen to many nice, stand out car on the street. "Target Fixation" ... the car catches the attention of someone driving near by, they look at it, and they drive into it. Very, very common phenomena that is rarely taught in street driving training these days, but is included in every race driving course you will ever take. Very hard habit to break, even for experienced drivers. Something visual momentarily breaks your focus and your fixate on that object and often steer right into it. Watched it happen many times in motorcycle road races. A small object will be on the track surface, and half the riders will hit it even though they have an entire width of track to ride around it. How do they teach you to avoid this ..... by not looking directly at the object. It's about the only way to prevent it.

dhcarguy 12-12-2016 10:29 AM

I could care less what the person behind me is doing...I always know what is around me. I DO care about the a$$hole in front of me