PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac Business Entities Exchange (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=469)
-   -   Reputable Pontiac Engine Builders (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571148)

zeebo 08-15-2008 12:45 AM

Reputable Pontiac Engine Builders

ok fellas..been reading your posts on here about all the bad guys in the business, now id like to see a post of the guys that build stock/hi po pontiac engines that you have had personal dealings with and had great results..id like this post to be a place where guys can get non-biased info to make a decision as to where to spend serious money and know that they are not getting hosed. personally, i have not had a motor prefessionally built, have done a few stock ones, just for daily drivers, and know (kind of) the type of thought, planning and cleanliness that goes into a rebuild..all the little pieces, bolts, etc that others seem to "misplace" i took the time to bag and label..THIS is what im asking for in a professional builder where im gonna have to drop 7-10K or more for a street motor. so, if you know of a good machine shop/builder for pontiac motors that you have first hand knowledge of..please post! thanks! zeebo

wmhjr 08-15-2008 07:09 AM

Though I don't have my new engine yet, I've spent more than enough time working with the gentleman who is doing my new one. Based on all the time, discussion, feedback and experience I've got already I'd say Dave Hillard in OH should be on the list. That is, so long as ne doesn't start on yours until mine is done :)

sal70lemans 08-15-2008 08:12 AM

ebay ID: autobohnengines/Phone 616 897 7679

I'm curious about this guy that sells Pontiac motors, etc. on ebay (claims 25+ years experience). Located in Grand Rapids, MI - which is reasonably local to me. Anyone know anything about them? I've debated calling them, but I have zero knowledge about engine building and wouldn't have a clue whether someone is full of BS or not.

Scott

Jagtec1 08-15-2008 08:22 AM

Paul Spotts, great guy, great builder!!

www.spottsperformance.com

mviker 08-15-2008 09:13 AM

The motor in my 62 GP was done by Jim Lehart at Central Virginia Machine Service. Jim listened to what I was looking for and met EVERY expectation. I've since put around 3000 miles on the car with no problems whatsoever. Jim's a great guy, and knows Pontiac motors inside-out. I'd go to him again in a heartbeat!
By the way, Jim can build you an engine anywhere from mild to wild. :o

http://www.centralvirginiamachine.com/

66 TigerGold 08-15-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagtec1 (Post 3385528)

Ditto! Can't agree more!

DOC 08-16-2008 01:22 PM

I'll second Jim Lehart at CVMS. I was just there yesterday and I have had 2 separate sets of heads done by him and couldnt have been any more pleased. Not only does he do the quality work we are all after, he takes the time to answer any techincal question you have.

I will continue using Jim for all of my engine needs.

Doc

67blackcherry 08-17-2008 12:45 PM

Southern California builders

Of course, there's
Pacific Performance Racing - Ken "Ace" Brewer is THE MAN

Then there's my neighbors
Taylor Engine - Whittier CA - one of the oldest machine shops in So Cal, same owner since the early/mid 70's, GREAT bunch of guys

Hope this helps!

428PHIL 08-20-2008 08:46 AM

Paul Spotts located in Hatfield PA. Did my 464 a couple of years ago. Motor keeps getting stronger everytime out. Wouldn't hesitate to use Paul.

r00a005 08-22-2008 01:56 PM

Ditto ditto to Paul Spotts !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtec1

Ditto! Can't agree more!

SJMule 08-23-2008 09:57 PM

I can't let this post go without giving our own Ken Keefer a shout out.

"Keefer Built".....Has a ring to it,no?

Have him put some reliable southern comfort under your hood.

Mule

ks gto (Cap) 08-25-2008 12:09 AM

If you're confined to the Central part of the country--Tom Wilhite of Derby, Ks. I can vouch for his engine building talents. Cap

zeebo 08-25-2008 02:12 AM

thanks guys for posting! actually cap, im in the metro detroit area..tho i will ship parts..it would be nice tho to be able to meet and visit the shop etc..and drop parts off...any good michigan pontiac builders?

CaptCrunch 08-25-2008 08:02 AM

Butler's did mine.........great people...........

http://www.butlerperformance.com/

spartazoo 08-26-2008 10:46 AM

Call R&B Total Performance in Niles. They did the engine for my 63 Tempest and it runs great and they listen to what you want to do. They will make suggestions based on their experiences. Talk to Roger.

Kip

GONEHAWKN 08-27-2008 03:41 PM

what about

Rock and Roll Engineering?? i noticed on their site they have complete 400's available assembled and dyno'd for $3500.00........just a thought......

TheMonkey 08-27-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GONEHAWKN (Post 3397467)
Rock and Roll Engineering?? i noticed on their site they have complete 400's available assembled and dyno'd for $3500.00........just a thought......

:popcorn:

Overkillphil 08-27-2008 05:07 PM

OH Boy! Here we go again! :eek:

Brandi Kay 08-27-2008 06:43 PM

STAY AWAY FROM ROCK AND ROLL Engineering!

Ken "Pdude" Keefer built my 455.

GONEHAWKN 08-27-2008 08:49 PM

UH OH...

did the new guy to the board open up a can of worms?? or in this case a can of whoop A** for myself.....???? i build my own stuff and know nothing about the guy except that the price seems pretty good.....now back to your regularly scheduled posting.......

gene simmons 08-27-2008 09:03 PM

Dan Jensen is in Michigan, he is involved with the Pure Stock muscle Car Drags.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...ensen_t37.html,

http://www.purestockdrags.com/contact.html Phone listing for Dan Jensen and Bob Boden

Overkillphil 08-27-2008 10:20 PM

Welcome new guy!

68 Goat 08-28-2008 12:33 AM

Jim Lehart at Central Virginia Machine Service gets my vote. I was stationed in England when he helped me build my last motor in my 68 GTO. He'll be building my motor for my 69 GTO. Straight foward. No B/S. Sells you only what you need to make your goals happen! I have never had the chance to speak with him face to face, but I still consider him a good friend.

GONEHAWKN 08-28-2008 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkillphil (Post 3397824)
Welcome new guy!

THANKS....i think.....:o

zeebo 08-28-2008 03:49 PM

yeah, i think i will get in contact with dan jensen and paul spotts as i have heard nothing but good from many pontiac guys, inside and outside this forum..ill keep ya posted if i run into any other guys in my travels..but thanks to all! zeebo

showgoat67 09-06-2008 04:00 AM

Jack Gaydosh builds all my engines.And he is part of this site.

GTO JOHN 09-13-2008 07:46 PM

PY member Bill Meyer has built two engines for me so far. (I have a 3rd ready to go when he is)

First one was a 389 3x2 that went into my 66 GTO sedan. Still finishing that restoration but the motor tested real nice.

Second engine is the killer 461 stroker in my black 69 GTO. E-heads with lots of special touches that Bill did himself. I pretty much let him built whatever he wanted after he found out how i planned to use the car. I'm very happy with the results as this car flys!

Bill has a long waiting list because he is only one guy and real good at what he does. Something you want to look for in a builder of your own. Solo guy with a wait list. Kinda like a full parking lot at a restraunt. It tells you if it's good before you even go inside.

TheMonkey 09-13-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO JOHN (Post 3415463)
PY member Bill Meyer has built two engines for me so far....

Doesn't Bill work out of Jax? That's where I had mine done.

Bill Meyer 09-14-2008 12:27 PM

-John - Thanks for the kind words
- Monkey - I have my machine work done @ Jax. Occasionnaly, I help out when he gets busy, or I just want to work on the Pontiac stuff myself.
Jack has been a real mentor to me, using his 40+ years of engine building, and his love of Pontiacs. to help me out. His knowledge is priceless!!! Bill

zeebo 11-24-2008 10:09 PM

thanks guys, yeah, i always have felt it is good to see the shop and talk to the builder and such..there are a few in michigan..dan jensen i would like to talk to, and i have seen autobahn engines for sale on ebay and they are in grand rapids..not super far from metro detroit..i do want to give a plug to cliff ruggles for all his support and knowledge..this guy talked to me for over an hour about my carbs, and the ventura that he races..what a stand up guy!! i buy all my q-jet stuff from him as he has the best parts (and hard to find parts) around! got stuck with cheap off the shelf accelerator pumps..the ones he sent me cured my off-idle probs instantly! thanks again fellas..and if you wish to add more engine builders, feel free to do so!

Scruffy55 11-26-2008 04:36 PM

I am just gonna add one more good guy to the list, Dave at SD Performance, everyone that has dealt with him is happy to my knowledge.

1963gp 11-27-2008 12:30 PM

engine builders

Having been shafted by a so called reputable engine builder Jim Taylor in New Jersey to the tune of 12K. Not honoring warranty and boring a block 100 thousands over. I was stuck holding the bag. It was hard for me trust to engine builders. A local machine shop had to sleeve all 8 cylinders and I got it back together. However I was still having issues so last year upon recommendation I sent my engine to Jack Gaydosh who completely went through the 421 now sporting ported KRE d ports and forged crank. I have massive smiles on my face with a 4400 lb 63 Grand Prix running low 12's and streetable with a/c. and no issues. I had velcro and wing nuts holding my engine in before. Jack is reasonable honest, very detailed and brilliant in setting up engines. He is always available to answer my questions and takes a personal interest in the engines he builds. There is no b/s from Jack. He has no one but himself assembling the engines so you know you have a real expert working on your engine. :jumping:Allen

lemans411 11-27-2008 01:09 PM

i second sd performance great guys to work with . also cant forget all pontiac they built me a second shortblock after ups lost my first one and sent it out i believe even before their claim was settled . good guys and great parts

just my .02

60man 11-27-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemans411 (Post 3491088)
i second sd performance great guys to work with . also cant forget all pontiac they built me a second shortblock after ups lost my first one and sent it out i believe even before their claim was settled . good guys and great parts

just my .02

How in Heaven do you LOOSE a short block !!??
Gheez!!!

Yes...Frank & Bob/AllPontiac.com are great guys and products are top shelf..
Just check out my signature car...
Jack Gaydosh even set up the dyno session and took care of everything...
Believe Jack has built 3 motors for me now and working on a 4th one..
Like 1963GP said....Jack's always eager to help!!

65gto69 11-27-2008 07:17 PM

My vote goes to Jack Gaydosh also.

Definitely no B.S., builds a great motor, and takes pride in his workmanship and helping you get the most out of your motor.

Mark

440GP69 11-27-2008 10:01 PM

Paul Carter out of AZ, One of The Greatest Machinest We have, known as GTOFreak on PY, SD-Performance Big Time, Those Guys have Helped me wayyy beyond whats expected of an engine Builder, Also Check out the Hilliards, KSM Another big help!, AP also Builds Some very fast engines an is great to deal with, Ace "PPR" in Cali is Great, Len Caverly from EMC Fame, Spotts is Real Good, Jim Lehart from CVMS Just Built The engine for the Fastest Pontiac Powered car in the world, Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents, Can't go wrong with any of the above

lemans411 11-27-2008 11:42 PM

[QUOTE=60man;3491158]How in Heaven do you LOOSE a short block !!??
Gheez!!!QUOTE]

yeah i dont know how you do that but it was lost for a few months then it just turned up one day i guess . all beat up and nasty looking .

60man 11-28-2008 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=lemans411;3491472]
Quote:

Originally Posted by 60man (Post 3491158)
How in Heaven do you LOOSE a short block !!??
Gheez!!!QUOTE]

yeah i dont know how you do that but it was lost for a few months then it just turned up one day i guess . all beat up and nasty looking .

Damn....must have been accidently dropped at a Cheby shop !!:D
Really ...that sux.:(
I mean....UPS has this computer system to track items.???

John Bailey (GTOKID) 11-28-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by showgoat67 (Post 3406803)
Jack Gaydosh builds all my engines.And he is part of this site.

Jack Is good, as well as Butler and Pontiac Dude. BES does the High end stuff. Lots of great Choices and Great Parts! Motors are just parts...the Best builders can and do build any type of engine.

zeebo 11-29-2008 01:37 AM

thanks a ton guys..ill be im'ing some of you in the near future as i need a set of heads done up. i will keep these people in mind..any chance of getting this post "stickied'? thanks and keep em coming!!

CaptCrunch 11-29-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeebo (Post 3492287)
thanks a ton guys..ill be im'ing some of you in the near future as i need a set of heads done up. i will keep these people in mind..any chance of getting this post "stickied'? thanks and keep em coming!!

I dont know how many more you need, but I just went through this. My advise it to call them and talk to them and see how you feel after that. I talked to a bunch on the phone and it made my choice much easier. Most of these guys can probably build you a fine engine but taking the time to talk to you about what you want and can afford along with what parts fit your exact application best will result in an engine that you will most likey be happier with.

zeebo 11-29-2008 09:28 PM

any contact info for jack gaydosh?

tdavidl 11-29-2008 09:33 PM

http://www.gaydoshperformance.com/about.html

beemergary 11-29-2008 09:44 PM

I'll put my vote for Dave Hillard. Quality work at a reasonable price. Its like your best friend is building your engine.

Noel Drach 11-30-2008 05:33 AM

Glasgo & Co

Glasgo & Co. Look at how their cars run in the pure stock drags.I wouldn't call any one else.In Akron OH.

02Hawk 11-30-2008 01:58 PM

I have to put in a word for Dave and Marcel at SD Performance. Great work at competative prices, knowledgeable, etc. Dave learned by working for Pete McCarthy and has improved on cylinder porting by bringing modern technology and knowhow to our hobby. They will always have my business.

iceman411 12-02-2008 12:45 PM

I had Bob Bohn at Autobohn prep my block for me. He's a tool maker and is VERY fussy-down to the tenth's. I had him hone my already .040 bored 455 block, skin the caps and line-hone the mains and preform a deck clean-up .006" each side. This was after it was baked, blasted and magged. Price....$800.00...EVERYTHING was right on spec-to the tenth!! Bought rotator assy from KRE, Ross 450 gram pistons, 6.8" rod and a cast eagle crank along with a custom comp solid roller cam and lifters and a stug girdle for the KRE ported E-heads I already had. This thing snapped together soooo easy, I almost cried!! Great runner that never went over 185° in traffic on a 90° day and ran low 11's @ 119 in a 3900lbs 69 GTO. I'd have Bob prep another block(on the way) for me. I've also had GREAT dealings with Kauffman. Plan to add about 140 more horse to this thing with some head porting and a larger cam to go with my new Dominator set-up to run in the pinks all-out race in Martin Mi this coming summer and want it to run low 10's for the thrill(camera) factor. Another name I HIGHLY recommend used to be in my neck of the woods, and is now in Arizona. I think of him as the "Godfather" of the Pontiac engine.....Marty Palbykin. Every one listed before is great(except R&RE), yet Marty has done things I've never imagined and pulled it off with style. I remember it was 1994, and on a cold winter night I witnessed a dyno pull at Tom Earhardt's place with a 670 iron headed 406 with electronic fuel injection and a pair of turbo's crank 1,740 horse or so on alcohol and we all gasped for breath....Talk about uncharted territory. NOBODY was doing THAT back then....O'l Mart just sat back and smiled.... He DA MAN!!!

zeebo 12-03-2008 02:29 AM

hi iceman..yeah, speaking of autobohn, they have a few motors listed on ebay which i have some interest in...especially the 521 stroker that makes 670ft lbs torque on pump gas! ill be talking to bob as well! thanks zeebo

zeebo 12-03-2008 02:37 AM

i have another question..you guys know of anyone who does dyno tuning in michigan? not testing, TUNING...someone that actually re-jets and re-curves your dist to get the most out of a motor....????

69gp400 12-03-2008 05:45 PM

john glasgo gets my vote