PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Value of 62 Catalina conv. (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842872)

tjs72lemans 07-30-2020 08:36 PM

Value of 62 Catalina conv.

I had a friend call me tonight asking what the value is on a 62 Catalina convertible. A neighbor of his is 80 and her hubby died. It was his car. Mostly original with V8, auto, AC, power top. Some rust in rocker. Paint is ok. Interior needs cleaning, but decent. She pulled it out of her garage and put a car cover on and wants to sell it. He knows I'm a car guy and may know better than him of value. I (like you) haven't seen it, but may even be interested. Any ballpark idea of value? I was thinking being a vert and decent shape and runs, $5000.

nikrnic 07-30-2020 09:09 PM

It's hopefully not been sitting for a long time which could mean there's a lot that may be needed. Drain gas tank, possible stuck valve which could mean a valve job. Just saying because that happened to me and led to a lot more spent then I imagined. 5k does sound fair going in and until you know exactly what its really all about. You did say she pulled it out of the garage so hopefully it was driven or at least started once in awhile. 62 Cat Conv. W/AC sounds like a nice ride. Good Luck..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

tom s 07-30-2020 09:15 PM

How does it compare to this?
http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/pon...-survivor.html

Chief of the 60's 07-30-2020 10:07 PM

'61 and '62 were notorious for rot, especially the frame. Before any value can be placed, besides the obvious of a visual, the frame must be checked. That alone can make the difference between the price of the car as a good driver, or the price of a good parts car.

mgarblik 07-31-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom s (Post 6165710)

Your example with the price of 16K seems to be right on market IMO. Just a little side note. Hagerty agent called me and suggested I lower the value of my car 5K for my renewal. He said the market for full size of this vintage continues to drop and I tend to believe him based on auction actual sold cars. I declined to lower my value because I am in the middle of some upgrades. But my premium went up a little to reflect the difference between stated value and what they consider the real value. As mentioned, the car you are considering needs to have a careful inspection and evaluation before any meaningful value can be attached to it. These full size cars cost a fortune to restore if that's the goal. Very limited aftermarket support for the body, trim, and interior.

tom s 07-31-2020 10:41 AM

The telling story IMO is the trunk pan.The rear window leaks,water gets trapped under the trunk mat and rust the floor and rear frame mounts out from the inside out.Rockers and front fenders are EZ to see.Most never lift the trunk mat.My 62 GP is on the OPGI current GP catalog.Tom

tjs72lemans 07-31-2020 11:21 AM

Thanks for everyone's input. I may look at the car today or tomorrow. I assume the frame rot issue would be at the front behind the front tire area like an A body?

tom s 07-31-2020 12:22 PM

Be sure to check the trunk pan as I said!If it has holes than you really need to look at the rear frame rails and mount.Tom

mgarblik 07-31-2020 12:44 PM

As Tom mentioned, I have found the worst frame areas on these cars to be where the rear spring seats attach and the trunk area attaches to the frame. Look through the rear wheel well above the tires.

389 07-31-2020 04:13 PM

Check the frame right in front of the rear wheels... Five grand would be nice for that.. I haven't rebuilt a Slim Jim in awhile... I'm one of those people who actually like that transmission but you have to learn how to rebuild them. They are a lot of fun once you understand what's going on when the tranny is in first gear and learn how to hold second (or let the clutch out haha)...

Chief of the 60's 07-31-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 389 (Post 6165958)
Check the frame right in front of the rear wheels...…

Not just there. Behind the front wheels and the side rails as well. I had one once where the whole frame was nice except for about 2 feet of the right side rail. It was an easy fix but it was rotted from the inside out.