PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   68-69 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   1969 GTO vacuum power lock switch. (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853097)

SD Formula 09-07-2021 12:32 PM

1969 GTO vacuum power lock switch.

1 Attachment(s)
Does this look like a correct 1969 GTO vacuum power lock switch?

'ol Pinion head 09-07-2021 01:15 PM

No, the casting should stick out further & have rounded corners.

SD Formula 09-07-2021 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a better view of the switch, showing the corners and the thickness, which is slightly over a quarter inch.
Do you happen to have a photo of a correct vacuum lock switch?
Thanks for your input.

Ben M. 09-07-2021 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can see one at the attached photo in this '69 Lemans.

SD Formula 09-07-2021 04:45 PM

That looks exactly like the 1970 electric power lock switch used on the GM A body cars.
Is that a vacuum switch? Or has the electric option been added or the vacuum locks, or converted to electric locks?
I'm assuming a 69 Lemans would have had vacuum operator door locks, Correct?
Thanks

SD Formula 09-07-2021 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, I think I finally got it, DUH! Just like these electric PW window buttons, except vacuum operated.
I'm guessing they are hard to find!
Thanks!

SD Formula 09-07-2021 05:04 PM

& they say LOCK on them.

'ol Pinion head 09-07-2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Formula (Post 6278250)
OK, I think I finally got it, DUH! Just like these electric PW window buttons, except vacuum operated.
I'm guessing they are hard to find!
Thanks!

Will ck the Rubbermaid parts tub of original switches

what you have is from a Caddy.

Ben M. 09-07-2021 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head (Post 6278254)
what you have is from a Caddy.

Agreed. I didn't want to post before confirming, but I've seen those super flat power lock switches in mid 1960s Olds and Cadillac cars before.

'ol Pinion head 09-07-2021 07:06 PM

Hmmmm.
Just confirming there are not two styles of the curved edge "domed step" style.

that means dial a friend, GTOAA interior Guru & all around recent Internet sensation ;)

SD Formula 09-08-2021 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, The one I showed in the previous post is from a 1961 Cadillac, I marked it when I pulled it years ago.
To further clarify, of the dozens of power lock switches both electric and vacuum, I've never seen this style switch with a vacuum setup. Only electric.
If you have one that is vacuum, I'd like to see a photo of it.
Thanks

68gtoMN 09-08-2021 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head (Post 6278285)
Hmmmm.
Just confirming there are not two styles of the curved edge "domed step" style.

that means dial a friend, GTOAA interior Guru & all around recent Internet sensation ;)

Roger, are you speaking of that one guy near me? :-o

SD Formula 09-08-2021 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is, plain as day, in my 1969 Pontiac owners manual.
I should have looked here first!

'ol Pinion head 09-08-2021 11:36 AM

That is correct, years ago sold two complete vac lock setups with this style of switches. Not something I run across anymore even in monster country yards.

Do have a nice used pair of correct switches & can get you pics. Feel free & PM a number to text pics.

SD Formula 09-08-2021 12:37 PM

Thanks, PM Sent.

north 09-08-2021 06:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple cars with factory 69 power locks. They were vacuum on all 69 pontiacs (last year for vacuum). 69 was the first year power locks were offered on A bodies (maybe because the new A body based GP needed to offer them, justifying the engineering of the system for A body doors).

It is the same style as the electric window switches but it says lock in black fill paint and they are taller. The power window switches are square (same height as width) but the power window switches are noticeably taller. Also worth noting is that unlike power window switches the power lock switches have a left and right version of the switch.

First picture is from a 69 Catalina, the green GTO is Fremont built which had the switch mounted lower (i've had or parted 4 power lock 69's from Fremont), the GTO with the white interior is a Baltimore car, and they seem to have the locks mounted higher and more forward.

If you look at factory A body door panels they do not have perforations or indentations for the power lock switch but the do have them for electric windows and remote mirror. Fullsize car door panels do have the perforations. I guess it was due to super low demand for the option on A bodies.

all the above was negated if you ordered a Bonneville or Grand Prix with power windows and locks. Then you got armrest extensions with a bezel that housed both sets of switches. However if you ordered those two models with power locks but not windows you'd get the panel mounted switch like on the cheaper models.

A Schab 09-08-2021 07:33 PM

I may still have a pair of switches from a 1969 Impala that I parted years ago. Same part.

SD Formula 09-08-2021 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by north (Post 6278462)
Here are a couple cars with factory 69 power locks. They were vacuum on all 69 pontiacs (last year for vacuum). 69 was the first year power locks were offered on A bodies (maybe because the new A body based GP needed to offer them, justifying the engineering of the system for A body doors).

It is the same style as the electric window switches but it says lock in black fill paint and they are taller. The power window switches are square (same height as width) but the power window switches are noticeably taller. Also worth noting is that unlike power window switches the power lock switches have a left and right version of the switch.

First picture is from a 69 Catalina, the green GTO is Fremont built which had the switch mounted lower (i've had or parted 4 power lock 69's from Fremont), the GTO with the white interior is a Baltimore car, and they seem to have the locks mounted higher and more forward.

If you look at factory A body door panels they do not have perforations or indentations for the power lock switch but the do have them for electric windows and remote mirror. Fullsize car door panels do have the perforations. I guess it was due to super low demand for the option on A bodies.

all the above was negated if you ordered a Bonneville or Grand Prix with power windows and locks. Then you got armrest extensions with a bezel that housed both sets of switches. However if you ordered those two models with power locks but not windows you'd get the panel mounted switch like on the cheaper models.

North, With this post, you have at least quadruple the amount of information on vacuum locks, Thank you so much!
Years ago I pulled a set of 1970 electric power locks from a Skylark. Everything was complete except somebody had gotten to the switches before me! I wanted to have power locks on my GTO but really did not want anything to do with vacuum power locks.
So when I install the locks I just lined up the switch with a smaller hole in the GTO door and use that as a reference, it was a reproduction door panel, But I don't recall if there was any perforated area on the back of the panel. I noticed in one of your pictures that the lock switch is several inches farther back, it must have been installed through the larger hole in the door sheet metal.
I noticed that 1970+ reproduction electric power lock switches are available. Do you know If they are exactly the same size and shape as 1969 vacuum switches were?

'ol Pinion head 09-08-2021 07:52 PM

SD, missed receiving a PM. Can text you pics of correct switches I have.
Thx, Roger

north 09-08-2021 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Even though the two GTO switches in the photos above aren't in the same exact place the both fall into that large hole in the inner door frame. the 70 plus power locks mimic the size and shape of the 70+ power window switches (which were redesigned in a more angular shape). Therefore the 70 electric lock switch is too small to fill the much taller 69 vacuum lock switch opening.