PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Body Shop TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Floor Insulation (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853716)

JSchmitz 10-05-2021 06:57 AM

Floor Insulation

I'm going down the rabbit hole on my car again. LOL! Converting to LS engine. Rewiring whole car, etc. My floor is in very good shape. Has some minor rust that needs cleaned up. Also pulled the old nasty insulation off of the inside of the firewall. Going to insulate with the stuff linked below. I used it in my K5 Blazer. Good stuff that's reasonably priced. But I got to thinking about the heater box. It has no insulation at all. Even with the heater closed off, it has to be radiating a lot of heat into the cabin. Anyone insulate their heater box? Not sure if that foil face insulation would be good inside the heater box. Thoughts?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/E-O-12-i...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

webfoot 10-12-2021 11:04 PM

I don’t think it radiates that much heat. I’d be afraid of the insulation falling off and jamming things up, especially when repeatedly being around 200 degree air.

The metal in your roof and body is likely a far greater heat source than the heater case.

JSchmitz 10-13-2021 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webfoot (Post 6286688)
I don’t think it radiates that much heat. I’d be afraid of the insulation falling off and jamming things up, especially when repeatedly being around 200 degree air.

The metal in your roof and body is likely a far greater heat source than the heater case.

I was thinking about spraying it with Lizard Skin or something. Definitely won't put any stick on stuff in the heater box.

The roof and body aren't 200F though. I will be doing the floor pan. The transmission and exhaust radiate a lot of heat into the floor.

dataway 10-13-2021 06:48 AM

I'm at the same point ... Looking for something that has a good mix of insulation properties and sound deadening ... I'm sure technology has come a long ways in that regard in the last 50 years. Can't decide between the super dense type stuff, or the lighter stuff that insulates better.

In general I lean towards better insulation, the car is stock so not a lot of exhaust noise, and it has AC so I'd rather live with a little more noise, less heat if there is an option.

JSchmitz 10-13-2021 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataway (Post 6286718)
I'm at the same point ... Looking for something that has a good mix of insulation properties and sound deadening ... I'm sure technology has come a long ways in that regard in the last 50 years. Can't decide between the super dense type stuff, or the lighter stuff that insulates better.

In general I lean towards better insulation, the car is stock so not a lot of exhaust noise, and it has AC so I'd rather live with a little more noise, less heat if there is an option.

I really like the Frost King stuff for value and function. The Liard Skin is tempting. But they have two coatings for insulation or sound deadening. Not that I'd ever be tearing the flooring out. But I'm not wild about the permanence of the spray coating. who knows what crazy $h!t I might want to do in the future. I think I will try some in the heater box though.

I'm still going down the rabbit hole on my car right now. Goes something like this so far, 1) 455 block cracked 2) Convert to LS engine 3) Might as well rewire the car 4) Might as well patch firewall holes and repaint dash 5) Might as well remove all of the nasty factory insulation from the floor and firewall.....LOL!

dhutton 10-13-2021 08:19 AM

I use a layer of Noico followed by a layer of Thermozite foil backed felt.

Don

JSchmitz 10-13-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhutton (Post 6286725)
I use a layer of Noico followed by a layer of Thermozite foil backed felt.

Don

I'll take a look at that.

dataway 10-13-2021 08:56 AM

dhutton ... I like the look of that Thermozite a lot, just what I was looking for, fiber material sandwiched with foil ... combined with the Noico that's got to be like a Mercedes inside. The Thermozite looks like it would be excellent on the roof.

dhutton 10-13-2021 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataway (Post 6286733)
dhutton ... I like the look of that Thermozite a lot, just what I was looking for, fiber material sandwiched with foil ... combined with the Noico that's got to be like a Mercedes inside. The Thermozite looks like it would be excellent on the roof.

I learned about the Thermozite from Tracy at Recovery Room. If it’s good enough for him it’s good enough for the likes of me. Great product imho.

I used to be a Dynamat user but a friend gave me some Noico and I prefer it now.

Don

'ol Pinion head 10-13-2021 03:19 PM

Thanks Don for the tip on the Thermozite!
Lightweight heat reduction in front floor pan/trans hump area are my main concern.

Formulabruce 10-14-2021 09:48 AM

I put in dynamat ( Eastwood version) and rolled it into ever crevice.
The ceiling ( outter skin) gets over 200 on a dark car. I used a thin insulation with reflection one one side. About the thickness of reflectix

fairwayhit 10-14-2021 10:22 AM

Mr Don, Where all do you put the Thermozite and where do you put the Noico?

I assume floors and firewall

How about inner/outer door?
Quarter panels wheel wells?
Trunk?

Do you use any of the Noico red liner or just the butyl mat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhutton 10-14-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairwayhit (Post 6287048)
Mr Don, Where all do you put the Thermozite and where do you put the Noico?

I assume floors and firewall

How about inner/outer door?
Quarter panels wheel wells?
Trunk?

Do you use any of the Noico red liner or just the butyl mat?

I put Noico on floors, roof, doors, cowl, firewall, inside quarter panels and on the trunk floor. Just the butyl mat. I use Thermozite everywhere except inside door and quarters where it would get wet. I also carpet the trunk. It makes a huge difference in road noise.

Don

dataway 10-14-2021 06:37 PM

I'm liking this conversation ... where most people are looking for performance from their GTO, I'm looking for bone stock performance, but I want the ride, AC, quietness and comfort to be better than original and as close to a modern luxury can as I can get.

dataway 10-22-2021 12:40 AM

Wow, the Thermozite is like unobtanium right now. Few places on the other side of the country (CA) I can get it, but shipping is very high. When ebay is out of something you know it's scarce :)

Update: Found some, Sailrite in IN had some, reasonable price and shipping, and I've ordered sewing materials from them before. Ordered 6 yards, about $27/yd, $22 in shipping. Get it while you can. Should be close to enough to do the roof and floor. Now to get some Noico.

dhutton .... which Noico do you use? The 80 mil with foil, or the 150 mil without (Red)?

dhutton 10-22-2021 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataway (Post 6288991)
Wow, the Thermozite is like unobtanium right now. Few places on the other side of the country (CA) I can get it, but shipping is very high. When ebay is out of something you know it's scarce :)

Update: Found some, Sailrite in IN had some, reasonable price and shipping, and I've ordered sewing materials from them before. Ordered 6 yards, about $27/yd, $22 in shipping. Get it while you can. Should be close to enough to do the roof and floor. Now to get some Noico.

dhutton .... which Noico do you use? The 80 mil with foil, or the 150 mil without (Red)?

80 mil with foil.

Don

fairwayhit 10-22-2021 02:52 PM

Thank you for this info!

'ol Pinion head 10-22-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhutton (Post 6289135)
80 mil with foil.

Don

Don, since you've used both products. Do you have a good idea of how much the combination of two materials added to the weight of your Pontiac?

Have several ongoing projects & a customer's '70 GTO incoming that we prev ordered repro tar based front floor & trans hump insulation, but am planning a thin foil backed insulation for the roof. I plan on weighing the tar based floor insulation for that car, as I would rather save weight in its place in several other projects.

dhutton 10-22-2021 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head (Post 6289203)
Don, since you've used both products. Do you have a good idea of how much the combination of two materials added to the weight of your Pontiac?

Have several ongoing projects & a customer's '70 GTO incoming that we prev ordered repro tar based front floor & trans hump insulation, but am planning a thin foil backed insulation for the roof. I plan on weighing the tar based floor insulation for that car, as I would rather save weight in its place in several other projects.

Sorry no idea. The Noico is not as heavy as Dynamat as near as I can tell. Noico is just a sound deadener, it doesn’t give significant thermal insulation imho. Thermozite is very light but gives decent thermal insulation.

My builds are purely focused on reducing NVH and heat versus shaving weight.

Don

NeighborsComplaint 10-24-2021 12:38 PM

I did the FrostKing material for the sound deadening and heat reflection and used reproduction pad for the feel and fit.