PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   trouble with my formula hood (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853923)

grd777 10-12-2021 11:29 PM

trouble with my formula hood

i have a 72 formula , i need to adjust my hood latch or something else , it seems that when i close the hood i have really slam it to shut it also just hits my rad shroud . any help at were i should start to fix this

Judge273 10-13-2021 06:19 AM

Is anything going good on this car?

grd777 10-13-2021 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge273 (Post 6286713)
Is anything going good on this car?

YES ?

Judge273 10-13-2021 07:45 AM

I only ask because of the many many threads with issues and never a picture of the car?

RicksGTO 10-13-2021 08:50 AM

Might post a close up pic of the underside of the hoods metal receiver "box" opening that the latch goes into and engages with. Not saying that is causing all your problem but that's a common source of issues on having trouble with the hood closing along with the latch alignment.

78w72 10-13-2021 09:35 AM

sounds like an adjustment issue with the hood or the core support or possibly the latch. the latch has quite a bit of movement & small adjustments will change how it engages the hood. i realize thats pretty general but i think playing with adjustments of one or all of those things will help make it close right. the hood should close very smoothly, i can lower the hood on my 72 until it just touches the latch & then gently push it down by hand & hear the clicks of the latch.

& i gotta ask again, do you have the service or body manuals for the car? & yes, please post some pics of these issues so we can see whats going on.

Formulabruce 10-13-2021 11:52 AM

How does the back of hood fit? This very much affects the
Front.
Lots of questions a few good pics could answer.

lfdsteve 10-13-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge273 (Post 6286724)
I only ask because of the many many threads with issues and never a picture of the car?

Be sure to let us all know the appropriate number of posts for tech problems per car in the tech section please. I would hate to get cross with you…
Thanks!

Judge273 10-13-2021 03:54 PM

Take a count and see…

grd777 10-13-2021 04:26 PM

i should be able to work it out on my own . I have done many many cars mostly mustangs , cant be that hard
thanks

grd777 10-13-2021 08:19 PM

got it all worked out , no big deal

grd777 10-13-2021 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78w72 (Post 6286743)
sounds like an adjustment issue with the hood or the core support or possibly the latch. the latch has quite a bit of movement & small adjustments will change how it engages the hood. i realize thats pretty general but i think playing with adjustments of one or all of those things will help make it close right. the hood should close very smoothly, i can lower the hood on my 72 until it just touches the latch & then gently push it down by hand & hear the clicks of the latch.

& i gotta ask again, do you have the service or body manuals for the car? & yes, please post some pics of these issues so we can see whats going on.

you keep mentioning about the manuals, purchased them all . My experiences with manuals is that they are good when the cars are new. As far as adjustments goes , THEY ARE useless when a car is 40-50 years old and has twisted and sagged over the years

thanks for your reply

78w72 10-13-2021 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grd777 (Post 6286918)
you keep mentioning about the manuals, purchased them all . My experiences with manuals is that they are good when the cars are new. As far as adjustments goes , THEY ARE useless when a car is 40-50 years old and has twisted and sagged over the years

thanks for your reply

only mention it because a lot of things asked are easy to find in service manuals so i never knew for sure if you had them. for repairs & service the age of the car doesnt really matter. yes they can sag over the years but the basic adjustment & assembly procedures still apply.

glad to hear you figured it out, nothing wrong with asking for help, ive done it quite a bit myself over the years on some things, but vague questions with no pics to help show the issue makes it difficult for others to provide help.

care to mention what it was that solved the issue??