PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   UPDATE 421 Bathtub intake project #3 (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859066)

tom s 05-31-2022 07:28 PM

UPDATE 421 Bathtub intake project #3

Guys,the last thread had grown again,so I thought to start another.
We have shipped 12 intakes at this time and more will be going.I posted where we are at on the end of the last thread of who still shows open for payment and then opening up for the second group to get their payment in.So far the people that got them are impressed with the fit and finish and also the way they were shipped.If you have not ordered one a have decide you want one PM me ASAP and text me at 5622430570.It takes 6 weeks to get more castings!
$2565 with shipping.Tom

Half-Inch Stud 06-01-2022 09:36 AM

Congrats on your project turned product!

421mike 06-01-2022 01:34 PM

SD intake

Guys, I got mine (early) and it is beautiful. Please, if you ordered either these guys went to a lot of trouble to produce them, so get your payment in and if you have changed your mind let them know. You guys who have received yours, please post and let everyone know. Thanks to Tom and John. Mike

Skip Fix 06-01-2022 03:18 PM

Tom thanks for spearheading and being involved in the project I know it has been talked about for a long time.

My check went out today! I am excited about getting it, and I think it may clear under the 65 GTO hood.

4zpeed 06-01-2022 05:37 PM

Got mine yesterday an I'm over the moon! Superb casting, better than the pictures exhibit! You really need to see it in person to appreciate how much better the finish is compared to other intake castings. There is absolutely no comparison.

A result of the 808-F aluminum used makes the surface appear illuminated with a nice sheen. The flat machined surfaces show no hint of porosity and appear more like solid steel, and the overall machining quality just doesn't get any better.

On a scale of one to elated, I'm ecstatic! Can't wait to test function!
I'm out of town for a day or two, I'll post a few pics when I get back.

Quoted from the literature included :
"Enclosed is a Pontiac "Bathtub" style dual quad intake manifold. The casting is a replica of the early '60's Pontiac manifold."
"This product was produced 100% in the USA with a US based foundry, US pattern makers, machine shops, etc."

Thank you Tom, Thank you John, and to All others involved in this venture.

Frank

beemergary 06-01-2022 06:04 PM

Like 4zpeed say's--Thats why I will never paint mine.

Tom63LeMans 06-02-2022 04:40 PM

Sent my check out this morning.

Thank you Tom and John for all the work put in to make this happen. I doubted that my ‘63 would never see a SD intake. Can’t wait to get it!

sdbob 06-03-2022 03:20 PM

Sent my check today. USPS said be there Monday. I told them no signature. I cant wait. Wish you guys wouldn't keep saying how great the intake is. The suspense is driving my bp up! Thanks to all responsible for this intake being available.

JSuchma 06-03-2022 04:15 PM

Sent payment out today as well. Don't know what I am going to do with it just yet......but I just had to have one. Thanks for all the countless hours and headaches that Tom and John have put into this project. If possible, after all the aluminum chips stop flying, it would be nice to get a count of how many of each design are out in circulation. Thanks, Jeff Suchma

misterp266 06-03-2022 04:19 PM

I’ve been away. Will send a check out ASAP.

tom s 06-03-2022 05:31 PM

Guys,if you or you know anyone that wants a early intake that has not ordered we have a couple Xtra castings that could be machined to be shipped!Tom

sdbob 06-04-2022 09:17 PM

Tom I didnt put my email address in letter,SDBOB1455@GMail.Com or 724-689-8973.

pontsd 06-06-2022 01:29 PM

Check went out Friday USPS priority should be there hopefully today also sent info in PM.

thanks for all your efforts getting these made .

JSchmitz 06-06-2022 02:08 PM

Can't believe no one has posted pics of their new treasure! Come on guys, brag a little here! :)

ANDYA 06-06-2022 11:02 PM

Bathtub, late style, arrived today. Very well packed. I’m extremely impressed with the quality of this casting. Super happy! A huge thank you to Tom for getting this project off the ground and to John for getting it across the finish line. Gentlemen, you made the Pontiac community proud!!!

Jack Gifford 06-07-2022 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSchmitz (Post 6347581)
... Can't believe no one has posted pics of their new treasure...

Mike Garblik posted pictures in the other thread.

61-63 06-07-2022 04:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
B-man and several others have asked that people post pictures of their intakes so I will post pictures of mine. I bought one of each and they are identical except one has CHG 9 on the front crossover and one has CHG 10, and the water crossover passages and some bolt locations of course differ to accommodate the different series of heads. The phenolic spacers are 1/4" and are made and sold by Dashman's, part CAFB.250

https://www.dashman.net/search.php?q=cafb&submit=Search

The original bathtubs had 3/8” wood spacers I believe.

The carbs on the one intake are real 3433/35 SD carbs but with the large diameter airhorns on them.

As can be seen in one picture I am in the process of making up a batch of bathtub linkage. All but one of these is spoken for and was promised to people during the time it took Tom sand John to get this project done. I have no interest in doing more batches so if someone would like to take production of this linkage on for the hobby send me a pm and I may hand this off to you. FYI this linkage was designed to work with AFBs that have super duty throttle arms and it may not work very well with other carburetors or throttle arms or not at all.

JSchmitz 06-08-2022 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 61-63 (Post 6347884)
B-man and several others have asked that people post pictures of their intakes so I will post pictures of mine. I bought one of each and they are identical except one has CHG 9 on the front crossover and one has CHG 10, and the water crossover passages and some bolt locations of course differ to accommodate the different series of heads. The phenolic spacers are 1/4" and are made and sold by Dashman's, part CAFB.250

https://www.dashman.net/search.php?q=cafb&submit=Search

The original bathtubs had 3/8” wood spacers I believe.

The carbs on the one intake are real 3433/35 SD carbs but with the large diameter airhorns on them.

As can be seen in one picture I am in the process of making up a batch of bathtub linkage. All but one of these is spoken for and was promised to people during the time it took Tom sand John to get this project done. I have no interest in doing more batches so if someone would like to take production of this linkage on for the hobby send me a pm and I may hand this off to you. FYI this linkage was designed to work with AFBs that have super duty throttle arms and it may not work very well with other carburetors or throttle arms or not at all.

NICE photo shoot! Thanks!

61-63 06-08-2022 04:29 PM

Folks I've had a major producer of carburetor components step up and indicate interest in taking on the bathtub linkage thing so that is off the table.

Half-Inch Stud 06-08-2022 07:22 PM

So who is going to post the oil-seasoning recipe (like the cadt iron fry pan) for those that prefer no-paint?

What is the potential to mount Spreadbores for us in the Q-JET generation?