PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other models Pontiac Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=494)
-   -   Dual Quad 428 in a '31 Pontiac coupe (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765233)

31 B'ville 11-24-2014 04:20 PM

Dual Quad 428 in a '31 Pontiac coupe

I would like to say a big THANK YOU to Spotts Performance for the awesome job he did building the engine for my '31 Pontiac hot rod. It's a dual quad '69 428 and it looks and sounds great! I wanted a vintage-looking engine and am very happy with the finished product. Now to get the rest of the car finished (got a long way to go).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofJAFJ58U6A!!

jmt455 11-24-2014 05:39 PM

That's going to be FUN!

Txbobcat 11-25-2014 08:34 AM

It looks pretty doesnt it?

brut4s 06-11-2015 05:32 AM

Updates?

31 B'ville 06-20-2015 08:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Air filters, exhaust manifolds, oil filter adapter, driveshaft installed. Had the car outside for the first time in 15 years for the Pypes ( PY ) show in Hatfield PA today.

Mike Davis 06-29-2015 03:23 PM

Love it. Been wanting to build a old Pontiac Street Rod for years. Good luck and keep posting pics and progress.

31 B'ville 03-24-2016 08:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some progress. Cowl is installed and nailed to the wood. Floors from under the seat back to the rumbleseat are also installed. The body was stretched over the wood from the rear forward and also gets nailed around the perimeter. Headlights, grille, and hood are just set in place for mockup. Getting the doors to fit and installed is next.

Ducks Goat 05-28-2016 03:59 AM

Awesome build so far. Who did all the woodwork? I've got a '30 that needs all the wood replaced.

31 B'ville 05-28-2016 07:41 AM

Thanks. I bought a complete wood kit from Autowood.net. Everything was pre-cut, and I coated it with epoxy before I assembled it. I wanted a chopped roof and they cut the wood according to my specifications. Most people building cars like ours fabricate metal to replace the wood, but I like the sound-deadening qualities and feel of a wood- framed body.

projectfolly 09-18-2016 07:51 PM

Car looks great!

I have a few questions.

How much did you take out of the roof for the chop?

You mentioned in your last post: "I like the sound-deadening qualities and feel of a wood- framed body."
I understand how the wood would affect the sound deadening qualities, but since I've never ridden in a wood bodied car, I'm not sure what the feel would be like, so if possible, could you explain it?
The reason I ask is I'm helping my neighbor with a '31 Chevy coupe. He's just starting to put the wood frame together, and I'd like to pass along your observations

Thanks!

31 B'ville 09-18-2016 08:54 PM

Thank you.

We removed 3 inches from the windshield and 2 1/2 inches from the rear window for the chop. I looked at a as many chopped '31 GM coupes ( mostly Chevy ) as I could find online and at shows before determining those dimensions.

The "feel" I referred to was the solid "thunk" ( if that's the right term ) you feel and hear when you close the door on a wood-bodied car. I guess it could be duplicated in a steel-framed body with enough sound deadener.

I myself have never ridden in a wood-bodied car either, but I am anxious ! !

Jack Gifford 09-19-2016 02:39 AM

All four doors of my unrestored 1917 Buick touring car "thunk" fine. Too bad the chassis does so much twisting/flexing/creaking/clunking. Not to mention the noise and vibration of an engine with no counterweights on the crank!

[I apologize for intruding on this thread]

GTOWAGON 09-19-2016 10:47 AM

no wood in mine and my doors thunk real good

projectfolly 09-20-2016 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31 B'ville (Post 5631553)
Thank you.

We removed 3 inches from the windshield and 2 1/2 inches from the rear window for the chop. I looked at a as many chopped '31 GM coupes ( mostly Chevy ) as I could find online and at shows before determining those dimensions.

The "feel" I referred to was the solid "thunk" ( if that's the right term ) you feel and hear when you close the door on a wood-bodied car. I guess it could be duplicated in a steel-framed body with enough sound deadener.

I myself have never ridden in a wood-bodied car either, but I am anxious ! !

Thanks for the info!
I think you nailed it with the chop. Just enough to give it better proportions, not too much to make it look cartoonish. Slight rake front to rear - well done.
I look forward to following your progress!

brut4s 02-06-2017 08:24 PM

Any updates?

31 B'ville 02-07-2017 05:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Both doors are finally fitted and on the car. Redesigned and installed front shock mounts. Modified and installed electric windshield wipers from Newport Engineering.
Next are the door handles, latches, etc., and then its time to sort out the seating, steering and brakes.

ta-69 02-07-2017 08:49 PM

How do you like the wiper set up from Newport Engineering. I need wipers for my 34. Thanks Jim

31 B'ville 02-07-2017 09:49 PM

I like it very much. It is a sturdy, well-built unit. They don't make a system for GM older than 1935, which is the first year the wipers were below the windshield, so I bought the kit for a 1931 Ford Model A and adapted it to fit my '31 Pontiac. Hopefully I will never need to use them , kind of like the snowblower in my shed!

31 B'ville 02-14-2022 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been a while since I posted any updates. For reasons unknown to myself, most of the pictures I try to post show up turned 90 or 180 degrees and I am unable to correct it.
I've made a lot of progress, but still a long way to go.

tom s 02-14-2022 11:16 PM

Now all you need is one of our Bathtub tunnel ram intakes!Tom