PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   67-79 Big Pontiac TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   Need help confirming tail light/brake light wiring for 67 Grand Prix (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856272)

JPN_GP 01-27-2022 10:35 PM

Need help confirming tail light/brake light wiring for 67 Grand Prix

3 Attachment(s)
Hey all,

I've been working on getting my GP a driver and one of the small projects is to get the lights functional. Fortunately the lights do turn on but the harness has had new sockets installed with a bunch of splices and as a result I'm not sure what the correct wiring is. I consulted the FSM and the GP seems to be different from the diagram since there's 2 sockets per side on the diagram (unless I'm misinterpreting) but on the car there's 3 sockets per side, because of the unique to GP tail light housings. The thing that's confusing me is that the centermost bulb socket in the taillight housing only has 1 wire, instead of the 2 wire socket for the brake lights. The driver's side of the harness is in the best condition and since there's only 1 crimp connector I believe the wiring to mostly factory but again I'm not sure. Any ideas?

I should also mention that the outer 2 lights are using a 1157 bulb and the inner is using a 1156

scld1354 01-28-2022 01:59 AM

Here is what I have for wires and colors on my 67 GP:

Driver side
- innermost bulb = one wire (brown)
- center bulb = two wires (yellow, brown) NOTE: this one actually has two yellow wires going into one filament and the brown wire going to the other filament.
- outermost bulb = two wires (yellow, brown)
The reverse light wire is taped inside the same harness and is a lighter green.

Pass side
- innermost bulb = one wire (brown)
- center bulb = two wires (green, brown) NOTE: this one actually has two green wires going into one filament and the brown wire going to the other filament
- outermost bulb = two wires (green, brown)
The reverse light wire is taped inside the same harness and is a lighter green.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

JPN_GP 01-28-2022 09:42 AM

Thanks for the confirmation, that's exactly what I'm seeing on my car. It looks like I will need to replace most of the bulb sockets though, a lot of the metal tabs are brittle and have broken off and have a lot of corrosion. The passenger side is in much worse shape than the drivers side, there must be at least 8 different butt connectors used to piece together the harness.

scld1354 01-28-2022 01:39 PM

Those metal tabs hold the socket to the housing and also provide the ground. Make sure the contact area on the housings are clean too.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

JPN_GP 01-28-2022 02:18 PM

A lot of the metal tabs have broken off, with some having only 1 tab. The sockets are definitely corroded giving poor contact so I'll see how much I can clean them up