PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   68-69 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   How Do I Free Up Stuck Seat Belts? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849547)

71 T/A 04-03-2021 01:19 PM

How Do I Free Up Stuck Seat Belts?

I bought a 68 GTO convertible a few months ago.
The driver and passenger seat belts cannot be adjusted as they are stuck.
I squirted a little PB Blaster in the custom seat belt latch holding the belt but they're still stuck.
Any ideas?

Scarebird 04-03-2021 01:59 PM

Have you given thought to replacing them?

They are 50+ years old and that material may not be up to the task anymore.

north 04-03-2021 05:00 PM

Im assuming you are referring to the buckle rather than the retractors, if so A bucket full of hot water with some baking soda will loosen up all the gunk build up without bleaching the color. If they are quite rusty it’s tougher to get rid of the rust.

Carefully opening up the buckle is the next step if a good soaking didn’t do the job. Especially with the standard plastic buckles you have to be really careful not to crack the cover.

68ragtop 04-04-2021 08:03 AM

Are the belts buckled together across the seat bottoms, did they get stuck after someone latched them?

71 T/A 04-04-2021 12:58 PM

Belts are stuck at the buckles. I sprayed a good amount of WD40 in one buckle. Back seat belts are all good. It's the two front buckles that are stuck and do not allow the belts to pass through to be adjusted.

OCMDGTO 04-04-2021 09:18 PM

X2 it might be time for new belts if you plan to drive it

Ben M. 04-05-2021 02:48 AM

I have spent a ton of time on rusty stuck seat belts. If they don't come free with PB Blaster and lots of mechanical agitation... it's time to replace them.

68ragtop 04-05-2021 08:06 PM

So are you talking about those pins that release for adjusting the buckle belt length? I assumed you meant they were clipped together & wouldn't unlock. If you have the std belts the plastic covers can be removed to expose a little more. have to be careful so you don't break them, but its not too bad.

71 T/A 04-07-2021 03:56 PM

Removed the two front stuck belts and sent them to get rebuilt.

4zpeed 04-07-2021 04:40 PM

Link Please? Wondering if they are the deluxe or plastic and do they restore both types.

Soaking the belts in anything besides water would cause me concern given their age.

Glad you opted to seek a professional option, thanks in advance.

Frank

Half-Inch Stud 04-07-2021 06:38 PM

soak the belt systems in a 5 gallon bucket with warm water & Tide or similar detergent overnight.
Next day take em " squeegy them" on the bucket edge and resoak a few times, and run the buckle up and down. Put out to air dry. supple.

You can rebuild the buckle alot easier now too. toothbruh helps.

bill ryder 04-07-2021 07:06 PM

Search on youtube. Several good examples on how to take apart and clean up stuck buckles...

"Bill"!